• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Jai Hindley thread

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Will Hindley win the Giro d'Italia

• Total voters
Although Hindley is gonna lose the Giro today, it has been a pleasure to watch him. Especially yesterday, where he attacked for the first time in the race. There is something very graceful about his climbing style, that you do not see with a lot of young riders these days. He just makes it look easy, as was the case with Andy Schleck when he broke through in 2007. It is hard to say how good he is in the bigger perspective, but his palmares as an u23 rider suggests that he has the talent to compete with the top guys in the Tour.

What's been impressive is recovery over 3 week race. That more than anything seems to determine GT success. The history of cycling is littered with world class climbers who couldn't sustain a high level over three weeks.

With the caveat of course that the Giro is missing the very top echelon of contenders (Carapaz, Remco, Yates and Thomas, maybe SK) this year. But for now, looking great.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Unfortunate team dynamics for Hindley. His performance on saturday showed he could attack (albeit unsuccessfully this time) so you have to wonder what might have happened on thursday if Kelderman hadn't been in contention.

Don´t think it would have made a difference. TGH had to do all the work and Hindley couldn´t even gain a second. Team dynamics in the earlier part of the race are the more interesting topic.

Eh? Hindley was under team orders not to attack THG. Kelderman was dropped by JH and TGH but rode himself into pink. JH won the stage.
And that allowed Hindley to wheel suck. Meanwhile TGH had to do all the work after Dennis was done. Hindley might not have been allowed to attack but considering that he was barely able to beat TGH on the final meters and couldn´t create a gap I don´t think he could have droped TGH.

If Hindley wins the Giro he will go down as the rider with the shortest time gap between having his own thread on the CN forum and winning a GT.
Quite an achievement considering even my grandma probably has a dedicated topic on here.

PS: I voted all the options in the poll just for the lulz.
All aboard the Großschartner hypetrain for the Vuelta, but DO NOT make a thread yet!

(I was gonna use Hugh Carthy, but turns out he already had a thread, so i had to resort to a less promising specimen).

And that allowed Hindley to wheel suck. Meanwhile TGH had to do all the work after Dennis was done. Hindley might not have been allowed to attack but considering that he was barely able to beat TGH on the final meters and couldn´t create a gap I don´t think he could have droped TGH.

He wasnt allowed to attack, because if he had and TGH had responded it would have been to WKs detriment. JHs intention at the finish was to get over the line first, which he did.

I guess we will never know.

Tao rode tempo for the first couple of kms after Dennis dropped off. Ineos played it smart, they knew Oelderman was cooked and the most important thing was not losing time to Jai. So TGH rode within himself, enough to keep the gap to Kelderman steady, and then picked it up with about 5km to go.

The course helped Ineos, because the last 2km being downhill/flat reduced the space for Jai to attack.

In hindsight, the time to attack Tao was probably as soon as Dennis sat up. One big, hard attack, and force Tao to either go into the red to cover it, or sit up and limit the losses to Jai. Up until that point, Jai had looked like the better climber of the 2.

Why so little hype about him?
If this is his real level, another young contender who'll mix it up in GTs for years to come. I don't have him in the top tier of GC riders, because I need to see more. But I can't see why he can't be considered another MAL level rider for example.
I think there are just too many young gc riders to hype all of them. Remco, Bernal, Pog, Hirschi, Kämna, Sivakov, Martinez, Vlasov and now suddenly Tao, Almeida and Hindley as well? Remember when people went crazy cause a 23 year old spaniard got 2nd in the Vuelta? Mas is still just 25, he is still in the age bracket for young riders classifications, but it feels like his big moment has already come and gone.
I just struggle to hype those young guys any longer cause it's literally impossible all of them will have the career people project them to have. There has been a lot of laughing at me because I said prior to the Tour that Pogacar gives me Mas vibes in the sense that I felt like he had peaked super early, got a podium at a weak Vuelta and wouldn't really improve from there. Obviously I was very wrong but I still feel like that was just a coinflip.

Do I now feel the exact same way about Hindley as well? Yes I do.
Might I be wrong again? Yes I might, for what we know Hindley could keep improving at this rate and be the 2nd coming of Pantani.
But the reality is, I cannot always be wrong when I have that gut feeling. There is only one tour per year. If Pogacar wins this years Tour why shouldn't one of TGH, Hindley and Almeida win it next year? But they can't all win it next year. They cannot all climb to the very top cause frankly there isn't enough space up there

I think there are just too many young gc riders to hype all of them. Remco, Bernal, Pog, Hirschi, Kämna, Sivakov, Martinez, Vlasov and now suddenly Tao, Almeida and Hindley as well? Remember when people went crazy cause a 23 year old spaniard got 2nd in the Vuelta? Mas is still just 25, he is still in the age bracket for young riders classifications, but it feels like his big moment has already come and gone.
I just struggle to hype those young guys any longer cause it's literally impossible all of them will have the career people project them to have. There has been a lot of laughing at me because I said prior to the Tour that Pogacar gives me Mas vibes in the sense that I felt like he had peaked super early, got a podium at a weak Vuelta and wouldn't really improve from there. Obviously I was very wrong but I still feel like that was just a coinflip.

Might I be wrong again? Yes I might, for what we know Hindley could keep improving at this rate and be the 2nd coming of Pantani.
But the reality is, I cannot always be wrong when I have that gut feeling. There is only one tour per year. If Pogacar wins this years Tour why shouldn't one of TGH, Hindley and Almeida win it next year? But they can't all win it next year. They cannot all climb to the very top cause frankly there isn't enough space up there
I just compare young riders to the nextgen in tennis and they cannot possibly disappoint.

Now for Hindley, I simply think that despite a 2nd place in the Giro we still know *** all for some reason, apart from his ITT being shambles. So far, I honestly don't have him as a sure thing GT winner.

I agree with you here. My post was more about why nobody was talking about him in this thread on the day he got the Maglia Rosa.

Of the people you mentioned above he has shown more in a GT than any of them except for two Tour winners (Bernal and Pogačar). And I'm talking about GC potential not stage haunting ability (Hirschi). I'm leaving Remco out of it for now for obvious reasons. But Hindley is ahead of Kamna, Martinez, Sivakov, Vlasov as far as GT Gc ability as of now. Let's see Vlasov in the Vuelta in the next 10 days.

I just compare young riders to the nextgen in tennis and they cannot possibly disappoint.

Now for Hindley, I simply think that despite a 2nd place in the Giro we still know *** all for some reason, apart from his ITT being shambles. So far, I honestly don't have him as a sure thing GT winner.
I don't have him as sure thing GT winner either but I have him as a future Landa, MAL, Uran,...a rider who can aim at a top3 of a GT and can maybe win if the stars align.

I don't have him as sure thing GT winner either but I have him as a future Landa, MAL, Uran,...a rider who can aim at a top3 of a GT and can maybe win if the stars align.
Yup. Ultimately the sad thing for him is he was probably the strongest climber in the race yet never got/took the chance to attack and see if he could drop TGH. In my opinion TGH not crushing him in the sprints despite being a probably way better finisher tells you Hindley was probably fresher.

Lastly, considering his climbing level, his ITTs were almost Purito level stuff if not worse.

He did win the Herald Sun Tour and the Fuzhou tour as an U23. It was these rides that got him his WT place

TRENDING THREADS