• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The mother of all apology speeches

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
cineteq said:
Yup, which means he has zero intention of confessing in the near future.

He will only do it when it'll make sense...financially. In the meantime, he's going to cling to the cancer shield making awkward speeches.

I'm going to go with never. He will be stubborn to his grave, always the victim. The only way he comes clean is if the UCI buries him on Monday, which I don't think will happen.

Regarding the UCI decision, I have an ominous feeling. There seems to be some mutually assured destruction going on between Lance and the UCI. I think the UCI will defend him as much as they can, then all hell will break loose.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
clydesdale said:
I'm going to go with never. He will be stubborn to his grave, always the victim. The only way he comes clean is if the UCI buries him on Monday, which I don't think will happen.

Regarding the UCI decision, I have an ominous feeling. There seems to be some mutually assured destruction going on between Lance and the UCI. I think the UCI will defend him as much as they can, then all hell will break loose.

I think the UCI will throw LA to the wolves. There's simply too much heat on them right now. They've been exposed for the frauds they are and many in pro-cycling seem ready to cut them loose.

I agree though. LA will never confess. We've seen his end game. Wrap himself in the cancer fighter mantel and show the world that the wins aren't even important to him (makes him all the more of a cancer jesus doesn't it?). Of course we know that winning meant everything.

richwagmn said:
I think the UCI will throw LA to the wolves. There's simply too much heat on them right now. They've been exposed for the frauds they are and many in pro-cycling seem ready to cut them loose.

I'm not even sure what I hope for here. UCI is as bad or worse in this whole thing. The idea that their life as we know it is extended by even a little for throwing Lance to the Wolves isn't that appealing to me.

For me, all I ever wanted with regards to Lance was that people know. It doesn't concern me if Lance's life is ruined financially or that he spends time in prison. All I wanted was the myth shattered and I now feel that it has been.

May 21, 2010
Visit site
clydesdale said:

I agree completely. He'll never admit and Livestrong will thrive. Not through any altruistic motives from Lance-it's all that he has left of his legacy. He'll hold onto it tenaciously.

And I also have a bad feeling about the UCI decision.

Incidentally, this was on TMZ the other day:

http://www.tmz.com/videos/#!id=0_zdc5hxbo

Elagabalus said:
I agree completely. He'll never admit and Livestrong will thrive. Not through any altruistic motives from Lance-it's all that he has left of his legacy. He'll hold onto it tenaciously.

I don't think Livestrong will thrive. There will be George Costanza-like shrinkage. Within a few months it will be quietly laying off staff. Maybe the organization can rebuild but the charity industry is very competitive. It will be difficult.

BroDeal said:
I don't think Livestrong will thrive. There will be George Costanza-like shrinkage. Within a few months it will be quietly laying off staff. Maybe the organization can rebuild but the charity industry is very competitive. It will be difficult.

Livestrong is dead, slowly at first and then a black hole like implosion once all the corporate sponsors get their new plans lined up. That big money will go away and won't be back.

ggusta said:
Livestrong is dead, slowly at first and then a black hole like implosion once all the corporate sponsors get their new plans lined up. That big money will go away and won't be back.

I can't see Livestrong surviving. Too bad for those who have benefited from their services, but there are other cancer support organisations out there who don't exist mainly to build the brand of a vindictive bully and total fraud.

richwagmn said:

They can rule against Armstrong and claim anything he says after the fact about them being in cahoots with his fraud is just the bitter rantings of a cheater who had the opportunity to make said claims during his arbitration process but chose not to, which would be the right track for the UCI.

Remember, McQuaid and Vergruggen are arrogant men of power and have shown themselves to be completely out of touch. Their only interest is in holding on to their power. Neither give a damn about cycling.

Then again, these two guys are so beyond it who knows what will happen on Monday.

richwagmn said:
I agree though. LA will never confess. We've seen his end game. Wrap himself in the cancer fighter mantel and show the world that the wins aren't even important to him (makes him all the more of a cancer jesus doesn't it?). Of course we know that winning meant everything.

It has become rather obvious from his unprecedented freefall last week (that not even his most ardent haters could have predicted) that the world isn't going to end if Armstrong gets chopped at the knees for his transgressions and lying.

Just like the world will go on once his cancer foundation takes the same route. Nobody owes this idiot a living, and Livestrong's extremely limited role in anything pertaining to cancer will be picked up by another charity that will hopefully exhibit more much integrity than Livestrong has, which is what we need.

What does a a yellow plastic wristband represent with no Tour wins? Nothing, that's what. Livestrong's persona revolves around its' founder, and it's founder's identity is wrapped around Tour wins he cheated to win. He's gone, they will be too.

That money needs to go to actual research and development of new treatments, not jet fuel for Armstrong's private jet, his personal speaking engagements and bloated salaries for his top managers.

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
frenchfry said:
I can't see Livestrong surviving. Too bad for those who have benefited from their services, but there are other cancer support organisations out there who don't exist mainly to build the brand of a vindictive bully and total fraud.

Anyone remember Tyler Hamilton's charity?
I'd forgot all about it.
I did a search and found nothing.

TRENDING THREADS