• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Hog admits Treks sold on eBay

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
First of all, Trek admitted a few weeks ago in either NYTimes or WSJ that during the Postal days, they did see bikes popping up for sale online when they shouldn't have.

Just from what I've read lately, at least some teams are expected to return bikes at the end of the year, or pass them down to their junior development teams. I've got no practical knowledge of that, but Landis complained about the bike that broke on him during the Dauphine, a June race, and of not having a TT bike available to train on.

But Trek has been subpoenaed for documents, and I imagine other riders will back Landis up about the bikes, and there will be some sort of paper (or web) trail. Maybe a Paypal account?

I think this small admission is a big deal, especially after Bruyneel's previous total denial.

Bruyneel's "I don't know where he got that from" was the exact same thing he said about Contador when Lance accused him of lying to La Gazzetta about buying his own TT wheels. Three months later, Bruyneel corrected that one, so I expect him to have to change his story here, too, again with spin so he personally doesn't look bad.

Polish said:
Heck, I would be suprised if even honest Greg accounted for all the INCOME from the Bro-deal bikes he sold. Novitzsky should ask Greg - this investigation is NOT only about Lance lol.

Would those be the very same "Bro-deal" bikes that even Trek admits (as laid out in fine detail in their court pleadings) were BOUGHT by Lemond (as opposed to bikes included in a sponsor deal and thus not paid for), and with which he was legally free to do with as he pleased?

A

Anonymous

Black-Balled said:
Haha! Greg better watch it! I have this one and I will squeal like a pig to the feds!:rolleyes::D
bike.jpg

Cool. I always wondered what happened to TKlasna's bikes.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
theswordsman said:
First of all, Trek admitted a few weeks ago in either NYTimes or WSJ that during the Postal days, they did see bikes popping up for sale online when they shouldn't have.

Just from what I've read lately, at least some teams are expected to return bikes at the end of the year, or pass them down to their junior development teams. I've got no practical knowledge of that, but Landis complained about the bike that broke on him during the Dauphine, a June race, and of not having a TT bike available to train on.

But Trek has been subpoenaed for documents, and I imagine other riders will back Landis up about the bikes, and there will be some sort of paper (or web) trail. Maybe a Paypal account?

I think this small admission is a big deal, especially after Bruyneel's previous total denial.

Bruyneel's "I don't know where he got that from" was the exact same thing he said about Contador when Lance accused him of lying to La Gazzetta about buying his own TT wheels. Three months later, Bruyneel corrected that one, so I expect him to have to change his story here, too, again with spin so he personally doesn't look bad.

Don't forget that Pat McQuaids brother Darach was boasting to an Irish times reporter that he had a 'USPS bike' for sale:
Then he says he’s got a bike for sale that Armstrong owned, that he’s going to put it on eBay but he’s willing to part with it for a decent price despite you dancing on Armstrong’s career.....
Lance Armstrong’s bike cutting through the Dublin traffic. Cool. Nice. Darach tells you how light it is. You ask will it break in half on a manhole cover. He says it’s super strong. You ask about the saddle – might it be bad for a gentleman who wishes to settle on a large family. Trying his patience you empty your entire cycling information locker on his head. He tells you the wheel size and frame spec. You ask him what colour it is.

He sent the article by Twitter with this interesting clarification:
I had told Irish Times journo that it was a USPS team bike, not Lance owned bike, but nice article nontheless

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
MacRoadie said:
Would those be the very same "Bro-deal" bikes that even Trek admits (as laid out in fine detail in their court pleadings) were BOUGHT by Lemond (as opposed to bikes included in a sponsor deal and thus not paid for), and with which he was legally free to do with as he pleased?

Maybe the USPS bike that Darach McQuaid had for sale was a 'Bro-deal'.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
theswordsman said:

I think you are confused or did not understand the context of statements in previous things you read. I understand though as there are lots of things to read these days. Let me give you a context example: If you ask me did I give money to Greg to buy drugs and I say "no I did not do that" you cannot come along later when I say "I gave money to Greg" and say I gave money to Greg to buy drugs. The money I gave to Greg, which I formally indicated, was so he could take a taxi ride home after using illegal drugs. I was not involved in purchasing drugs in this whole transaction.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
MacRoadie said:

I think it is up to Novitzsky, the leading investigator in the Balco Scandal, to determine what is legal or not.

Did Greg BUY those bikes at bro-deal prices with the purpose of RESELLING them at a tidy profit? Does his tax/fda records match up?

C'mon - not being able to account for bikes is an major offense that will put you IN JAIL if I am not mistaken. IN JAIL OMG.

Polish said:
I think it is up to Novitzsky, the leading investigator in the Balco Scandal, to determine what is legal or not.

I'm thinking that's why Greg is a witness and not a subject of the investigation, but what do I know.

Polish said:
Did Greg BUY those bikes at bro-deal prices with the purpose of RESELLING them at a tidy profit? Does his tax/fda records match up?

C'mon - not being able to account for bikes is an major offense that will put you IN JAIL if I am not mistaken. IN JAIL OMG.

Good thing that very point was argued in the pleadings and that it was pointed out that there were no caveats to the Lemond PURCHASE agreement (sorta like the SCA deal come to thing of it).

Seems Trek has already hinted at an inability to account for all the bikes they GAVE to Postal/Discovery.

Aug 9, 2009
Visit site

ThaiPanda

BANNED
Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
goober said:
I think you are confused or did not understand the context of statements in previous things you read. I understand though as there are lots of things to read these days. Let me give you a context example: If you ask me did I give money to Greg to buy drugs and I say "no I did not do that" you cannot come along later when I say "I gave money to Greg" and say I gave money to Greg to buy drugs. The money I gave to Greg, which I formally indicated, was so he could take a taxi ride home after using illegal drugs. I was not involved in purchasing drugs in this whole transaction.

Huh? :confused:

May 26, 2010
Visit site
MacRoadie said:
It's part of a concerted effort by the Goober, across several threads, to suggest he has knowledge of recreational drug use by Lemond.

of which he is failing miserably, poor goober has obviously done too many himself of the hallucinogenic kind .......

goober said:

The more desperate you get the less sense you make (not that you made that much to begin with).

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
What part of 'goobers' excellent and accurate post don't you get?

Instead of using the taxi money to buy drugs Greg bought a Trek - which Polish will tell us is 8-10 in Federal prison.

And here I thought riding a Trek was the main offense.

Polish said:
Heck, I would be suprised if even honest Greg accounted for all the INCOME from the Bro-deal bikes he sold. Novitzsky should ask Greg - this investigation is NOT only about Lance lol.

I steadfastly deny that Lemond sold any of my bikes. And if he did then I have no knowledge of what the money was spent on. It certainly was not spent on buckets of KFC and Haagan Dazs.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
BroDeal said:
I steadfastly deny that Lemond sold any of my bikes. And if he did then I have no knowledge of what the money was spent on. It certainly was not spent on buckets of KFC and Haagan Dazs.

your confusing your Ullrichs with your Lemonds now....:D

greg has spent the money on secondhand washing machines to make some kind of new uber trainer

ThaiPanda

BANNED
Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
What part of 'goobers' excellent and accurate post don't you get?

Instead of using the taxi money to buy drugs Greg bought a Trek - which Polish will tell us is 8-10 in Federal prison.

It seems to me that he is trying to implicate the people that bought the Treks off ebay in all of this. If they had prior knowledge that the money they spent on the used bikes was used to buy PEDs then they are screwed.

Is it OK if the $ used to buy the bikes was used to buy GL recreational drugs at Spicoli's birthday party? Is riding an ebay Trek while on drugs with GL against the law?

For the record, I've never bought anything off of ebay. I don't want to get dragged into this wide net he has tossed out.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
ThaiPanda said:
It seems to me that he is trying to implicate the people that bought the Treks off ebay in all of this. If they had prior knowledge that the money they spent on the used bikes was used to buy PEDs then they are screwed.

Is it OK if the $ used to buy the bikes was used to buy GL recreational drugs at Spicoli's birthday party? Is riding an ebay Trek while on drugs with GL against the law?

For the record, I've never bought anything off of ebay. I don't want to get dragged into this wide net he has tossed out.

Its not as simpe as avoiding the internet - there are Trek dealers on most corners now.
Like you, for the record - they weren't strippers, they were 'dancers' and it was a warm night - I have never sold a USPS bike on ebay to buy drugs - I get a better price on Craiglist.

ThaiPanda

BANNED
Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
Its not as simpe as avoiding the internet - there are Trek dealers on most corners now.
Like you, for the record - they weren't strippers, they were 'dancers' and it was a warm night - I have never sold a USPS bike on ebay to buy drugs - I get a better price on Craiglist.

Should we avoid taxis now as well?

Feb 21, 2010
Visit site
theswordsman said:

So...

Bruyneel first denies it.

Then, he says they sold bikes, but only after a racing season, and sometimes only years later.

Then, he states they ONLY sold bikes on ebay AFTER the disco team was shutting down. Also, that the "Team" did it.. Cue Bruyneel stating he was just "an employee" on the Team.

And, he has no idea about the money. Just like the UCI has no idea what happened to the Armstrong bribe <er> donation to the glorious fight against the doperz.

S - u - r -e....

The fact that Trek lead counsel has stated, on the record, that they'd been aware of the bikes being sold for years, contradicts the current version being spun by Bruyneel.

Here is the pertinent part: The fact that Trek and Greg Lemond are the first that are said to have been subpoenaed should make it easy to see that the bikes sold for drugs are critical to the prosecution.

If you are the US Feds, turning the screws on Trek, being that they need to either cooperate or be prosecuted for co-conspiracy, should persuade them to provide ALL documentary details as to contracts, bikes, serial numbers, shipping dates, etc. As well, there are probably a number of Trek employees who worked VERY closely with those teams, probably a wealth of info.

Bruyneel's changing versions are telling.

Let's do some thumbnail math on a doping budget.

60 Trek bikes @ $4k/per = $240,000 USD
60 DuraAce groups @ $1200/per = $72,000 USD

$312,000 to dope 9-15 of the 24 (or so) riders for a season.

My gut tells me there are probably other items they could have obtain more than they needed from sponsors as well. High ticket items like carbon wheels would be easy to sell out the back door and might bring more than a groupo.

For those that state it is normal for teams to sell the bikes from the race season, of course that is the norm. What is out of the ordinary, and the issue here is the volume of bike ABOVE what is needed in a season being sold DURING the season. Trek was either (A) "in" on it, (B) wink, wink, sending extra bikes and "not asking" why, or (C) had no idea and was just trying to be the "good sponsor".

I am curious how much Trek's business grew from 1999 to 2005?

TRENDING THREADS