• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Great Big Cycling Transfers, Extensions, and Rumours Thread

Page 424 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Seems like a bit of a waste to me. He could score some points for them already next year. What do you think?

That was his original contract anyways so they might promote him earlier, like they did with Faure Prost -who needs to bounce back after a horrible season.

I think the best course for him is probably promotion and let him do a limited schedule based on Italian and Belgium hilly races with a couple of less demanding WT races. Anyways I trust the team, they are quite good in developing riders.

He is 22 years old and has 36 victories. Wasted his career, lol. Be serious dude. You can have valid criticisms about his programme or lack thereof, but the finger of blame isn't just to be pointed at Visma and Visma only. After all, it was Kooij himself who put his signature on the dotted line for a contract extension, doing so at a time when even Roglic was still on the team.

Who is the better sprinter Groves or Kooij? How many GT stages has Groves won? Think it is seven. How many has Kooij won? One. See, Groves has received opportunities that have not been afforded to Kooij. Of course Kooij made an unwise decision to renew his contract, however, Kooij could have ridden one GT per year from his second year in the peleton.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Who is the better sprinter Groves or Kooij? How many GT stages has Groves won? Think it is seven. How many has Kooij won? One. See, Groves has received opportunities that have not been afforded to Kooij. Of course Kooij made an unwise decision to renew his contract, however, Kooij could have ridden one GT per year from his second year in the peleton.
What do you reckon would be more beneficial for his career and progression; statpadding wins against Mickey Mouse competition consisting of Vito Braet and Pau Miquel in la Vuelta, or going against the top of the world in Renewi?

Groves has done very well, positioning himself as the king of beggars, but let’s not act like that means much in the grand scheme of things.

What do you reckon would be more beneficial for his career and progression; statpadding wins against Mickey Mouse competition consisting of Vito Braet and Pau Miquel in la Vuelta, or going against the top of the world in Renewi?

Groves has done very well, positioning himself as the king of beggars, but let’s not act like that means much in the grand scheme of things.
Winning three stages at Vuelta is much more relevant than a stage win at Eneco Tour, regardless of who you are competing with. It shows consistency.

Plus, in 20 years time no one will care about who beat who, it's the wins in great races that count.

Having said that, I have Kooij as a better sprinter than Groves, but he is somewhat wasting chances to win in big scenarios.

Reactions: claude cat and yaco
Mathieu Kockelmann, who just got officially announced to ride at Lotto devo next year, is rumored to have also signed a pro contract there for 2025-2026.

I know he was a very good junior, but just like other talents he seems to have been ruined within Bora's pyramid. As of right now I wouldn't say he deserves that pro contract as it's also possible that he was just physically more mature than others in the u19 category (he is a big guy).

Driesen was also announced by Lotto earlier for their devo team next year. Pretty surprising that he left QS after choosing them over Lotto last year.

Reactions: Sandisfan
He signs a one year contract. I think it's pretty clear where this is going: after next year Kooij leaves and they don't need a leadout anymore. Maybe Teunissen didn't want to sign for one year.
The thing is that Teunissen could've been usefull for other things too. But yeah something must've happened related to Kooij the last few weeks/months. He probably isn't completely happy (which is his own fault, could've gone to Red Bull or DSM) and about to leave.

Other possibility is of course that something else happened with the Teunissen deal and Visma had to actually find a lead out last minute but aren't 100% convinced with McLay so they only gave him a 1y.

Last edited: