• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Great Big Cycling Transfers, Extensions, and Rumours Thread

Page 347 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
the 2.5 M is what he'd earn in his third year with the team. he starts lower.

I took a stroll into French twitter. it's dramatic and hilarious at the same time. people are leaving the bandwagon immediately

"I'd prefer him winning Tour du Jura with Groupama than the TDF with Bahrain"

If 2.5M was fair value for a second year pro (even as talented as Martinez is), the WT budgets would be a lot higher than they are now.

Let's say that rider costs are hypothetically 80% of the budget. For a 25M budget team, 2.5M on a rider would be 12.5% of the rider cost total.

I don't know about other leagues, but in NHL for example, 12.5% of the current salary cap is superstar money (over 10M a year).

So I would say, either the 2.5M is made up, the valuation of a second year pro is way off (assuming a budget of around 25M), or the budget of a team making such an offer is substantially higher than 25M.
The thing is, Bahrain may be just making a gamble on Martinez. How much they're willing to pay him doesn't need to be representative of how much other riders are able to get. He may as well be the biggest GT talent who's younger than Pogacar/Vingegaard/Remco at the moment so I can see why someone would be willing to tempt him by overpaying him in hope that he develops into a great rider soon.

The last time Bahrain has made a big signing was in 2020, I don't think their budget has been that high compared to other teams, unless they're rising it for 2025 and beyond.

Uran was taking around 20% of all rider contract money at Cannondale in 2017. It's not unusual even for poorer teams to pay one particular rider well because every team needs star riders and sometimes it's better to spend the money on one rider that you really need than on 10 riders kinda decent riders but not quite the stars that you need.

I'm pretty sure there's some sort of law that also forces French teams to pay way more taxes on their riders contracts compared to other teams from other nations.
Could be. Whenever you see these budget estimates, French teams often have higher budgets than you would estimate from their performance levels or roster strength. That could be the reason.

If 2.5M was fair value for a second year pro (even as talented as Martinez is), the WT budgets would be a lot higher than they are now.

Let's say that rider costs are hypothetically 80% of the budget. For a 25M budget team, 2.5M on a rider would be 12.5% of the rider cost total.

I don't know about other leagues, but in NHL for example, 12.5% of the current salary cap is superstar money (over 10M a year).
Would Martinez score at least 12,5% of the Bahrain total UCI points in 2025 if he keeps on improving? I think it's likely. And I think Bahrain views him as a potential superstar anyway.

Also, superstars tend to be payed less than their value in almost any sport with a salary cap so a direct comparison with American pro sports can get tricky.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Would Martinez score at least 12,5% of the Bahrain total UCI points in 2025 if he keeps on improving? I think it's likely. And I think Bahrain views him as a potential superstar anyway.

Also, superstars tend to be payed less than their value in almost any sport with a salary cap so a direct comparison with American pro sports can get tricky.

Yeah, now that I think about it, NHL is a worse comparison than I thought yesterday.

I do wonder what would be the expectation points wise (CQ or PCS) for 2.5M, 1500+ maybe? Or less than 1500 but with the ability to podium major races/be the face of the team?

Looking at things from potential surplus value perspective, maybe 2.5M is reasonable enough (even if it is a bit of a gamble now) depending on the contract term.

So I would say, either the 2.5M is made up, the valuation of a second year pro is way off (assuming a budget of around 25M), or the budget of a team making such an offer is substantially higher than 25M.
Its top 10 rider money on what is a bottom end top 10 climber if were optimistic,

• Wow
Yeah, now that I think about it, NHL is a worse comparison than I thought yesterday.

I do wonder what would be the expectation points wise (CQ or PCS) for 2.5M, 1500+ maybe? Or less than 1500 but with the ability to podium major races/be the face of the team?

Looking at things from potential surplus value perspective, maybe 2.5M is reasonable enough (even if it is a bit of a gamble now) depending on the contract term.
Not crazy money IMO if true. But I don't know what his ceiling is. He's so small that he could gain 5 kg and still be a great climber with a solid tt. Then he'd be a real classic threat, too.

Jasper Philipsen does not rule out leaving Alpecin-Deceuninck: “All options are open”

His manager believes that a move to BORA-hansgrohe or a return to UAE Emirates are possible for the 26-year-old sprinter, while Tudor Pro Cycling has already made a contract proposal.

• Wow
Jasper Philipsen does not rule out leaving Alpecin-Deceuninck: “All options are open”

His manager believes that a move to BORA-hansgrohe or a return to UAE Emirates are possible for the 26-year-old sprinter, while Tudor Pro Cycling has already made a contract proposal.
The way he left UAE I cannot see them connecting again. However time does change people and environments.

Reactions: Sandisfan and yaco