• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The mother of all apology speeches

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
From another thread. I got a chuckle out of this..."truth" bracelets...:D

Jalina said:
Yeah great. Then the PR machine can rewrite history.

Lance saved cycling. Lance, with all his courage, broke omerta and told the truth. Lance, with all his courage, overcame the "cancer that is doping" and came out a stronger, better, honest man. Lance the saviour. There'd be new "truth" bracelets. He'd be "truth Jesus". There'd be a "truth" foundation, to raise awareness of... honesty. And a truth jet.

I couldn't cope. I'd have to sick knitting needles in my ears and eyes so I couldn't see or hear anythng about it. For the love of God Lance, stay silent! ;)

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Bosco10 said:
I can see Lance saying all that stuff while getting misty eyed and sentimental. He's can be pretty slick, so he might just pull it off, getting most folks to gush over him. I can just hear the fat ladies chorus, "We still love you Lance!"

This is exactly why doping will continue in cycling. Some people just don't care what's right and what's wrong anymore.

As long as you have come back from cancer and raised millions in charity, then it's OK to juice yourself up the wazoo, and force others to join you in doping orgies.

If Armstrong is seeking genuine contrition and wants to put an end to the marginalization that will inevitably destroy his foundation, he has no choice but to cooperate with the authorities.

He will have to tell all to the USADA. I know it may seem too little too late, but his testimony can guarantee that Dr. Ferrari will be put behind bars where he belongs.

Bruyneel, de Moral and Marti must also be sacrificed.

He painted himself into this corner, and has only one way out-Travis Tygart.

He has already witnessed how fast things can turn. Today must have been a terrible day for him. So to turn it around with any hopes of competing in triathlons and moving forward to the point where people will actually forgive him for all of he's done, he has no choice but to make a concerted and public effort to give back to the sport he's damaged.

He'll also have to reveal 100% his relationship with the UCI and anyone else who aided and abetted his fraud.

An apology will not be enough.

Sep 5, 2009
Visit site
His "apology" will be limited and restrained, if at all.

He will claim he acted on professional advice to deny doping and avoid arbitration to limit the damage not to himself but to Livestrong.

Hence the founder and icon of a charity who admitted to doping or contested arbitration to lose would irrevocably tarnish the Livestrong brand and affect the charity's benevolent work for millions of cancer sufferers.

His strategists did not anticipate the depth of USADA's investigation that was reflected in the reasoned decision and the resultant impact in the media, public and his sponsors.

Fortunately, his sponsors have undertaken to continue supporting the LAF after terminating personal sponsorship agreements.

Velodude said:
His strategists did not anticipate the depth of USADA's investigation that was reflected in the reasoned decision and the resultant impact in the media, public and his sponsors.

I honestly think he thought he could carry on the witch hunt routine. But main stream media really picked up on the RD and ran with it.

I'm surprised they even bothered to read the 200 page summary but when they did there was no other way to go. It just snowballed.

It was funny seeing all the stories we knew for years being published as if it was an exclusive. But I'm not complaining.

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
The timing was just bad for Lance (good for anti-doping) with no real strong things in the news aside from the Presidential debates (even the public knows that was too predictable) so media had to turn to something. This has blown into headliners everywhere. Lance must be cussing left and right now.

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
thehog said:
It was funny seeing all the stories we knew for years being published as if it was an exclusive. But I'm not complaining.

So true...I have friends who are marginally aware of cycling. Two or three months ago they were staunchly pro-LA. "He never..."; "He beat..."; "They were all..."

Now? They are genuinely shocked that it has come out just the way I said. Now they say "Awww...he will just apologize and everybody will be friends again."

NO WAY that LA gives any kind of credible apology. NO WAY.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
What would the state of the omerta be in Europe? Would we see a confession from Bjarne? Basso?

Does Johann come forward and implicate Contador?

I'm still doubtful.

thehog said:

Yeah, it's weird. I've been part of forums for TV shows and books before and it was kind of like watching or reading after being privy to detailed spoilers. Reading the whole thing was like 'yeah, okay, so THIS is how they bring this subject up', and the thrilling surprises were things like dots being connected by Levi or Hincapie, or small personal details from Vande Velde or Zabriskie, stuff we'd never been privvy to before. But we all knew the main plot.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
People are fickle. Armstrong is today's news and with any luck a new story, a new scandal will emerge and he will be bounced out of the headlines. He just needs to wait it out, there are plenty of idiots out there who will support him. He may be king of the dipsh!ts, but he'll still consider himself a king. He'll think he's still a celebrity but we'll know he's one rung below Bonaduce.

Tinman said:
"cheated the sport, cheated Americans. If he asked me for change from a dollar I'd give it to him"

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...ck-for-armstrong/article4619454/?from=4617719
The best part of that was the guy's prediction that Armstrong will become just another Average Joe. That is what I hope for, that he can walk into a restaurant, wait for a table like everybody else, and nobody even notices him. A nobody. Nobody telling him they know he's a cheat and a liar, just such a zero that they don't even know who he is.

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
He can do whatever he'd like.

My response will be the same.

F*ck him, and f*ck the others who would like to get in on this vein of absolution.

Seriously, F*CK YOU.

Until the UCI is forced out of doping control and things really start to change, I'm still giving the 'high hard one' to theses d*uche bags....

JMBeaushrimp said:
He can do whatever he'd like.

My response will be the same.

F*ck him, and f*ck the others who would like to get in on this vein of absolution.

Seriously, F*CK YOU.

Until the UCI is forced out of doping control and things really start to change, I'm still giving the 'high hard one' to theses d*uche bags....

I'll put him on par with Gary Coleman's popularity. Give it 6 months.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
I don't see an apology either. Here is my theory:
I see Lance retiring to a mountain town somewhere and slowly becoming a recluse in a cabin there. Then 30 years from now kids will walk by his cabin and attempt to get their lost toys out of his yard only to have a friend say "No man, don't go in there, that is old man armstrong's place....he's crazy...."

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Berzin said:
If Armstrong is seeking genuine contrition and wants to put an end to the marginalization that will inevitably destroy his foundation, he has no choice but to cooperate with the authorities.

He will have to tell all to the USADA. I know it may seem too little too late, but his testimony can guarantee that Dr. Ferrari will be put behind bars where he belongs.

Bruyneel, de Moral and Marti must also be sacrificed.

He painted himself into this corner, and has only one way out-Travis Tygart.

He has already witnessed how fast things can turn. Today must have been a terrible day for him. So to turn it around with any hopes of competing in triathlons and moving forward to the point where people will actually forgive him for all of he's done, he has no choice but to make a concerted and public effort to give back to the sport he's damaged.

An apology will not be enough.

I agree. The media is in a state of rage for having been duped. They will not let this go easily. A superficial apology won't cut it.

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
Lance will have to out all of the backdoor corporate deals pressuring him in building his legacy at all costs. Nike, Oakley, Trek.... they are all guilty in one way or another.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
I am loving the fact that we are getting intelligent posts without the running interference of the ignorant.

RR, Brodeal et al, keep up the good work. I too would love to be a fly on the wall in LA's war room. Like many others here I suspect what is playing out today has been planned over the last few weeks. Looking forward to the "sincere" confession

As an aside, I wonder if Johan ever sunk his head in his hands and did a Kurtz from Apocolypse Now; "the horror, the horror..."

Keep up the good work everybody, never has lurking been such fun as now!

I'm sure he wil gradually turn. Just like the gradual turning of his fanboys who are able to continue their adoration because of the small changes.

The "message" has been from "never", to "500 tests and no positives" to "everyone was doing it" etc. Subtle changes of message which brought the fanboys along each stage without them having to be completely disillusioned in one go which would break them away.

So I see this continuing. Simply because it is what is personally best for LA.

There will be an admission, a spreading of blame, and the beginning of martyrdom soon. And that gradual process will continue. He has to pre-empt upcoming events like Bruyneel's hearing, the Kimmage case, and SCA's probably upcoming case.

People are idiotically forgiving. They do not understand sociopaths.