• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The "MVP" Mathieu Van der Poel Road Discussion Thread

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
MVP is riding Alsace this week, got 3rd in the Team Prologue yesterday and today they are finishing on Planche des belles Filles. He looked tired in his last races but I hope he can really test himself on a serious climb like this.

Markus Hoelgaard won the stage, being in the break of the day (strong break, with Vanhoucke, Lucas Hamilton, Scotson and Eenkhoorn, apart from Hoelgaard. The live ticked stopped updating at the beginning of the climb, so the info available at the moment is very low, it isn't known who followed the rider from Norway.

Re:

Ricco' said:
Markus Hoelgaard won the stage, being in the break of the day (strong break, with Vanhoucke, Lucas Hamilton, Scotson and Eenkhoorn, apart from Hoelgaard. The live ticked stopped updating at the beginning of the climb, so the info available at the moment is very low, it isn't known who followed the rider from Norway.

Glad someone follows Tour d'Alsace. They cross twice my town on Sunday!
Can you please share the liveticker buddy ? Saturday gonna be a massive stage.

Re: Re:

Krokro said:
Ricco' said:

Glad someone follows Tour d'Alsace. They cross twice my town on Sunday!
Can you please share the liveticker buddy ? Saturday gonna be a massive stage.

https://live.touralsace.fr/27-juillet-etape-1-velleminfroy-planche-des-belles-filles

You can change to a different stage at the top

Back to winning! Dwars door het Hageland, after an epic battle with Wout van Aert.

3d11b57222.jpg

Amazing! I celebrated like crazy, I think it's his best victory to date on a road race.

After a couple of disappointments in Vallnord and Lenzerheide and a sub-par Tour of Alsace, I for sure I'm very happy with this great victory and he should also be. It's a shame he isn't in Canada for the XCO this weekend, but this payed off. Now for a good Tour du Limousin and then another shot at victory in Schaal Sels.

He probably raced the Tour of Alsace to get rhythm back after a break.

Great win by Mathieu but I'm not sure he was 100% yet. For the first time I saw him really race smart. After both Dimitri Claeys attacks, you could see him looking back waiting for Wout to counter the move. WOut did it twice. Wout looked too self-confident to me. It's surprising. He knows that against Mathieu you'd rather have to save energy but here, attack with 40km to go with only Joeri Stallaert in the wheel behind a large lead-group with names such as Piet Allegaert or Florian Sénéchal. Even Mathieu did not go along and waited for the rider moment to catch him back (even Gianni Meersman in the commentary box saw it coming). And then on the Citadelle of Diest, Wout attacked from below all the way. I guess he was super motivated because it's Niels Albert's former training roads and he's the race designer but still WOut could have played smarter, I think. Not sure he could've won though.

First stage of the Tour du Limousin today, finished on a steep hill. Breakaway of the day held off the peloton but MVP won the group sprint behind ahead of guys like Vuillermoz, Gavazzi, Coquard. Not bad. Tomorrow a longer climb to the finish, interesting to see if he can get a result.

345ec0571c.jpg

After this he will ride Schaal Sels and then its off to CX again.

Tomorrow's climb didn't make much differences in 2014. If a guy like Julien Simon can arrive with the s.t. as the winner, so can MVP is he is in a good day, I think.

At least he managed to gain a bit a time of guys like Calmejane and Ciccone. That and Guillaume Martin, Torres and Gaudu losing significant amounts of time should open his GC chances a lot.

Great that he's racing the Schaal Sels this year. This has now become some kind of Tro Bro Leon, on dirt roads, passing just in front of Frans Van Looy's farm. Wout Van Aert was dominant last year. Even two years ago he was the main animator. So now we might have yet another chapter in this wonderful rivalry. I'm still wondering whatever happened to the Black Angus calf that Wout was supposed to win after his last year victory. :)

Echoes said:
Great that he's racing the Schaal Sels this year. This has now become some kind of Tro Bro Leon, on dirt roads, passing just in front of Frans Van Looy's farm. Wout Van Aert was dominant last year. Even two years ago he was the main animator. So now we might have yet another chapter in this wonderful rivalry. I'm still wondering whatever happened to the Black Angus calf that Wout was supposed to win after his last year victory. :)

Schaal Sels is a wonderful race,

Re:

Ricco' said:
Mathieu won't be racing Schaal Sels. Tour du Limousin will be his last road race of the season. There's the possibility of doing the XCO World Cup in Val di Sole, but he isn't sure yet.

Shame though but it's his choice and probably the right one, cyclocross season is coming close. I guess he still has a high place at the World Cup so he should go to Val di Sole.

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Mathieu said in an interview with Dutch newspaper Algemeen Dagblad he is going to do all MTB World Cups after his CX season and he wants to compete at the 2020 Olympics as MTB-rider.

After 2020 he will switch to road. He said he will only be 25 by then and still has 10 years to build a career on the road.

TRENDING THREADS