• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The "MVP" Mathieu Van der Poel Road Discussion Thread

Page 69 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Impressive return to the road. He looked powerful and waited for the right moment. It would be awesome if he could win a stage in the Tour. I don't know what his chances are in the Olympics, but he'll face some strong Austrian and French mountainbikers there.
Curious who the Austrian is because as an Austrian I can't think of a potential medalist.

The kick to win today against a decent Alaphillipe and Matthews plus Laporte who did as well as he possibly could was reminiscent of Sagan in his 2011/2012 pomp when he he was leaner and better on the punchy sections but even that Sagan would rarely beat this MVDP level
Not only the kick but also he was in prime front position towards the end, around the turn...the peloton was centered around him just like Sagan. He found the right wheel to surf with no teammates, then broke the opposite direction a smidge bit sooner than Alaphilippe. It was eerie.

Last edited:
Someone came up with it in the TDS thread before, but after Strade and yesterdays win (and there are many more we can think of) I think we should nickname him Matthieu THUNDERPOEL. Or just Thunderpoel. It’s very fitting for when he is on point, like he is now :cool:
Now that I think of it. We should further develop these action hero figure names like Ramco, Thunderpoel, Tourminator, Lo Squalo, etc.

Great to see MvDP back at his best form.

He seemed unstoppable 3 months ago , as we saw in Strade, but after that apocalyptic Castelfidardo solo win in Tirreno, he wasn't quite the same during the remainder of the spring season. Clearly lacked a few percent in San-Remo, E3 and Ronde.

His stage wins in Swiss remind me of his 3 Tour of Britain 2019 victories where he made Trentin question his career choices.

View: https://youtu.be/eolcZgLg-kU?t=70

Pretty hilarious from 1:11

He seemed unstoppable 3 months ago , as we saw in Strade, but after that apocalyptic Castelfidardo solo win in Tirreno, he wasn't quite the same during the remainder of the spring season. Clearly lacked a few percent in San-Remo, E3 and Ronde.
I wonder how much MdvP could have won in a max season where he downplayed cyclocross and MTB, and managed to peak his form both spring and autumnn. Gilbert had 7 big wins in one-day classics in 2011 (and 18 wins in total). I'm pretty sure VdP could have surpassed that.

Reactions: Sandisfan

His stage wins in Swiss remind me of his 3 Tour of Britain 2019 victories where he made Trentin question his career choices.

View: https://youtu.be/eolcZgLg-kU?t=70

Pretty hilarious from 1:11
yeah he did kill a bit of his spring form with that tirreno stage. I think it would be interesting to see a full spring season from him without doing crazy stuff and just see how much he can win then.

Reactions: OlavEH
I think it would be interesting to see a full spring season from him without doing crazy stuff and just see how much he can win then.

Agreed. Precisely what I wrote above. I dont't think it's possible with a 8 week long form peak from Omloop to LBL, but what about a peak from MSR to PR, but also competing at least from Strade to AGR, and not having any accidents, punctures, etc., during these races. Of course he woudn't make a clean sweep, but have many races could he actually win?

Agreed. Precisely what I wrote above. I dont't think it's possible with a 8 week long form peak from Omloop to LBL, but what about a peak from MSR to PR, but also competing at least from Strade to AGR, and not having any accidents, punctures, etc., during these races. Of course he woudn't make a clean sweep, but have many races could he actually win?

Arguably, he doesn't need be 100% in Strade and AGR to compete for the win.

There's no question for me he would've been there (at minimum) with WvA and Pidcock in the recent AGR and BP finales if not for his switch to MTB.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
As for MVDP and Pidcock on the MTB, think it's fair to say that they were on opposite ends of the form spectrum in the last two WC races. Straight up, my money is on MVDP on everything other than the courses with sustained climbs. Could MVDP will win Olympic Gold on the MTB to go along with World Champion in CX and Road in same calendar year? If he can, no one will ever do it again. Unless of course Piddy gets a year where it all comes together for him - might just need the road course to suit him in '24 or '28...

As for MVDP and Pidcock on the MTB, think it's fair to say that they were on opposite ends of the form spectrum in the last two WC races. Straight up, my money is on MVDP on everything other than the courses with sustained climbs. Could MVDP will win Olympic Gold on the MTB to go along with World Champion in CX and Road in same calendar year? If he can, no one will ever do it again. Unless of course Piddy gets a year where it all comes together for him - might just need the road course to suit him in '24 or '28...

I wouldn't put it all down to form.

Pidcock looks so damned natural on his MTB. The man and the machine blend into a single creature, flowing and rolling over any terrain and any slope. He would've won the Aldstadt race too if he had started on the first row.

We can essentially forget about the likes of Schurter and Avancini now. There's no question to me that Pidcock is the best MTBer in the world.

Yes VdP looked a bit rusty last month and might make some progress still, but I suspect we'll end up to a mirror situation of Cyclocross.

In CX, MvdP can be expected to dominate Pidcock, unless a parcours offers plenty of sustained climbing (Koppenbergcross, Namur, etc)

In MTB, Pidcock can be expected to dominate, unless perhaps a parcours offers plenty of flat mixed with short climbs only.

Fortunately, the Olympic parcours is supposed to resembles the latter type, so we're in for a treat.

If only Pauline Ferrand-Prévot had won her triple in 2016 instead of 2014-2015.

Reactions: jmdirt
I wouldn't put it all down to form.

Pidcock looks so damned natural on his MTB. The man and the machine blend into a single creature, flowing and rolling over any terrain and any slope. He would've won the Aldstadt race too if he had started on the first row.

We can essentially forget about the likes of Schurter and Avancini now. There's no question to me that Pidcock is the best MTBer in the world.

Yes VdP looked a bit rusty last month and might make some progress still, but I suspect we'll end up to a mirror situation of Cyclocross.

In CX, MvdP can be expected to dominate Pidcock, unless a parcours offers plenty of sustained climbing (Koppenbergcross, Namur, etc)

In MTB, Pidcock can be expected to dominate, unless perhaps a parcours offers plenty of flat mixed with short climbs only.

Fortunately, the Olympic parcours is supposed to resembles the latter type, so we're in for a treat.
Yep, Tokyo course looks like a fair fight between two guys of drastically different stature. As good as Piddy is, MVDP's form seems to be trending nicely. If he goes into the TDF and Olympics in SB/TA level form, good luck. Don't think Piddy or anyone else in the world will have any chance of dealing with him in anything other than a mountain stage or TT.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts