• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The "Maximilian Schachmann deserves a thread" thread

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
I think this is what would have happened to Julian this race. Still a great performance, but when you have two hard stages and the peloton wants to race them hard, there's no chance for such types.
Exactly. Apart from some team tactics and probably Alaphilippe winning both stage 3 and 4, nothing much changes.

Think Ala might get dropped worse though

Re:

armchairclimber said:
Hoping for a big ride from Schachattack at LBL. His form seems good and LBL should suit him much more than FW. The prospect of him, Jungels ... maybe Nibali, trying to go long is pretty mouthwatering.
Jungels isn't even starting.

He needs the optimum preperation to go for that elusive 12th place in Il Giro

Re: Re:

Red Rick said:
armchairclimber said:
Hoping for a big ride from Schachattack at LBL. His form seems good and LBL should suit him much more than FW. The prospect of him, Jungels ... maybe Nibali, trying to go long is pretty mouthwatering.

Haha. I thought I'd seen him in PCS lists in the week ... but, in any case, Schachmann and Nibali would do :)

Re: Re:

armchairclimber said:
Red Rick said:
armchairclimber said:

Haha. I thought I'd seen him in PCS lists in the week ... but, in any case, Schachmann and Nibali would do :)

You have seen him there but it has long been known that he would not ride so I don't really know why they insisted on keeping him on the start list.

He is really going for it in every race :) His shape isn't really good anymore but he keeps attacking. He is not the guy for the big mountains. I think he could more likely win races like the Roonde because his attacks are powerful and he has a great time trial skill. I hope he doesn't target the big mountains and grand Tours. He should target the Worlds and rest a bit now for the second part of the season.
That is consistancy:
https://www.procyclingstats.com/rider/maximilian-schachmann

I like Schachmann, he seems to be a very smart rider and knows exactly what he's capable of and what he isn't. I hope the race isn't cut short and he really gets tested in the mountains.

Might even be the first serious German GT-GC talent in a while, if he wants to be.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Why not? Nice in one day races, looks brilliant for week-long stage races (unknown quantity for GTs) and solid overall. He really seems to me a better version of Birdsong.
I don't think that Birdsong ever had his sprinting ability.
The most impressive thing about him is his ability on short, steep climbs, in the u23 ranks he was already going really well in the high mountains, like a young Tony Martin, but his ability as a puncher surprised me.

TRENDING THREADS