• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Great Big Cycling Transfers, Extensions, and Rumours Thread

Page 346 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Julius Johansen on his way to Sabgal - Anicolor after the vacancy left by Tolhoek due to his suspension. There were some rumours last week that Lukasz Wisniowski might have found a team but it has not been confirmed.

Other than that, only Postlberger, Pozzovivo remain as notable riders without a contract. Regarding less accomplished riders, to name a few Balmer, Konychev, Dalla Valle, Karl Patrick Lauk, Apers or Rivi did not announce anything regarding their future.

Julius Johansen on his way to Sabgal - Anicolor after the vacancy left by Tolhoek due to his suspension. There were some rumours last week that Lukasz Wisniowski might have found a team but it has not been confirmed.

Other than that, only Postlberger, Pozzovivo remain as notable riders without a contract. Regarding less accomplished riders, to name a few Balmer, Konychev, Dalla Valle, Karl Patrick Lauk, Apers or Rivi did not announce anything regarding their future.
Konychev and Rivi deserve a contract. Don't know what happened with Balmer last year, but from the flashes he had shown I expected his contract to be renewed.
Apers had his chance, but failed to deliver results. Lauk has the misfortune of being Estonian.
Dalla Valle is a weird one, he's fast but not fast enough for Europe, he won in China before, maybe he signs with a team over there.

pozzo.jpg

I think you are being overly dramatic. Groupama and Bahrain have very comparable budgets so it's on Groupama if they can't convince Martinez to stay.

Not a chance in hell they have comparable budgets. 2.5M a year, 2.5M!!! No way FDJ can match that for someone like Martinez at this moment.

It probably doesn't help that Martinez has the same agent as Demare, that's on Madiot, but just no way it isn't mainly a money thing.

Reactions: repre and joseph89
Every possible WT Teams budget lists I have been able to find on the Internet have Bahrain and Groupama on roughly similar budgets.

Those lists are way off, everyone knows this. Ask any WT team member what they think of them. Apart from a few teams their budget is simply not public, there isn't any way to know them, neither for Gazzetta or l'Equipe (they all just guess). Plus, those lists do not take into account things like tax differences (Belgian and especially French teams have to pay way more for example). That's also why people laughing at AG2R cause they are high on those annoying lists is just cheap. They underperformed the last few years obviously, but their actual budget they could use wasn't as big as those lists made it seem.

Also there have been rumours for a while that Bahrain was on his way to finding more money cause maybe it's that.

Last edited:
Reactions: repre
If 2.5M was fair value for a second year pro (even as talented as Martinez is), the WT budgets would be a lot higher than they are now.

Let's say that rider costs are hypothetically 80% of the budget. For a 25M budget team, 2.5M on a rider would be 12.5% of the rider cost total.

I don't know about other leagues, but in NHL for example, 12.5% of the current salary cap is superstar money (over 10M a year).

So I would say, either the 2.5M is made up, the valuation of a second year pro is way off (assuming a budget of around 25M), or the budget of a team making such an offer is substantially higher than 25M.

the 2.5 M is what he'd earn in his third year with the team. he starts lower.

I took a stroll into French twitter. it's dramatic and hilarious at the same time. people are leaving the bandwagon immediately

"I'd prefer him winning Tour du Jura with Groupama than the TDF with Bahrain"