• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Lance and Cancer Show during the last stage

A staged controversy that first RS seemed allowed to ride in these "28" Livestrong jerseys, and then the unsympathetic UCI and ASO made him put his race numbers on a regular jersey again, within the race?
Many minutes, non-stop footage of Lance...

(OK, I'm back, had to puke for a moment)

I was actually waiting for this. A final accord that is going resound for months, overpowering any negative noise from the Landis affair.

Oh drama, we don't have a 21 number for Lance. Officially, he's out of the race now. Of course, for HIM, there are exceptions. And now already 10 minutes non-stop footage.

Do 28 million patients really think it's about them here?

Oh, of course there will be a great exclusive interview with LA by Mart Smeets on Dutch TV. Reporters are asking for more respect from the jury still for the Taxster. He should be allowed to be the one riders without numbers.

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Official start delayed by 16 minutes... What is usually about the Maillot Jaune and other Maillots turned into a bunch of guys changing jerseys on the side of the street.

M Sport said:
The sooner this race finishes and we are rid of that c word from racing in future TdF's the better.

Lance has done great disservice to other diseases, which are to a lesser degree preventable than cancer. So many people around me who got cancer, and I'll state by far not everyone, could have done more to prevent it.
Cancer is emerging as the prime cause of death, despite it not being contageous. This about it. It's not an epidemic. It's to a large degree social decay. Processed food, smoking, everyone going everywhere by car, athletes using unnatural substances. And then a few poor people who live the best they an, and get it anyway.
In the mean time, millions die from lesser recognized diseases. That can't get funding because it's all powering Lance's jet plane.

HUGE charme offensive on Dutch TV now, the stage being interrupted for the Lance interview. All close-ups of the guy telling funny stories, and smiling. Being the best Lance he can be. The one we want to believe in. The American boy riding between all those European hot shots with various languages and strange names.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
You don't have to whine about everything Armstrong does you know. I loved Cipollini for all the controversial suits he wore during his long career. I'm not going to be a hypocrite all of a sudden and get mad at Armstrong for doing something similar.

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
M Sport said:
*** edited by mod `***

What the hell did you edit that for? I didn't swear.

I was just clarifying which C word I actually meant. The person who replied to me was obviously confused.

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
Cloxxki said:
Lance has done great disservice to other diseases, which are to a lesser degree preventable than cancer. So many people around me who got cancer, and I'll state by far not everyone, could have done more to prevent it.
Cancer is emerging as the prime cause of death, despite it not being contageous. This about it. It's not an epidemic. It's to a large degree social decay. Processed food, smoking, everyone going everywhere by car, athletes using unnatural substances. And then a few poor people who live the best they an, and get it anyway.
In the mean time, millions die from lesser recognized diseases. That can't get funding because it's all powering Lance's jet plane.

HUGE charme offensive on Dutch TV now, the stage being interrupted for the Lance interview. All close-ups of the guy telling funny stories, and smiling. Being the best Lance he can be. The one we want to believe in. The American boy riding between all those European hot shots with various languages and strange names.
very ignorant and generally offensive post about cancer and its causes i would not share your opinions in public someone would slap you.
oh so all the many people i know in my family and outside of it who died of various cancers were at fault? heart disease and cancer are number 1 and 2 killers worldwide period and they can and will get you regardless of lifestyle your only playing with odds there is no guarantee no matter how you live and eat. get some info on the matter before you spout off nonsense and offend people.

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
Well, didn’t take long for me to get sick of this forum but this takes the cake. There is simply way too much cynicism and blind hatred. It is pathetic. I go so far as to say that reading these forums for the past months has made cycling less enjoyable for me.

Alpe d'Huez said:
Does anyone else see this as: "I may not win this thing. I may not even do very well. But doggone, this race is going to be about me anyway!"

That is exactly what it is. He cannot stand being an also-ran, which is exactly what he has been this Tour. He yearns to be the center of attention, even though he's completely irrelevant to the outcome of the GC this year. Despite making it the entire focus of his season. Hasn't even come close to a win, but hey he has a new jersey.

A

Anonymous

forty four said:
very ignorant and generally offensive post about cancer and its causes i would not share your opinions in public someone would slap you.
oh so all the many people i know in my family and outside of it who died of various cancers were at fault? heart disease and cancer are number 1 and 2 killers worldwide period and they can and will get you regardless of lifestyle your only playing with odds there is no guarantee no matter how you live and eat. get some info on the matter before you spout off nonsense and offend people.

And all this time I thought the TdF was a bike race.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Does anyone else see this as: "I may not win this thing. I may not even do very well. But doggone, this race is going to be about me anyway!"

totally agree. everyone should just ignore that.

Alpe d'Huez said:

Agree. Lance claims LeMond is bitter and jealous, but he is the one that actually behaves that way. Not even a Twitter congratulations for Alberto but shots at the New York Times.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:

Sadly, I concur. I wonder if they even approached the UCI about it. Maybe they assumed they'd just get a fine, a la Cipo. But, you'd think they'd realize that 1 guy doing it is different than an entire team, a team that is leading the team competition. Of course, it gives LA a chance to say how much he cares about people with cancer vs. the tight asses at the UCI who seemingly don't care. I'm sure they'll work some creative spin out of this. My husband checked out the 28 campaign web site and 2 out of 3 ways to donate involved buying something. He did find one link to the livestrong.org site, so it wasn't a completely cynical marketing ploy.

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:

The guy has shown himself to be an idiot today. Lance must understand he is not bigger than the sport of cycle racing but he is too stupid too understand by the looks of things.

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
Didn't the entire Saeco team do that three or four times? There was the legalize my Cannondale Jersey, an anti-doping jersey and a Roman Senator jersey?

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
I am a cancer survivor and I think RS should have just showed up in normal kit and let the winners of each jersey enjoy the time in the limelight. It is a bicycle race and that is why I tune in. Some people just can't leave gracefully - hell, I think who ever thought up this whole jersey thing should have had more respect for the winners of the different categories and realized that it might cause a little controversy. But no, RS is not very sensitive to certain things. I'm all for supporting causes but must admit there is a time and place for raising awareness and bringing up issues.

May 15, 2009
Visit site
Cloxxki said:

I don't like him or this little stunt today, but you're talking crap.

Back to Lance(as he would like it I'm sure) - what is all this about cancer "awareness"? Who the hell isn't aware of cancer? I don't need a bully on a bike to make me aware of it, unfortunately I have seen its effects rather closer to home.

If it really was about "awareness", then perhaps he'd bother talking to journalists after stages. Or if he hadn't have delayed the stage the TV coverage here wouldn't have cut out before the ceremonies, and people would have seen his team in their jerseys on the podium.

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
saganftw said:
im not so sure about that,all of his activities (positive or negative,on and off the bike) are being watched closely worldwide,hes like movie star,different rules apply when it comes to dealing with stars

He prays on less informed people and non cycling fans so its unforgivable what he does. And he has to realize he is the past and Contador, Andy, Van Den Broeke are the future in cycle racing and the Tour.

Suffice to say The Tour de France is a sporting event for the best athletes in the world not a charity fun run.

TRENDING THREADS