• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The "MVP" Mathieu Van der Poel Road Discussion Thread

Page 85 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
That's what they wanted the outside world to believe. But the reason was that they had realized their mistake.

Why are you saying that?

Is not that uncommon to make changes to the track and the biggest technical parts when the weather is bad.

In the last world cup they closed the biggest drop due to the awful weather conditions and only left the B-line open.

This time, in order to leave both lines open at that place, they added the plank. Before that obstacle, on the biggest rock garden, they closed the A-line for the women's race, because it was impossible the make the necessary adjustments in order to make it safe.

ecen
Do you race mountain bikes? What was done was not abnormal and makes perfect sense when you're adapting to a course. The issue rests entirely on the shoulders of Van der Poel who was, it should be stressed, the only racer who seemed unaware of this and made that mistake.
Please give a decent answer, and use arguments. I don't read them. Adapt a course after a reconn can only take place to make a dangerous passage safe or safer (after rain, a small landslide or rock slide, to many incidents etc.). Not to make it more dangerous of tricky (why ?....)

I disagree, rolling is not leaving the trail, sending is leaving the trail and can be used because occasionally jump is inappropriate, such as on a drop. But it is a bit semantic. In this case, Nuno's line seemed fastest which was to get more distance than others and land on the grass after the rock landing which wasn't as flat a landing.

This is getting a lot off topic, but I think you're really thinking of table-tops etc. in DH where squashing the jump and getting back on the track is always going to be quicker. Its not the same in XC where there's usually a couple of landing options and definitely not the same with drops, where there can be several choices of landing point that might change how something is handled depending on race, speed, conditions etc.

Also, in this case I'm not sure it really matters much. The difference between a longer landing, the shorter landing and rolling it looked to be very small, there was enough run off that lost momentum was going to be small and there wasn't enough room that you'd get overtaken by people for picking the wrong option (unless you tried to roll something that wasn't there...). I've heard the b-line was 7 seconds slower which would have made a big difference, but I'm not sure anyone used it.
Good points. Jolanda invented her own line with that save on the drop!

Reactions: jmdirt
Why are you saying that?

Is not that uncommon to make changes to the track and the biggest technical parts when the weather is bad.

In the last world cup they closed the biggest drop due to the awful weather conditions and only left the B-line open.

This time, in order to leave both lines open at that place, they added the plank. Before that obstacle, on the biggest rock garden, they closed the A-line for the women's race, because it was impossible the make the necessary adjustments in order to make it safe.
The first part of your answer is correct. The second is not. They didn't change the track (and made it safer) due to the bad wetter during or after the reconn, to many incidents during the reconn etc. No, they made it more difficult or tricky by removing the ramp after reconn.

The first part of your answer is correct. The second is not. They didn't change the track (and made it safer) due to the bad wetter during or after the reconn, to many incidents during the reconn etc. No, they made it more difficult or tricky by removing the ramp after reconn.

The ramp wasn't meant to be there in the race. It was even removed during the last practice, so who was on course during that time could have practiced without the ramp.

Reactions: jmdirt
"Plankgate" finally solved

unknown.png

Change of plans:

It looks like he will participate in the world championship MTB instead of Bretagne Classic. And then switch over to road for the worlds RR + Roubaix.
Guess he wants to set something straight in the world MTB.

Unlikely he pulls it off, but if he wins both MTB WC and Road RR he could be the first ever male rider to have the CX, MTB and RR world jersey in the same year. Copying PvP who already did that in the women a few years ago
PFP

Rolling something steep necessitates that you slow down, and yes, the physics are very different on skis at speed versus a bike in that situation.
Rolling something steep necessitates that you slow down, and yes, the physics are very different on skis at speed versus a bike in that situation.
It was faster to jump that section than to roll it.

EDIT: Many/most riders were not using the ramp even when it was there.

EDIT 2: RE: the jump vs. roll discussion: I have written about several trail sections in the dirt thread that I ride at +/- 30 mph because I'm jumping every water diversion hump. If I were to roll each one I would go down those same sections at about 10 mph. Granted, they are short sections so the time gain/loss isn't in minutes, but if they were part of a six lap race, they could be worth a minute. Obviously this one drop situation is different, but it might be worth several seconds every lap. We could also discuss 'scuffing' speed, but...

Last edited:
Reactions: Axel Hangleck
Anyone read any updates on MVDP? I assume he came out of the Olympic debacle with just soreness and continues to get ready for the MTB WC's - among other things. Good for him that he is able to go quiet in the media when he wants though. Reminds me of the end of the season last year when he had that ugly crash into the ditch in the crosswinds. Didn't hear hide nor hair of him until he came back to CX and started right back up locking dudes in the pain closet.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
The Dutch national MTB coach stated right after the Olympic fiasco that MvdP wants to race the MTB World Championships in Val di Sole at the end of August to set things straight.

The route doesn't really suit him (too much climbing), but with Pidcock in the Vuelta, who knows what's possible - i think he can beat all the others on a good day regardless of the terrain.

From September onward, it's back to the roads. So no Lenzerheide, but Tour of Britain probably, and then straight to the World's and Roubaix. And then probably a well deserved two month break before jumping back into the Field of Flanders.

So still 3 big goals to come. If he doesn't win any of them, I think this season will leave a sour taste in his mouth. But with a bit of luck he'll be a triple World Champion...

Reactions: Sandisfan
The Dutch national MTB coach stated right after the Olympic fiasco that MvdP wants to race the MTB World Championships in Val di Sole at the end of August to set things straight.

The route doesn't really suit him (too much climbing), but with Pidcock in the Vuelta, who knows what's possible - i think he can beat all the others on a good day regardless of the terrain.

From September onward, it's back to the roads. So no Lenzerheide, but Tour of Britain probably, and then straight to the World's and Roubaix. And then probably a well deserved two month break before jumping back into the Field of Flanders.

So still 3 big goals to come. If he doesn't win any of them, I think this season will leave a sour taste in his mouth. But with a bit of luck he'll be a triple World Champion...
Yep, owning all three WC jerseys would be something. I wouldn't be surprised if he pulls it off - he typically bounces back strong. If he was on top form (we'll never know) I think he would have won at Tokyo. He won at Val di Sole the last time he raced it in 2019, and he'll probably be the betting favorite to win at the road World's (and Roubaix for that matter). He's just lucky that huge mental error at Tokyo didn't cost him a lot more than just a medal.

Anyone read any updates on MVDP? I assume he came out of the Olympic debacle with just soreness and continues to get ready for the MTB WC's - among other things. Good for him that he is able to go quiet in the media when he wants though. Reminds me of the end of the season last year when he had that ugly crash into the ditch in the crosswinds. Didn't hear hide nor hair of him until he came back to CX and started right back up locking dudes in the pain closet.

From what we can see on social media, he is in Livigno with his girlfriend. Presumably doing some altitude training and not only on holidays.

Maybe he learned his lesson and this time he won't show up in Italy 3 days before the race but 3 weeks before. :p

Bold: confirmed
Italic: possible

15 August - MTB European Championships XCO
25 August - MTB World Championships XCC
28 August - MTB World Championships XCO

30 August-5 September - Benelux Tour
12 September - European Championships Road
18 September - Primus Classic
19 September - Grand Prix de Denain

26 September - World Championships Road
3 October - Paris-Roubaix

This would be an awesome schedule. Hope the quick turnaround from MTB WC's to Benelux Tour doesn't mean he won't be doing the MTB WC's. Given the short effort though, and the fact he'd be able to sleep at home for the Benelux makes it seem very reasonable vs. waiting around for the Tour Britain. So much great racing left regardless.

Is there any rumor about the MTB Euros? So far he isn't on the long list of entrants that came out a few days ago.

TRENDING THREADS