• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Marco Brenner is the next Remco Evenepoel thread

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Is it that terrible to race with the U23 these days?
One would think. Even Pogacar and Bernal raced 2 years of U23. For both Simmons and Brenner i would have assumed that facing guys up to 4-5 years older would prove enough of a challenge for at least one year. Imho Evenepoel was the only one it made some sense for, due to the dominance of his victories rather than the number of victories.

Also Brenner was born at the end of the year, so compared to others his age, he is almost a year younger.

Last edited:
Sunweb is on fire. Leknessund, Van Wilder, Arensman & Brenner. If they can keep those together for a long while, they are going to be a force to be reckoned with.

Is he turning pro immediately (2021)?
Donovan will be on that team as well. He struggled with pains and what not last year, but his first year at the U23s was spectacular. I'm not sure if Sunweb is the right move. Apparently they offered more money and they don't have many leaders right now, but they are stacked with talent. While Brenner doesn't have to fear any of them talent wise, Bora's pool of stage racers is very weak, relatively speaking. Denk has one hell of a program and I would've liked seeing Brenner go through their ranks after Eder Bayern.

This article gives some reasons why he chose Sunweb. He himself states Sunweb had shown that they can build up young riders well and that they have a young roster. The contact with nutrionists and coaches had convinced him.
The article furthermore ponders that young riders often get along well with the dogmatic approach at Sunweb and that he might feel more at home with other young riders. They also name the development-team and the possibility to take a step back if necessary as a reason.
Denk says the plan they laid out for Brenner involved a flatter curve of development, more like that of the other riders like Buchmann, and that Brenner decided against that. He states that Bora did not close the door for the future.

Once the junior racing comes back you can find all the non-UCI U19 results from here : https://firstcycling.com/race.php?y=2020&t=24

I started doing these last year and ended up with 397 one-day races and 36 stage races. Personally it's a great way to get to know these guys better and obviously rider profile page looks better when there's more than just couple of UCI-races!

Those 2019 races can be found from here : https://firstcycling.com/race.php?y=2019&t=24

Once the junior racing comes back you can find all the non-UCI U19 results from here : https://firstcycling.com/race.php?y=2020&t=24

I started doing these last year and ended up with 397 one-day races and 36 stage races. Personally it's a great way to get to know these guys better and obviously rider profile page looks better when there's more than just couple of UCI-races!

Those 2019 races can be found from here : https://firstcycling.com/race.php?y=2019&t=24
Are you the admin of the website? I'm glad you changed the previous layout. I stopped using the site last year because the "improvements" were a huge downgrade, and copy/pasting was locked, not to mention the reduntant rider info page. Now it looks much better and still has the same functionality as the old site. That means i can start using FC again instead of shudder PCS.

Are you the admin of the website? I'm glad you changed the previous layout. I stopped using the site last year because the "improvements" were a huge downgrade, and copy/pasting was locked, not to mention the reduntant rider info page. Now it looks much better and still has the same functionality as the old site. That means i can start using FC again instead of shudder PCS.

Yep, one of the many. (Created by the fans for the fans I think is the original motto) But my time is mostly spent with junior results so the new layout and stuff is done by other guys. Glad that you're liking it now, I wasn't fan of the first version either, but I think it's been going to a better direction for some time now.

What's wrong with PCS? Apart from their occasional merging/splitting of riders?

What's wrong with PCS? Apart from their occasional merging/splitting of riders?
For junior and U23, Firstcycling is much more comprehensive and complete. Usually faster to put up race results as well.

I also take issue with their "head to head" which is simply utter BS and wonky/janky crap. The only good thing about that, is that you are able to compare riders at when they had the same age. But the % is insane. Simply based on career points. So if you want to compare say Pogacar and Bardet leading up to the TDF, you get Pogacar 23% vs Bardet 77%. Then what's the point.

Last edited:
For junior and U23, Firstcycling is much more comprehensive and complete. Usually faster to put up race results as well.

Aah, I thought you meant in general. I suppose it makes sense that a page called procyclingstats would focus on pro races. Though, I have had a bit of fun looking at the old junior races from five-ish years back, and see who made it. Brenner, of course, can only appear in results from last year, though he's definitely made it.

Ha just saw this thread. Raced this kid last night in a points race crit in Brugg Switzerland (no races in Germany?). He went off the course once and another time seemed to mess up his gears and was spinning air as we passed him at 50k/hr so still a junior, lol. Other than that, he finished second against some decent Swiss Elites.

He has won the silver medal in the European Continental Championships ITT MJ. He was just three seconds behind Mathias Vacek. Great result but hoped for a bit more...
The results are hardly a reference, since everyone came here with completely different preparations. Vacek had to fight against Ponomar more than once, whereas Brenner lapped an entire field three times in a race somewhere in Germany. While the latter sounds fun, it doesn’t really make you better in terms of shape. You’re essentially racing against yourself. I’m sure that if Aubel Stavelot hadn’t been cancelled the result would look very different, not just for Brenner.

Reactions: Sandisfan
He has won the silver medal in the European Continental Championships ITT MJ. He was just three seconds behind Mathias Vacek. Great result but hoped for a bit more...
Sounds like there was a bit of drafting in the final few km between Vacek and the rider ahead (Joonas Kurits), so maybe it would have been even closer or even the other way round on the podium if there was a commisaire following.
View: https://twitter.com/19U23/status/1297853472243671040?s=09

Reactions: Faserr
Apr 30, 2017
Visit site
So apparently, besides the controversy about Vacek potentially drafting, Marco's coach reports to his local newspaper that Vacek's intermediate time wasn't relayed to them at all by race radio until 4k to go which left Brenner with the impression that he was leading everyone by at least 30 seconds until the mistake was rectified and there was not enough road left to make up what actually was a 12 second deficit at the intermediate checkpoint.
To put that organisational error into perspective, Vacek started 23 minutes earlier than Brenner, not right in front of him where you might understand the information being delayed a bit.

Quite an unlucky set of circumstances altogether, although obviously you should always strive to set the fastest time you possibly can in a TT. Let's see what the RR brings, which should really suit him as well.

So apparently, besides the controversy about Vacek potentially drafting, Marco's coach reports to his local newspaper that Vacek's intermediate time wasn't relayed to them at all by race radio until 4k to go which left Brenner with the impression that he was leading everyone by at least 30 seconds until the mistake was rectified and there was not enough road left to make up what actually was a 12 second deficit at the intermediate checkpoint.
To put that organisational error into perspective, Vacek started 23 minutes earlier than Brenner, not right in front of him where you might understand the information being delayed a bit.

Quite an unlucky set of circumstances altogether, although obviously you should always strive to set the fastest time you possibly can in a TT. Let's see what the RR brings, which should really suit him as well.
This entire championship week has been nothing but a joke thus far. How is something like that even possible? You want shitty coverage and reporting? Sure, but the entire race itself is a mess. Unacceptable.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS