• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Gianni Moscon Bandwagon Jumping Thread

Page 50 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

rick james said:
Valv.Piti said:
SafeBet said:
Well next year I sure expect him to be much better in the spring classics.
Yeah, it was quite puzzling why he was so bad last year in those races. He could win anything from Omloop to Liege.
they got his weight wrong for him this year

How could Sky, a squad that harps on marginal gains and attention to every detail, get a rider's weight wrong?

Angliru said:
rick james said:
Valv.Piti said:
SafeBet said:
Yeah, it was quite puzzling why he was so bad last year in those races. He could win anything from Omloop to Liege.

How could Sky, a squad that harps on marginal gains and attention to every detail, get a rider's weight wrong?
as much as you don't want to believe it, sky sometimes get things wrong....it happens

rick james said:
Angliru said:
rick james said:
Valv.Piti said:
SafeBet said:

as much as you don't want to believe it, sky sometimes get things wrong....it happens

You imply that you know this as a fact and my question still goes unanswered. How would this happen? Do they monitor the rider weight during various periods of the season, making sure that the goals (weight wise) are being met? How do you know this is the cause for what many see as his not meeting expectations at the mentioned races?

I read it in a interview after the spring classics, I’m sure Moscon said he was 6kg heavier than he was at the vuelta the year before and sky hoped it would have been better for the cobbles .... if I get bored on the night shift tonight I might try and dig out the article were I read it

Re:

rick james said:
I read it in a interview after the spring classics, I’m sure Moscon said he was 6kg heavier than he was at the vuelta the year before and sky hoped it would have been better for the cobbles .... if I get bored on the night shift tonight I might try and dig out the article were I read it

Okay,thanks.

pastronef said:
Pozzato:"Moscon is good, but there are riders better than him in all areas. It will be difficult for him to win a big classic, because he isn't fast on sprint. But he is a good person, I like him so much. He isn't lucky, because what he did at Tour everyone does, he just got caught"

https://twitter.com/laflammerouge16/status/1048689560568385536
Poor Moscon, everyone hits riders, tries to end careers by crashing colleagues, showers riders in racist insults, gets dragged by a car to get a swift return to the peloton. Poor, poor Moscon, so unlucky that he was caught so many times and others weren't :(

LaFlorecita said:
pastronef said:
Pozzato:"Moscon is good, but there are riders better than him in all areas. It will be difficult for him to win a big classic, because he isn't fast on sprint. But he is a good person, I like him so much. He isn't lucky, because what he did at Tour everyone does, he just got caught"

https://twitter.com/laflammerouge16/status/1048689560568385536
Poor Moscon, everyone hits riders, tries to end careers by crashing colleagues, showers riders in racist insults, gets dragged by a car to get a swift return to the peloton. Poor, poor Moscon, so unlucky that he was caught so many times and others weren't :(
Ok, prove he tried to end another cyclist career

GuyIncognito said:
pastronef said:
It will be difficult for him to win a big classic, because he isn't fast on sprint.

And yet people keep parroting the myth that he's really fast.

I can't tell you how many commentators I heard say this week that he would've beaten Valverde if he was up there in the finale.
I think that many think that he's fast because of the Vuelta stage where he finished second behind Trentin but they didn't thake into account that was an uphill sprint.
His level against fast finishers in a flat finish is the one we've seen in Roubaix last year, he stand no chance. Looking at how he sprinted against Bardet two weeks ago i think he's not certain to win even against Nibali.

Nirvana said:
GuyIncognito said:
pastronef said:
It will be difficult for him to win a big classic, because he isn't fast on sprint.

I can't tell you how many commentators I heard say this week that he would've beaten Valverde if he was up there in the finale.
I think that many think that he's fast because of the Vuelta stage where he finished second behind Trentin but they didn't thake into account that was an uphill sprint.
His level against fast finishers in a flat finish is the one we've seen in Roubaix last year, he stand no chance. Looking at how he sprinted against Bardet two weeks ago i think he's not certain to win even against Nibali.
I think he's pretty fast. Roubaix doesn't mean anything, he was spent already and tried to go early because they had only just caught back on. That stage at the Vuelta was slightly uphill, but the last couple of hundred meters were pretty flat I think. He beat Bardet in a similar fashion to how Valverde beat Bardet. I am not convinced at all that he would have beaten Valverde in a sprint, but I do think he would have had a chance to win.

He needs at least an Ans like finish to be competitive, another good sprint by him was in Clunia at the Vuelta Burgos last year where the last kilometer had an average around 5% with pitch to 8%. But he's likely to find someone better than him almost everytime also in finish like that, the only way i can see him winning from a group is something like Huy where he could put on a power acceleration on steeper gradients but not longer because as we've seen in Innsbruck after 2 kms on steep gradients he cracked.

I really don't see him as a prolific winner even if with his skillset he has chances to finish solo in a considerable amount of races and theoretically he has still room to improve, and also improving his behaviours could help him to improve even as a rider.

kingjr said:
GuyIncognito said:
pastronef said:

Well some also said that Dumoulin had a shot. I thought that was even funnier

Paul Sherwin was insisting that Valverde and Woods were equal in their sprinting abilities.

Angliru said:
kingjr said:
GuyIncognito said:
pastronef said:

Paul Sherwin was insisting that Valverde and Woods were equal in their sprinting abilities.

Was it only "this afternoon" or in general?

Angliru said:
kingjr said:
GuyIncognito said:
pastronef said:

"Equal" would be stretching it, but Woods is a good finisher. Valverde was taking a risk by leading him out, but he cramped in the finale.

I've seen no indication that Moscon is a particularly quick sprinter, but he's one of those bike riding talents that you wouldn't be surprised if one day he were to come around the wheel of a Sagan/Alaphilippe/Valverde/Kwiatkowski to win a classic or a GT breakaway stage.

Leinster said:
Angliru said:
kingjr said:
GuyIncognito said:
pastronef said:

"Equal" would be stretching it, but Woods is a good finisher. Valverde was taking a risk by leading him out, but he cramped in the finale.

I've seen no indication that Moscon is a particularly quick sprinter, but he's one of those bike riding talents that you wouldn't be surprised if one day he were to come around the wheel of a Sagan/Alaphilippe/Valverde/Kwiatkowski to win a classic or a GT breakaway stage.

He's bested Alaphillpe a few times already.

Leinster said:
Angliru said:
kingjr said:
GuyIncognito said:
pastronef said:

Yeah, he won oh so many sprints :rolleyes:
Cramping or not, he wouldn't beat Valverde even if he was leading him out in the sprint for the last 20km!

GuyIncognito said:
Tim Booth said:
when they have appeared in the same race, score is
Moscon 6 v Alaphilippe 18
Moscon 5 v Sagan 39
Moscon 1 v Valverde 15
Moscon 6 v Kwiatkowski 16

Shouldn't you include only sprints? It's what's being discussed, no?

When both have been in the top ten (not checking if they are flat or finished same time)
Moscon 5 v Alaphilippe 3
Moscon 0 v Sagan 1
Moscon 2 v Valverde 2
(according to CQ Head to head)
Stats against Kwiatkowski not genuine competition because they are teammates.

TRENDING THREADS