• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Great Big Cycling Transfers, Extensions, and Rumours Thread

Page 349 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
They won't if they're not top 2. Not a chance, but with a good GC rider they might be able to get top 2 even tho I think lots of good riders will leave after their contract cause of the upcoming relegation, so I doubt theyll be able to beat Tudor and for example Arkea.

Anyways. Vlasov set to stay with Bora.

View: https://twitter.com/cirogazzetta/status/1769320318479290770
sad news for cycling, was hoping he would end up in Astana

You forgot del toro😀
Yeah, but Del Toro is more of a stage-racer. Potential GT-talent, so thats why I didnt include him here.

Morgado/Christen can more replace Hirschi scoring in smaller one-day races short-term and probably long-term in bigger races as well.

But he will of course score a few UCI points as well and already has, so far proven to be a better dom also.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Last edited:
  • Wow
Nope... Bora just have all the money in the world right now. Trying to keep their star riders while basically offering big contracts to every good rider right now

View: https://twitter.com/dnlbenson/status/1770042283414470719

Also what in the hell is Aranburu going to do in a French team (I"m assuming Cofidis with their Spaniards), and is Movistar losing everyone?
I wonder if Philipsen is on their radar? From Philipsen's point of view, there are not many teams that have the money and can offer the sporting opportunities. Bora is one of few...

I wonder if Philipsen is on their radar? From Philipsen's point of view, there are not many teams that have the money and can offer the sporting opportunities. Bora is one of few...
Philipsen is mentioned in the new GCN article. It looks like he wants to stay at Alpecin. Bora and above all UAE offer him a lot of money. It looks like Bora paused the interest and UAE is throwing money at him. Alepecin probably won't offer him the same money, but perhaps he signs for them for less money then UAE offers.
Tour de France would be a problem for him with UAE and Bora.

Philipsen is mentioned in the new GCN article. It looks like he wants to stay at Alpecin. Bora and above all UAE offer him a lot of money. It looks like Bora paused the interest and UAE is throwing money at him. Alepecin probably won't offer him the same money, but perhaps he signs for them for less money then UAE offers.

I interpret the article as Bora has paused the interest in Remco, but are interested in Philipsen (but UAE is favorite).
I just don't believe it tho, why on earth would Philipsen leave Alpecin, he has the best dom ever there. So many of his important wins are because of Van der Poel. I just think it's his agent trying to get as much money as he can out of Alpecin.

I interpret the article as Bora has paused the interest in Remco, but are interested in Philipsen (but UAE is favorite).
I just don't believe it tho, why on earth would Philipsen leave Alpecin, he has the best dom ever there. So many of his important wins are because of Van der Poel. I just think it's his agent trying to get as much money as he can out of Alpecin.
You are right. I read the article to fast :).
The question will be if Alpecin has enough money and how much money Philipsen wants to loose to stay.

You never know with that clown team, but I wouldn't be surprised if the UAE name was just thrown in by his agent to generate bidding.

I just don't believe it tho, why on earth would Philipsen leave Alpecin, he has the best dom ever there.

The dynamics between Philipsen and MvdP are obviously excellent, but in the biggest one-day races Philipsen will always be just a Plan B. Maybe it's more tempting if someone builds a whole team around him and van Poppel is not a bad leadout man either.

The dynamics between Philipsen and MvdP are obviously excellent, but in the biggest one-day races Philipsen will always be just a Plan B. Maybe it's more tempting if someone builds a whole team around him and van Poppel is not a bad leadout man either.

However he wouldn't even be sure of being Plan B if he went back to UAE. It would be different at BORA, of course, cause they could need a better classic leader, but then that would put Welsford in a bad situation.

Johansen has already made his debut with Sabgal. Balmer next in line with Corratec

I know it's been confirmed now, but it was just so strange to see various places such as Wikipedia and PCS listing it as being confirmed, but when I tried to find whatever sources that was based on - stuff coming straight from the team - there was nothing. The Instagram post about it definitely wasn't there when I checked back then.
It especially seems unlikely to me that Danish media, who were following the situation rather closely, would wait that long from the transfer being confirmed, to reporting it.

Sidenote: Interesting that, based on the start numbers for Alentejo, he's gone straight to a captain role... or maybe it's just random...

Last edited:
  • Wow

Apparently 5 teams interested in Philipsen - Alpecin, Bora, EF, UAE and Tudor.

EF getting a top sprinter these days would be a wild thing.

And I don't know how Philipsen imagines himself in UAE- with so many elite climbers there it's difficult to see him getting much support in GTs, unless he doesn't care about them anymore.

• Wow

Apparently 5 teams interested in Philipsen - Alpecin, Bora, EF, UAE and Tudor.

And I don't know how Philipsen imagines himself in UAE- with so many elite climbers there it's difficult to see him getting much support in GTs, unless he doesn't care about them anymore.
Imagine the Pogacar-Philipsen lead-out.
He would return to where he started tho

Benson has corrected already, no EF.
And with all due respect, pretty logical. I don't see how he would fit there or they would have to buy a whole train too.

Honestly I think he is just staying at Alpecin. The only other choice I would somewhat understand is Bora, but then Meeus really needs to move away from that team. He's already being blocked there imo. He could go to Alpecin honestly if Philipsen decided to move.

There's just no way he's going to UAE. I think all this talk is just to get the most out of Alpecin. Typical Carrera things.

Benson has corrected already, no EF.
And with all due respect, pretty logical. I don't see how he would fit there or they would have to buy a whole train too.
Yeah. I remember having similar discussion about Modolo joining the team in the past and I argued they already had riders back then who could be converted into lead-out guys like Phinney, Vanmarcke and Van Asbroeck.
However, nowadays the situation seems to be worse. I took a look at their roster and the only guy I think could be really useful for Philipsen is Bissegger. Unless Van den Berg abandons his personal ambitions and starts training as a lead-out guy (probably a waste of potential, especially so early in his career). They would really need to bring in 4-5 guys to have a respectable sprint train for all races that Philipsen may want to ride, which is probably more than what any other WT team would need to do in the same situation at the moment.

Reactions: gunara and Samamba
Money talks. His next contract would be the biggest of his career. And a riders life on a bike is short.

But agree outside the money I don’t think it make any sense with UAE.
It’s true that riders’ time as a pro is quite short (with some exceptions). But from that knowledge a rider could conclude that they want to optimize performance and results for those few years they have at the top, rather than just considering how big a payday they can fetch on an open market.