• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

"The greatest race of the year": 2014 Tour de San Luis, January 19th-26th

Page 30 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
BigMac said:
Not surprised with the reported incidents, and sorry for generalising, but this happens because of the infamous South American patriotism and nationalism (also spotted in Portugal, but not as much).

This is just insane and patethic, and makes me crawl up the walls knowing nothing is done.

I've seen cadets races better organised than the TdSL.

Just watched the finish, that was a great sprint.

FWIW, Phil Gaimon stated that he feels so strongly against cheaters that hang onto cars because of races he lost in the US circuit due to the same thing..
It happens everywhere. I don't care who it is, they should get punished by it.

Ryo Hazuki said:
cavendish has made sport out of pullign along cars on climb sin gt's. but there are no pictures or any evidence other than 2 people claiming this yesterday. and they didn't even have the guts to call names :rolleyes:

If I were going to go after a major British cycling champion for holding onto vehicles, it wouldn't be Cav;)

Ruudz0r said:
Even the guys who finished high used team cars:

Lucas Euser‏@lucaseuser23 jan.
.@TourSanLuis Have to say it hurts to watch a rider get pushed by team car in last km as I was about to pass. Fair play?

He said that after his 5th place in stage 4.

Since San Luis coverage was basically Nairo Quintanacam, we know it wasn't him :)

Atapuma is BMC and Phinney complained, also from BMC, so it can't be him.
Only ones left were Sergio Godoy & Enzo Moyano from San Luis.

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
Poggi (the governor of San Luis) denied the update of cat. to ProTour... at least for the next year, but confirmed that the next edition will include stages outside San Luis.

Would be great to see mountain stages in Córdoba, Mendoza or San Juan.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
gospina said:
Since San Luis coverage was basically Nairo Quintanacam, we know it wasn't him :)

Atapuma is BMC and Phinney complained, also from BMC, so it can't be him.
Only ones left were Sergio Godoy & Enzo Moyano from San Luis.

it's not godoy, because he finished nowhere near euser and was already in the attack with quintana from the base of the climb. it wa smoyano or atapuma. they finished just ahead of him on stage 4. probably moyano since he's actually from san luis and very popular local of course

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Guybrush said:
Poggi (the governor of San Luis) denied the update of cat. to ProTour... at least for the next year, but confirmed that the next edition will include stages outside San Luis.

Would be great to see mountain stages in Córdoba, Mendoza or San Juan.

the race will never be wt for reasons I already told here

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
gospina said:

the thing about de haes. de haes admitted to having pushed walter perez aside with his hands. perez was mad and punched him in the face. de haes wanted to punch bakc but saw how big he was and didn't dare. although he said he didn't punch because he was afraid of causing a crash. he shouldn't whine so much. if you are a man you settle it like men and not complain about it later but not wanting to file an official complaint because you are scared of some riders. my god this isn't iran.

also always note how it's always the american(anglophone) riders and directors complaining. maybe they should rather speak with their legs instead of opening their mouths so much.

and then farrar going to the buenos aires driver and wanting to hear "I'm sorry tyler farrar" when the guy doesn't speak a lick of english and farrar doesn't speak any spanish. seriously in what world does tyler farrar live? and if one rider should talk with his legs more than with his mouth it's him.

“He broke the mirror and the windscreen, he was very aggressive towards us,” Ferrari said. “We are very sorry about it, hopefully he will accept our apologies because he was really mad and wouldn’t accept our apologies. We hope he will.
“I actually went to [Garmin] one by one, the mechanics and assistants, to apologize for it, because I feel guilty about it, I feel bad about it. Nobody wants to hurt or kill a rider. We just want to apologize.”

and then going to destroy the cars side mirror. like how f'n old are you? a sad man soon to be retired.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
“You have these guys here that are so desperate to make a result, to show themselves … one of these local guys punches Dehaes in the face in the sprint. You have one of the team cars run down Tyler Farrar, just because he couldn’t get by. … On stage 1, when the breakaway stayed away, we were all sprinting for seventh place, I was just kind of sitting back, watching these [local] guys taking massive risks in front of me to sprint for seventh place.

also Lol at this. that "local" guy who punched de haes is actually an olympic champion. and in general in those countries sprints are like kamikaze's. just look at someone like richeze when he came to europe.

“All I can do is tweet about it,” he said(Taylor Phinney).

what kind of sad figure is this? you can just put in a complaint to any jury member or race organiser. they are all at the start and finish. but phinney lives in his internet bubble and believes the only way to talk is twitter. in the end only one official complaint was issued to the organisers, yet the anglophones complained like hell on social media. blablabla is what it is.

hrotha said:
Walter Pérez gave Dehaes a black eye while on the bike? Is this the first recorded instance of an effective cyclist fighter?

zaballa a few years back in volta a portugal(??) smashing the head of one of the portuguese youngsters with a filled bottle. doesn't count i guess
we gotta look back to belli and simoni's nephew,sierra and arrieta...

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
the thing about de haes. de haes admitted to having pushed walter perez aside with his hands. perez was mad and punched him in the face. de haes wanted to punch bakc but saw how big he was and didn't dare. although he said he didn't punch because he was afraid of causing a crash. he shouldn't whine so much. if you are a man you settle it like men and not complain about it later but not wanting to file an official complaint because you are scared of some riders. my god this isn't iran.

and then farrar going to the buenos aires driver and wanting to hear "I'm sorry tyler farrar" when the guy doesn't speak a lick of english and farrar doesn't speak any spanish. seriously in what world does tyler farrar live? and if one rider should talk with his legs more than with his mouth it's him.

Dehaes shouldn't be doing any pushing, but a push doesn't give Perez the right to punch him in the face. That's just as dangerous. And what does settle it like a man suppose to mean? You think he should have gotten into a fist fight with him or something?

The driver just hit Farrar with his car, nothing wrong with Farrar wanting an apology for that. And I'm sure there are plenty of guys around that could translate the apology to English.

Edit: just reading the velonews article posted above, Dehaes says Perez was the first to start with the pushing as he was trying to come through. This situation is a matter of who you want to believe, if you believe Dehaes then Perez is at fault for starting pushing and punching even after only a tap. However neither should be doing any pushing of any kind and certainly not any punching.

Oh, sad, very sad.

All the efforts from the San Luis province to get in the world scene with a well designed, funded and attended race... Also supporting a continental team, might be doomed by individuals who lack sporting values (the problem is individuals are commissaires, team staff, riders and/or journalists... For the fans it's hard to control, especially when they are not used to the sport*).

I wonder why the TV only followed Quintana in the ITT, while the had Godoy and Moyano fighting GC positions.... Conspiracy theories anyone?

*: I'm just waiting for someone stating SL fans are the best versed in the world.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
slosada said:
Oh, sad, very sad.

All the efforts from the San Luis province to get in the world scene with a well designed, funded and attended race... Also supporting a continental team, might be doomed by individuals who lack sporting values (the problem is individuals are commissaires, team staff, riders and/or journalists... For the fans it's hard to control, especially when they are not used to the sport*).

I wonder why the TV only followed Quintana in the ITT, while the had Godoy and Moyano fighting GC positions.... Conspiracy theories anyone?

*: I'm just waiting for someone stating SL fans are the best versed in the world.

just to put into perspective. in european media and forums nobody has even written anything of any incidents in san luis other than de haes walter perez. so yeah blown out of proportion by anglophone riders and anglophone media running with it.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
just to put into perspective. in european media and forums nobody has even written anything of any incidents in san luis other than de haes walter perez. so yeah blown out of proportion by anglophone riders and anglophone media running with it.

Yes, it's all just the anglophones blowing it all out of proportion. It couldn't be possible that a few of the South Americans handled a few incidents wrong or didn't act in a sportsmanlike manner. :rolleyes:

Running over riders? No big deal, hanging onto cars? Who cares, throwing punches? Happens every day. Your nationalism is showing through Ryo.

And just to show that I'm not biased as for the English speaking riders and against the South Americans, I think both sides are at fault in some of the incidents.
-Dehaes probably gave Perez more then just a tap otherwise I doubt Perez would have come back with a punch. So Dehaes is at fault for bumping Perez as much as Perez is for coming back with a punch.
-Farrar, while I understand the anger he must have felt at getting hit by a car, he should control his temper and not be aggressive and throwing things.
-As for Moyano getting tows from vehicles, that's inexcusable IMO.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Afrank said:
Yes, it's all just the anglophones blowing it all out of proportion. It couldn't be possible that a few of the South Americans handled a few incidents wrong or didn't act in a sportsmanlike manner. :rolleyes:

Running over riders? No big deal, hanging onto cars? Who cares, throwing punches? Happens every day. Your nationalism is showing through Ryo.

And just to show that I'm not biased as for the English speaking riders and against the South Americans, I think both sides are at fault in some of the incidents.
-Dehaes probably gave Perez more then just a tap otherwise I doubt Perez would have come back with a punch. So Dehaes is at fault for bumping Perez as much as Perez is for coming back with a punch.
-Farrar, while I understand the anger he must have felt at getting hit by a car, he should control his temper and not be aggressive and throwing things.
-As for Moyano getting tows from vehicles, that's inexcusable IMO.

with blown out of proportion I mean the negative pubclicity of san luis, which is nihil outside anglophone world. I've not read any report or forum outside english ones about this matter for a fact. in fact all reports that I can find are ones that are very much admiring the race and organisers