• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Golf Thread

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Indeed, tragedy struck and your boy Guido had to go home. :( He's in good company though with J. Day, Kuchar, and especially Michelson. Michelson really stunk it up in the first round, it just shows how a bad few shots and you're out of the tournament. The pros make golf look easy.

Yes, my boy Jazz is doing okay, and I'm especially interested in how the couple of amateurs (Schmidt and Lin) will do. Perhaps now that Guido is out you could adopt one of them? I always like to root for the amateurs anyway...

I do not like Marcel Siem's hair bun. I don't mind men wearing the occasional Mr. Sensitive ponytail, but that bun is just too offensive. You could poke an eye out with that thing.

Ha!
Where to begin?
I'll skip over the Michelson part, just because I have unkind words to say about his conduct off the golf course.
I love the amateur angle at the majors, but for some reason I haven't paid attention to amateurs at the Open. I have no idea why. Thank you for the suggestion, but truth be told, I cannot take either Schmidt nor Lin under my wing here at the 2021 Open. Reason being is it's too late. I have no clue who they are and there is only one round to go. But I wish them the best.
Also, I have no idea who Marcel Siem is. This might have something to do with the fact that my local service provider is, for some unknown reason, not providing coverage of the 2021 Open. I have had to rely on highlight coverage after each round and have yet to see this Marcel person you are referring to.
I will look him up.
Today your guy Jazz JJ Janewattananond played a round he would like to forget. I don't need to tell you that JJ Jazz is T64 after posting a disappointing round of +4. Note to members of the JJ Jazz Janewattananond fan club (of which you are likely the only member): Chin up.
Good ol' JJ Jazz is in good company. Not only is he tied with Bryson DeChambeau, he is going into Sunday's final round tied with multiple major winner Padraig Harrington.
Not bad company to keep going into the final round of the 2021 Open.

Reactions: Tricycle Rider
Ha!
Where to begin?
I'll skip over the Michelson part, just because I have unkind words to say about his conduct off the golf course.
I love the amateur angle at the majors, but for some reason I haven't paid attention to amateurs at the Open. I have no idea why. Thank you for the suggestion, but truth be told, I cannot take either Schmidt nor Lin under my wing here at the 2021 Open. Reason being is it's too late. I have no clue who they are and there is only one round to go. But I wish them the best.
Also, I have no idea who Marcel Siem is. This might have something to do with the fact that my local service provider is, for some unknown reason, not providing coverage of the 2021 Open. I have had to rely on highlight coverage after each round and have yet to see this Marcel person you are referring to.
I will look him up.
Today your guy Jazz JJ Janewattananond played a round he would like to forget. I don't need to tell you that JJ Jazz is T64 after posting a disappointing round of +4. Note to members of the JJ Jazz Janewattananond fan club (of which you are likely the only member): Chin up.
Good ol' JJ Jazz is in good company. Not only is he tied with Bryson DeChambeau, he is going into Sunday's final round tied with multiple major winner Padraig Harrington.
Not bad company to keep going into the final round of the 2021 Open.
It's a very intense last day on the golf course, Schmid the Amateur did actually pretty well and tied with Lee Westwood. My boy Jazz tied with Rory and Adam Scott, I see a bright future for this kid.

My heart is breaking for Spieth, since yesterday's last two holes he just can't seem to stay away from those bogeys. He'll probably still get a nice paycheck and end up in the top 3, but I'm sure he'll be kicking himself for getting so close and then farting it away.

Oosthuizen and Morikawa are battling it out for 1st, don't know anything about Morikawa. But seeing as Oosthuizen has been runner-up so many times I kinda want him to win.

Stay tuned...

Oooh, Spieth just eagled on the 7th, I missed it because I'm trying to follow the last stage of the Tour as well. (As boring as it is in terms of GC standings I'm still curious whether Cavendish can beat Merckx's record.)

Anyway, keep eagle-ing Spieth, there may just be some hope for you yet!

Even though it's kind of breaking my heart, but I thank you for the updates.
And yeah, I know what you mean about that Siem guy. He looks like a combination between a bullfighter and a Sumari Warrior. That guy is intense. He goes all nutty even after tapping in a par putt.
Morikawa is on fire, Spieth is holding steady, and Rahm is inching his way up. Ooosthuizen is dropping off though, I think his chances of winning are once again shot.

A few more holes to go though - stay tuned!

Yer breaking my heart here, TR. At least someone gets to watch the action.
I did get to see the TDF final stage, so there's that.
Good ol' Wout can do it all. Put him on the course beside your boy JJ Jazz Janewattananond and am sure he'd give him a go.
Congrats to young Morikawa, hopefully he won't have to suffer through some stupid jet flyover like Rahm did. Speaking of Rahm...

Nice he was able to come from behind and tie with Oosthuizen for 3rd. And my sentimental fave Spieth, well, coming in 2nd isn't too bad. I'm sure those two successive bogeys in the third round will haunt him for a while, though.

Well, so that's that. Morikawa -- a guy I had never heard of but turns out to have already won a major -- wins the Claret Mug (or whatever the hell it's called). Seriously, good for him. Based on the highlights I watched, the guy was lights out on the green. That's amazing. It would have been great to see a round or two of high winds blowing off the ocean and players doing their best to keep their knickers on, but it is what it is. Congrats to a worthy winner.

And yeah, good for Rahm. This guy seems to have come out of nowhere. I have no idea about the jet lag incident, so please elaborate if/when you have a chance. Otherwise I can look it up.

So that's a wrap. It's been a fun week, despite the fact I didn't see a single live shot at the Open. Thanks for the updates and analysis. The best poster won. Cheers to you and JJ Jazz Janewattananound.

Well, so that's that. Morikawa -- a guy I had never heard of but turns out to have already won a major -- wins the Claret Mug (or whatever the hell it's called). Seriously, good for him. Based on the highlights I watched, the guy was lights out on the green. That's amazing. It would have been great to see a round or two of high winds blowing off the ocean and players doing their best to keep their knickers on, but it is what it is. Congrats to a worthy winner.

And yeah, good for Rahm. This guy seems to have come out of nowhere. I have no idea about the jet lag incident, so please elaborate if/when you have a chance. Otherwise I can look it up.

So that's a wrap. It's been a fun week, despite the fact I didn't see a single live shot at the Open. Thanks for the updates and analysis. The best poster won. Cheers to you and JJ Jazz Janewattananound.
Bah, no need to congratulate me, your guess was as good as mine. :)

I completely agree the Open should have been a lot wilder in terms of weather... I'm used to seeing players having to bundle up because of the rain and the wind. No such thing happened at the links course this week, but hopefully next year's weather at St. Andrews will proffer a lot more excitement and unpredictability.

Reactions: the delgados
Just tuned in to watch a bit of the Ryder Cup, it looks like the players are spending more time in the bunkers than on the actual greens. :tearsofjoy:

I think the US v. Europe format is a bit silly, but the course looks nice (and windy!) and the players look like they're having fun. So, it's all good.

On the heels of the very exuberant March Madness tourney comes another great tournament, the first major of the season - the Masters! golf clap

The biggest story, and probably the only reason many people will tune in, is because of Tiger Woods, his body was already a wreck prior, but after that car crash a while back it's hard to say how well he will do. But seeing as I don't have any problems with Tiger and his past questionable proclivities I wish him well.

Otherwise who the heck knows, it's really anybody's game and fight for the fugly green jacket. We'll know more come Friday after the cut.

Reactions: jmdirt
On the heels of the very exuberant March Madness tourney comes another great tournament, the first major of the season - the Masters! golf clap

The biggest story, and probably the only reason many people will tune in, is because of Tiger Woods, his body was already a wreck prior, but after that car crash a while back it's hard to say how well he will do. But seeing as I don't have any problems with Tiger and his past questionable proclivities I wish him well.

Otherwise who the heck knows, it's really anybody's game and fight for the fugly green jacket. We'll know more come Friday after the cut.
I would be a crazy story if he wins!

After round 1 Tiger is at a respectable -1, so if he hangs in there today he should make the cut. Paul Casey withdrew before the tourney started, and someone like Sandy Lyle, at +10, can pack it up and go home already. Lyle is 64 though and already an accomplished golfer in his own right, so we'll give him a break.

Besides the Tiger headline perhaps the next biggest story is the glaring absence of Phil Mickelson... I wasn't paying much attention a couple months back, but apparently he had made some controversial comments about the PGA and starting up another league funded by the Saudis. Some other players frowned on Mickelson's views, but more shockingly some of his long, long-time sponsors had dropped him.

Mickelson was not disinvited from the Masters, but just exactly when he will play next is anyone's guess. More on the story here: https://sports.yahoo.com/phil-micke...om-the-masters-felt-at-augusta-200954263.html

After round 1 Tiger is at a respectable -1, so if he hangs in there today he should make the cut. Paul Casey withdrew before the tourney started, and someone like Sandy Lyle, at +10, can pack it up and go home already. Lyle is 64 though and already an accomplished golfer in his own right, so we'll give him a break.

Besides the Tiger headline perhaps the next biggest story is the glaring absence of Phil Mickelson... I wasn't paying much attention a couple months back, but apparently he had made some controversial comments about the PGA and starting up another league funded by the Saudis. Some other players frowned on Mickelson's views, but more shockingly some of his long, long-time sponsors had dropped him.

Mickelson was not disinvited from the Masters, but just exactly when he will play next is anyone's guess. More on the story here: https://sports.yahoo.com/phil-micke...om-the-masters-felt-at-augusta-200954263.html
I read that Phil stands to lose about $40 MIL in endorsement money over his comments. Plus whatever he doesn't win while he skips tournaments.

Tiger looks pretty good for an old man who is on the comeback from some pretty bad physical damage.

The Masters came and went - congrats to Scottie Scheffler for winning his first major! I'm not very familiar with him, but at only 25 I'm sure he's got many more years of pro golf playing left.

Rory had a fantastic last round at 64, I think this was actually the lowest score in the entire tournament. Unfortunately it was a little too late, but he still went home with a healthy 2nd place paycheck. Tiger finished 47th, which is all right. No one was sure if he could play at all, so the fact he even made the cut is a small victory. Some of his peers didn't even get that far.

Next up is the U.S. Open in Brookline, MA in June, but in the meantime I need to focus on some Spring Classics. Paris-Roubaix is coming up next weekend - woooooo! I wouldn't miss it for the world. :)

The PGA Championship is underway, I don't usually pay much attention to it even though it is considered a major. With the biggest names in golf and a $12 million purse I suppose I should...

Rory is looking good so far, but we won't really know anything till after the cut. Stay tuned!

So, somebody won the PGA Championship a while back, don't even know who due to lack of interest. However, there is much drama going on in the world of golf off the course - several very big name players have been suspended by the PGA because of their (very lucrative) participation in a tourney that is backed by Saudi money. I'm not sure I understand it all yet, but here's a link for those who who are eager to follow this hot-off-the- grill golf drama.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/golf/61746560

We're heading into the weekend with some intense competition at the US Open, there is a lot of pressure on Rory because he hasn't won a major in a while. Rory, Morikawa, and Rahm are the only players who are currently in the top 10 that I'm familiar with, but it's really anybody's game.

Though he didn't make the cut I was surprised Mickelson was even playing in the US Open because of the recent noise about him and other established players having joined LIV Golf, I thought he and the others had been banned. Turns out those who had joined LIV are still eligible for the majors, they are just not able to partake in PGA Tour events. PGA, USPGA, PGA Tour, crikes, all these golf organizations are so confusing Monty Python comes to mind.

Politics aside (as with some cycling teams who are financially backed by questionable sources there is controversy about this new LIV Golf group [Saudi money]), I don't really know what to make of it all. I don't blame the golfers for wanting to make money, and I like the idea of shotgun starts and team events. But being I only watch the majors I don't really care who plays LIV golf...

Anyhoo, I think it's all a pissing contest between the establishment and the upstarts, much like the US Open we'll just have to wait and see how it all unfolds. (Though approached Tiger did not join LIV, btw., he probably neither wants nor needs the money and/or controversy.)

Last edited:
It's the last round of the US Open today, for Father's Day I'm making my dad watch because I know he'll fall asleep regardless of what's on TV. ;)

Rory lost his spot in the top 5 yesterday and Morikawa completely messed things up, I think I like Rahm for the win. I'm not familiar with the current leaders Fitzpatrick and Zalatoris, but Rahm won the US Open last year, so he's good a bet as any.

Stay tuned for the scorching hot finale today! (The Brookline course looks kinda nice, btw., it doesn't look as pampered as some of the other courses out there. It looks like it has a bit of wilderness to it.)

TRENDING THREADS