• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Jai Hindley thread

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Will Hindley win the Giro d'Italia

• Total voters
Yes, that’s true in at least a few cases, but if you look back through previous GT winners, very few were traveling as light in their palmares when they took their first GT. Tao, of course. Froome, but only if with the benefit of hindsight you count from his retrospectively awarded Vuelta rather than his first Tour. After that you maybe have to go back to Gotti?
Rasmussen if he wasn't thrown out of the race. 2x polka dots. Top 10 in Dauphine, Basque County and Vuelta a Espana.

Landis. (Or Pereiro based on who you want to count).

Gotti had a top 10 and multiple days in yellow at the Tour de France.

Is that really lighter than Hesjedal or Horner?

There are Giovanetti & Chiociolli as well. Proven GT riders. But somehow as if Pozzovivo had suddenly won the Giro d'Italia or Vuelta a Espana

Reactions: Cookster15
Hindley might not be the boldest rider around, but it's not like he beat opponents that really killed themselves trying Contador-style either. In such an equal field with no real offensive-minded racing from contenders, everyone except one will end up being big losers for not trying enough. Unless there'll be an ugly TT mishap, Guru Dev has done enough.

Reactions: Cookster15
Rasmussen if he wasn't thrown out of the race. 2x polka dots. Top 10 in Dauphine, Basque County and Vuelta a Espana.

Landis. (Or Pereiro based on who you want to count).

Gotti had a top 10 and multiple days in yellow at the Tour de France.

Is that really lighter than Hesjedal or Horner?

There are Giovanetti & Chiociolli as well. Proven GT riders. But somehow as if Pozzovivo had suddenly won the Giro d'Italia or Vuelta a Espana

Sure, all guys with relatively light palmares, but…

Rasmussen didn’t win. Floyd had better palmares than Hindley. So did Pereiro and Horner. Hesjedal though, yeah, you have a point. I think before Hesjedal, the previous guys were Gotti or Mauri

There will be a lot of pressure for Hindley to target the Tour next year now, but he loves Italy, and it's actually pretty rare for Giro winners to even attempt to go back to back, let alone actually do it. So I wouldn't mind him targeting the Giro again in 2023, especially if the course suits him, and if the Tour has a significant number of ITT kms.
I wouldn’t mind him targeting the Vuelta whilst still in his peak years. But first things first, let’s see him finish off this Giro:)

The Aussie developmental system was also very good and they send all their best u23 riders to race in Italy, where they were based during the season.

It will be interesting to see what happens in the next five years, seeing the developmental system has been stymied by lack of funding - The track program got far too much money in the last Olympic cycle resulting in the under 23 overseas program being mostly stopped, while during the COVID years, there were no juniors racing overseas and very limited options for the under 23's - Gerry Ryan's money can only go so far.

• Sad
Reactions: Sandisfan
After the result in the autumn Giro, this one doesn't come as that big of a surprise, but still...
Well fought out. Hopefully he'll keep improving. Needs to in order to stay at the top of GT contention.
He has been improving every season as a pro outside of last season, of course he had good excuses last season so here’s hoping he’s still on that upward trajectory.

Well losing Yates and Bardet and Almeida really brought down the value of this Giro.
But you can't fluke two GTs.
Yeah there will always be the random Hesjedal.
But this guy is for real.
It just looks to me he doesn't have that fury, that fire inside to be a big winner.
I don't have big hopes for a grand palmares, but he's a nice and down to earth guy so I'm on his train!
Giro lame
Gotta be good to have two solid GTs.
Vroom-vroom
This guys is real
This guy is so-so
That's it for this guy, but a nice dude

MAN! o_O

It will be interesting to see what happens in the next five years, seeing the developmental system has been stymied by lack of funding - The track program got far too much money in the last Olympic cycle resulting in the under 23 overseas program being mostly stopped, while during the COVID years, there were no juniors racing overseas and very limited options for the under 23's - Gerry Ryan's money can only go so far.
My guess is that during the next few years we'll mainly just see track guys like Plapp make it, since the rest of the developmental structure got pretty much demolished...

8 pages for a GT winner.

Not bad, not bad at all. Shows the online hype machine isn't an exact science, i.e. hot prospects come & go but only some reach their goals, whether they're supported by a billion fans or not.

Hindley & Bora made some really good calls, got the preparation right, polished a rough diamond into a champion & won the prize. He's only 26 as well so he has plenty of time to chase some more GT's in his career.

Fantastic stuff.

8 pages for a GT winner.

Not bad, not bad at all. Shows the online hype machine isn't an exact science, i.e. hot prospects come & go but only some reach their goals, whether they're supported by a billion fans or not.

Hindley & Bora made some really good calls, got the preparation right, polished a rough diamond into a champion & won the prize. He's only 26 as well so he has plenty of time to chase some more GT's in his career.

Fantastic stuff.
It's pretty random. Threads are more based around a small handful of posters consistently posting about the athlete rather than actual achievements. Small cults really

It's pretty random. Threads are more based around a small handful of posters consistently posting about the athlete rather than actual achievements. Small cults really

I didn't want to go there with specifics because I don't want to look like I'm trolling any particular fan group.

But you're absolutely right & the content of those threads is even better (from an entertainment perspective) with most fans convinced their guy has the best potential to win. I wonder if Landa is free to win a GT yet? 130 pages & still waiting.

I didn't want to go there with specifics because I don't want to look like I'm trolling any particular fan group.

But you're absolutely right & the content of those threads is even better (from an entertainment perspective) with most fans convinced their guy has the best potential to win. I wonder if Landa is free to win a GT yet? 130 pages & still waiting.

At this point Landismo is not sure if he wants to be free anymore.

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS