• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Jai Hindley thread

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Will Hindley win the Giro d'Italia

• Total voters
I think we cannot use that ITT as a comparison...

Carapaz was more or less sure about winning the Giro, so he had to take no risks.

Hindley had nothing to ask for the GC, so I think he did a ITT with no hurry.
It should not be representative, but if anything Carapaz should've put much more time into Hindley there as there was no reason for Hindley to even try hard at all.

It should not be representative, but if anything Carapaz should've put much more time into Hindley there as there was no reason for Hindley to even try hard at all.

On paper Hindley's performance (at least position wise) was where he's ended up in TTs since then, whereas Carapaz has managed better results. Still I wouldn't feel safe if I was 3 seconds in front or behind before the ITT, cause that's not much of a buffer.

On paper Hindley's performance (at least position wise) was where he's ended up in TTs since then, whereas Carapaz has managed better results. Still I wouldn't feel safe if I was 3 seconds in front or behind before the ITT, cause that's not much of a buffer.
Feels like it just comes down to whoever's better on Fedaia.

One thing that may decide the GC is the shitiness of the pink skinsuit

I don't think his TT aspirations have anything to do with it, I think he's simply on his limit & content with 2nd.

He's done nothing since 2020 & he's just joined a new team, so I know it might suck for spectators who want kamikaze assaults on GC but I reckon Hindley would have signed for 2nd overall before the Giro started & that's where he's heading.

Anything more would be a huge surprise & big upset for Carapaz.

I don't think his TT aspirations have anything to do with it, I think he's simply on his limit & content with 2nd.

He's done nothing since 2020 & he's just joined a new team, so I know it might suck for spectators who want kamikaze assaults on GC but I reckon Hindley would have signed for 2nd overall before the Giro started & that's where he's heading.

I think he would have bit your arm off for a guaranteed 2nd three weeks ago, but I very much doubt if that’s the case now.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Meme rider no more. But definitely not the one that makes you all giddy about watching.

• Wow
They both seem incapable of being able to drop each other. Everything does not go into the attacks and I guess that is what happens when it is this close. Both very careful to not go into red. Neither want the other one to counter-attack and be able to drop them.

The last ramp tomorrow is pretty steep and the last opportunity to make a difference. They will surely try each other there, but is anyone willing to take any risks in doing so? Landa is the one that really has to go for it, but he has just managed to stay with the others all week so far. It has seemed like the others are stronger than him.

It could go either way in the last time trial. It will come down to who has the most left in the tank. Carapaz was 6 seconds faster in Budapest, than Hindley. Normally he is better but who knows. Stranger things has happened.

Last time he won he had a big enough lead that he could ride the last time trial in a calculated way. Would be a complete different situation this time for him, unless he drops Hindley tomorrow or the other way around.

Hindley lost the Giro in the last time trial when he was in this position. That was a pretty pancake flat course though. This one is a bit different but it is probably a course that suits Carapaz better too.

What were the time splits in the Budapest one? Who went the best on the last climb out of them two?

I am always astounded at how many riders' limits are at precisely the point that means they are just hanging on and can't attack or raise the pace themselves, but have just enough energy to respond immediately to every move made by others.

I am always astounded at how many riders' limits are at precisely the point that means they are just hanging on and can't attack or raise the pace themselves, but have just enough energy to respond immediately to every move made by others.
Big problem for me is putting the ITT last, so any mistake in estimating performance there will not improve racing.

I would switch the final ITT and the stage 18 sprint around to start with. Obviously make TT longer as well.

Just copy/paste the 2020 or 2015 ITT, and then you can copy paste 2008 Fedaia stage for the final mountain and it looks a lot better.

Reactions: gregrowlerson
Here comes the era of Hindley!

FT2qeg4XEAAJUqs

Last edited:
Best GT GC rider of this generation behind Pogi. Change my mind...
Is this serious? Hell no, and its not even close.

I thought he was a total fluke two years ago. I kept believing that until this Giro, but I must admit I didnt expect him to win, Gongratulations, but its kinda weird that he didn't really try that much on the other stages - surely, you couldn't really know you were so much stronger than Carapaz here?

TRENDING THREADS