• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Great Grand-Tour-Game 2011

Page 25 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Provisionals after 10:

19 Hartog (1st), 2 outs
18 Mortand (2nd), 2 outs
13 Boomcie (3rd), 2 outs
13 Sylvester (4th), 3 outs
12 Lancaster (5th), 5 outs
11 Foxxy (6th), 3 outs
11 Amateur (7th), 5 outs
10 Sasquatch (8th), 7 outs

It´s basically down to a Head to Head Race between Hartog and Mortand, the rest fights for the last podium spot...

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
boomcie said:
Excellent improvements. These would definitely make the game more fair.

This would also lower my conflict in emotions, when Alberto gives away stages where I picked him as the winner. :D

Then I can say, ok, nice move AND 0.5 points. :rolleyes:

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Mortand saved the best for last. After struggling in Giro & TdF he scored big again today w/2 important points.

Lancaster the last man standing at 0 stage wins also scored 2 points today.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Who´s betting with me 50 USD that Mortand will not win? ;)
I think Mortand is in great position after today. Now he will be nail baiting every day, that none of his riders crashes, while 6 players can relax and sit down. :eek:
Sylvester´s meltdown is almost complete;): From early favourite, day after day going down further...

Provisionals after 11:

19 Mortand (1st), 4 outs
17 Hartog (2nd), 3 outs
14 Lancaster (3rd), 6 outs
14 Boomcie (4th), 4 outs
13 Amateur (5th), 7 outs
12 Foxxy (6th), 7 outs
12 Sylvester (7th), 5 outs
10 Sasquatch (8th), 9 outs

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Provisionals before the King-Stages (after 13):

21 Mortand (1st),6 outs
16 Hartog (2nd),6 outs
15 Sylvester (3rd),7 outs
13 Lancaster (4th),8 outs
13 Boomcie (5th),7 outs
12 Foxxy (6th),10 outs
11 Amateur (7th),9 outs
9 Sasquatch (8th),11 outs

Game over... before it really started :mad:

Mortand dominates like Russia did in hockey. Only a miracle might give Hartog a small comback chance like USA did in Lake Placid. He only ;) needs to put some of his riders on the exact place, and win 5 more or so stages.

Congrats Mortand. :) Europe wins the 1st year of competition. The winner comes from Denmark. May some dirty deal with Bjarne was under way... ;)

I'm denying any rumours about a dirty deal with Bjarne. I am, though, expecting a spot on his team for the upcoming season, God knows he's in need of a(nother) rider who can guarantee a win :D

By the way, this is the way we win in Denmark: Be sure not to qualify for the finals, wait for someone to drop out, take their spot and beat the c... out of the competition. Or, get really, really lucky in the closing stages. That strategy worked wonders in the most glorious sporting moment of this tiny country.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
After 15:

19 Mortand (1st)
16 Hartog (2nd)
15 Sylvester (3rd)
14 Lancaster (4th)
12 Foxxy (5th)
12 Boomcie (6th)
12 Amateur (7th)
9 Sasquatch (8th)

Only a successful break now can change the standings at the top, and of course crashes. Good luck Mortand. ;)

Well, Cobo got his win, as I predicted. So did Lastras, Sagan, Moreno and Daniel Martin. WHY CAN'T THEY JUST WIN THE RIGHT STAGES. You heard it here first: Luis Leon Sanchez wins stage 19 or 20. I picked him for 13, of course.

May 14, 2009
Visit site
The top 3 rule makes sense. That would've gotten me half a point for Petacchi today.

Another thing to consider is replacing the WC-rule with a "uniqueness" one. Scoring double if you're the only one having that rider win the stage. (Perhaps up to two persons having the same pick in the Giro, especially with 64 contestants). That'll make outsiders a more popular pick, which is why we had the WC-rule in the first place, right? And it means Mortand will get double for picking the likes of Lastras.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Hartog said:
The top 3 rule makes sense. That would've gotten me half a point for Petacchi today.

:D

Hartog said:
That'll make outsiders a more popular pick, which is why we had the WC-rule in the first place, right? And it means Mortand will get double for picking the likes of Lastras.

Exactly. The WC-Rule was for that. But it will be removed...

Mortand scores enough obscure points, we won´t give him more chances, right? ;)

Serious, i´ll try to keep the game simple as my 1st intention was. With the "3-Stage-Max-Rule" and all those outsider picks for hilly stages, i think it´s mixed enough. With the 0.5 point rule, stages will become more important and less lucky. And hopefully more dramatic. Not like now, when Mortand basically had won after 10 stages or so. :D

May 14, 2009
Visit site
Fair enough.

Though in other news, I still got an outside chance. By my count I've got one more T20 guy, only no correct placings. Any GC shake-up can work in my favor.

On the other hand, Mortands upcoming stage picks are a lot better.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Yes. An outside chance, b/c the 3rd week of Vuelta has no more decisive stages. Another reason why the TdF and Giro were way more thrilling in this game and reality.

And you know, crashes always happen, so Mortand still has to bite more nails.;)

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Somehow the margin is going down little by little, day by day. Did i call it over too soon, Mortand? Will Hartog overtake the lead on the last Day? Another memorable comeback like Timmy Rabo´s Giro?

After 16:
19 Mortand (1st)
17 Hartog (2nd)
15 Sylvester (3rd)
14 Lancaster (4th)
13 Foxxy (5th)
13 Boomcie (6th)
11 Amateur (7th)
10 Sasquatch (8th)

May 14, 2009
Visit site
Tomorrow might have some guys swapping places, but I'm not expecting anything major. After that the GC is pretty much done, unless Froome somehow manages to come within 5 seconds of Cobo tomorrow. That would make the final stages exciting to watch.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Mortands lead shrunk by another point. Now we´ve got a race all of a sudden.

Provisionals after 17:
21 Mortand (1st)
20 Hartog (2nd)
17 Lancaster (3rd)
14 Foxxy (4th)
14 Boomcie (5th)
14 Amateur (6th)
14 Sylvester (7th)
10 Sasquatch (8th)

Summary of "The Race" between Mortand and Hartog:
Stage 4; Mortand leads by 1
5; Hartog by 1
6; Mortand by 3
8; Mortand by 1
9; Hartog by 1
10; Hartog by 1
11; Mortand by 2
13; Mortand by 5 (the time i declared the game over... too soon as we see now)
15; Mortand by 3
16; Mortand by 2
17; Mortand by 1

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
After 18:

20 Mortand (1st)
18 Hartog (2nd)
15 Amateur (3rd)
14 Lancaster (4th)
13 Boomcie (5th)
13 Sylvester (6th)
12 Foxxy (7th)
9 Sasquatch (8th)

Todays break into the Top-20 helped.... of course Mortand (he´s got Kiserlovski). Otherwise we all but Amateur lost points since Sastre dropped out. So even the right Gavazzi-Pick couldn´t prevent Sasquatch to fall under 10 points again.

TRENDING THREADS