• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The "MVP" Mathieu Van der Poel Road Discussion Thread

Page 119 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
With VdP thats definitely possible. He makes a lot of bad excuses often. Wind direction is not that hard to verify.

Headwind Poggio with a lot of stop/start and no consistent pacing in 6 minutes flat sure Mathieu

On a climb with so many hairpin turns, there will have been some headwind stretches, though. But yeah, probably not the last stretch before the telephone box.

All I think of when watching this guy is how many years he has left in a bike race. Sadly.

Weird. So it seems the noob thinks he's shorteing his carrer, while MVDP thinks his carrer is soon over anyway so he has to win it all before it ends.

And then that last interview...

"I don't think my friends, my family, my girlfriend weren't really, I think they weren't that pleased that I was at home because I wasn't the most enjoyable person at the at this period".

What does this guy expect of himself? :O Who's enjoyable when injured? Maybe you gotta be cyclists in many generations to have that much pressure on your shoulders, but it makes me sad as it sounds so depressing :(

Last edited:
On a climb with so many hairpin turns, there will have been some headwind stretches, though. But yeah, probably not the last stretch before the telephone box.
Agreed from the limited footage I saw.
Didn't Tadej suggest his first effort came too early, too close to a hairpin and into headwind? I think he identified it as the wasted effort. Either way; WvA and VDP both were able to ride back to Pogi easily on several ramps that would suggest they had a draft.
Don't know for sure but looked like that.

I honestly also think he looked clearly weaker than last year in Sanremo. I dont think a 100% MVDP cant snap close SKA after riding a more efficient Poggio than Van Aert and Pog
the funny

barely back from injury and now he wants to do giro tour double.

And he wants to finish both races. Idk chief. Doesn't seem wise after a lingering back injury

And he wants to finish both races. Idk chief. Doesn't seem wise after a lingering back injury

Its quite unwise wanting to finish the Giro in my point of view especially given that the World Championships route will likely suit him well and finishing the Giro and Tour could mean end of the season for him even if with the light schedule that he will have before.

Riding LBL should be his priority at least if he doesn't win Ronde or Roubaix

Ugh. I think that's a terrible idea. And that's to say nothing of whatever mtb plans he has. As much as I love watching him race in all disciplines he's going to have to start making better decisions if he wants to have a sustained cycling career.

Reactions: noob and Sandisfan
I wouldn't go for this combination, especially after being out for months with back problems.

But, as compensation he will not be mountain biking for the next few months. In that respect, the entourage has finally realized that combining and practicing together (cyclocross), road, mountainbike, road again, mountainbike again, during the same season, is very taxing. And I hope that the so-called connoisseurs who thought that it should be possible, despite the long-term back problems, will now apologize. After denigrating the real connoisseurs who criticized the impossible combination. An impossible combination, not in terms of talent or physical ability, but in terms of physical load, injurys etc.

It's not like he'll be racing for the podiums in those GT's though, so he can do the mountain stages at a relatively "easy" pace.
He'd probably be doing similar work in training if he wasn't doing a GT, so I'm not sure it's such a bad idea.

It's not like he'll be racing for the podiums in those GT's though, so he can do the mountain stages at a relatively "easy" pace.
He'd probably be doing similar work in training if he wasn't doing a GT, so I'm not sure it's such a bad idea.
Of course. But why 2 grand tours ? And so in quick succession. Then make the combination Tour and Vuelta. Or Giro and Vuelta.

Reactions: Sandisfan