• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Grand 2022 Wollongong UCI Road World Championships Thread, September 18th-25th

Page 44 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Pogacar training with his pals, and his girlfriend on the far right

FdWp-XJWIAEfMjM

Last edited:
Would be good to see Pog win, I like his racing style and was disappointed he couldn’t three-peat the TdF. I also wouldn’t mind if Alaphilippe could defend as he also is exciting to watch. MvDP is playing down his form, maybe he is bluffing? But my patriotism wants to see Matthews pull off the impossible.

But it isn’t an easy race to pick. I just hope the racing is hard and we don’t end up with a bunch finish like 2010 Geelong (Hushovd).

Reactions: Sandisfan
A paltry 67K for the women's junior race tomorrow. Zoe Backstedt won in Leuven last year on a course that was 10K longer, but had 250m less elevation. I don't know how either of these factors might affect tomorrow's result due to knowing pretty much nothing about WJ racing. But if someone was able to gap her on the last climb, there would only be a few K for her to, inevitably, gain back time.

Watched her ITT yesterday on replay, and it was astonishing how much quicker she was just visually, regardless of the timing info. The commentators noted that she was 17 seconds faster than any of the elite riders to the first checkpoint, though of course, they had an extra 20K to ride and had a headwind? Also apparently, the first person to hold four rainbow jerseys simultaneously (Road, ITT, Madison, Cyclo-cross).
That is bizarre that it’s so short—especially now that women pros are gradually getting to perform on tougher course like P-R and LeTour Femmes. I’ve never known—is course design & length for WCs up to the UCI or the host nation’s cycling federation?
Ed. Ack-sorry, I thought this was the women’s elite race at 67k.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
Would be good to see Pog win, I like his racing style and was disappointed he couldn’t three-peat the TdF. I also wouldn’t mind if Alaphilippe could defend as he also is exciting to watch. MvDP is playing down his form, maybe he is bluffing? But my patriotism wants to see Matthews pull off the impossible.

But it isn’t an easy race to pick. I just hope the racing is hard and we don’t end up with a bunch finish like 2010 Geelong (Hushovd).
Geelong was possibly the most entertaining bunch finish in the sport's history TBF though

Reactions: Cookster15