• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The "MVP" Mathieu Van der Poel Road Discussion Thread

Page 87 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Ouch. That stings. Guess I won't be re-upping my Flobikes scrip to watch the MTB WC's now. So he's now back to his original program. I guess we'll find out how much/what kind of training he's been able to do by his fitness at Benelux. Doubt we'll see any crazy sh__ like he pulled off last year (making Senechal look like Gran Fondo pack filler material on that one climb), but at this point it's all about building for the Road WC's and Roubaix. As big a deal as a MTB WC would have been, it would have rang a touch hollow given Piddy wasn't there. That said, now way MVDP should give up the MTB - he was clearly the best in the world the last time he raced on real form back in 2019 - and the sport is tailor made for a guy with his handle, power, explosiveness, and a seemingly a tendancy to get bored very easily unless he's on the ragged edge of his limits.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Otoh he has to race something before the WCh, if he wants to reach that with some mileage on his legs.

On their press release the team said that the situation is improving, so perhaps he is feeling better but is nowhere near the level required to compete in XCO (and perhaps the mountain bike is worse for his back than the road).

Reactions: jmdirt and KZD
Van der Poel already had problems with his back during the Tour de France. Problems that weren't solved before the Olympics started. You could see that during those first minutes of the race in Japan. His heavy fall didn't do it any good.

In addition, the constant change in cycling position (cyclocross, road, mtb) is detrimental to the back, muscles and joints.
Cyclocross and road cycling, in two different seasons, that's still possible. But also mountain biking in between...... ?

If he continues to combine the three disciplines, the overload will increase and he will constantly be confronted with problems.

Van der Poel already had problems with his back during the Tour de France. Problems that weren't solved before the Olympics started. You could see that during those first minutes of the race in Japan. His heavy fall didn't do it any good.

In addition, the constant change in cycling position (cyclocross, road, mtb) is detrimental to the back, muscles and joints.
Cyclocross and road cycling, in two different seasons, that's still possible. But also mountain biking in between...... ?

If he continues to combine the three disciplines, the overload will increase and he will constantly be confronted with problems.

I would say opposite, different positions on the bike (road, cyclocross, mtb) could be even beneficial. Ofcourse there is change in what and how much some back muscles work but many road riders have problems because they are constantly in the same position and body adapts to that which lead to negative effects. So mixing it up shouldn't be a problem imho.
Did he had some crash before TDF if he had problems with the back even before OG MTB fall?

I would say opposite, different positions on the bike (road, cyclocross, mtb) could be even beneficial. Ofcourse there is change in what and how much some back muscles work but many road riders have problems because they are constantly in the same position and body adapts to that which lead to negative effects. So mixing it up shouldn't be a problem imho.
Did he had some crash before TDF if he had problems with the back even before OG MTB fall?
The combination cyclocross and road is perfect, even beneficial. Many riders proved that the last years. But not the combination with MTB. Position, heavy shocks..... I'm convinced VdP will compete for the last time this year in three different competitions. From next year (next winter) on, Vdp will race in a few cyclocross races, to ride an almost full season on the road. Otherwise he could miss out on a fantastic career.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
The combination cyclocross and road is perfect, even beneficial. Many riders proved that the last years. But not the combination with MTB. Position, heavy shocks.....
Many riders proved last year that the combination road and cyclocross doesn't do any harm to your back? How exactly did they prove that? Give me an insight in how your brain works, please.

I could just as easily claim that Pidcock proved that the combination of all 3 disciplines is extremely beneficial for your back because he never had any back problems in his life. Or that Sagan proved with his MTB adventures that MTB is great for your back.

Reactions: jmdirt
Many riders proved last year that the combination road and cyclocross doesn't do any harm to your back? How exactly did they prove that? Give me an insight in how your brain works, please.

I could just as easily claim that Pidcock proved that the combination of all 3 disciplines is extremely beneficial for your back because he never had any back problems in his life. Or that Sagan proved with his MTB adventures that MTB is great for your back.
Eh ? When did Sagan combine road, mountainbike and cyclocross in his better years ? In competition. Never. Not even two disciplines. Just Cyclocross as a junior. And a bit mountainbike, just for fun. And Pidcock ? A fantastic talent. But wouldn't he ride for the podium in the vuelta, as many so called experts predicted ? After his mountainbike preparation for the olympics (and fantastic gold), and the decompression, he was done. Another proof. Now I'm waiting for your different examples
from successful combiners.

Eh ? When did Sagan combine road, mountainbike and cyclocross in his better years ? In competition. Never. Not even two disciplines. Just Cyclocross as a junior. And a bit mountainbike, just for fun. And Pidcock ? A fantastic talent. But wouldn't he ride for the podium in the vuelta, as many so called experts predicted ? After his mountainbike preparation for the olympics (and fantastic gold), and the decompression, he was done. Another proof. Now I'm waiting for your different examples
from successful combiners.
The conversation wasn't about successful combiners to begin with, but about back problems for combines, so Pidcock's performance in the Vuelta is irrelevant. What is relevant is if he has back problems due to combining the 3 disciplines. And he hasn't as you claim should happen. Neither had Sagan when switching between different positions on different bikes, as you claim is detrimental for one's back.

I'm more inclined to follow Eeslliw's view here. Switching bike position doesn't only strengthen muscles in the back you don't use in other positions on other bikes, but you will also relieve and rest other parts for a moment.

No one is a bigger MVDP fanboy than me, but this sh__ is getting overanalyzed to death at this point. The guy has some back pain - along with a billion or so other folks stumbling around planet. The great thing about MVDP is he pretty much does whatever the hell he wants. I'm sure he'll figure this out and get back to ass kicking asap. He has a history of bouncing back from disappointment - see stage 2 TDF for latest example.

Reactions: jmdirt

Quite the opposite actually.

Reactions: ppanther92
No one is a bigger MVDP fanboy than me, but this sh__ is getting overanalyzed to death at this point. The guy has some back pain - along with a billion or so other folks stumbling around planet. The great thing about MVDP is he pretty much does whatever the hell he wants. I'm sure he'll figure this out and get back to ass kicking asap. He has a history of bouncing back from disappointment - see stage 2 TDF for latest example.

I don't think you understand. This is about top athletes. Not you and me. Once they struggle with back problems, it often becomes chronic .
Many riders struggle with back problems throughout their career, due to falls, sitting position, constant changing of discipline. If this isn't handled properly from the start, it often won't work out. So, for VdP it's essential that the back problems are now definitively solved. So by properly rehabilitating and by using the bicycle wisely.