• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The "MVP" Mathieu Van der Poel Road Discussion Thread

Page 165 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
He was far, far from a situation of sheer powerlessness, not even close. He could have:
Gone back to his original room with the teammate roommate (by far the best option)
Called his coaches and have them make sure he wasn’t interrupted again by posting someone in hall
Called his coaches and have them go be the heavy with the paren
Called the hotel to intervene (I wouldn’t have a lot of faith that would work).
Asked his girlfriend to sit outside for awhile.

instead, he lies in wait and chases them? Very strange

So the alternative is:
  • moving out to avoid people harassing him in the night
  • call coaches in the middle of the night with the question if they want to sleep in his hallway
  • call the hotel so they can say something against the parents. (most usefull and probably like you say also pointless since it wasn't the first time)
  • throw his girlfriend out of bed and let her sleep in the hallway

i'm sorry but you are joking right? These aren't solutions.

Harassment is harassment. And yes people think its a normal teenager prank... well as i stated before, in that case it is also a usual ass beating if you get caught. (also typically you do it once, not multiple times again and again.. in some parts of america they can probably shoot you since you are trespassing, after repeatadly being asked to stop...)
In court he can sue,unfortunatly what can he get out of it? not much. Lost damages are hard to prove. At best he can get a fine for the parents and a restraining order, which i think is pointless as they will never meet again in normal situations.
That said, he shouldn't sue for the judge or whoever is presiding this case to remove the fine crap and give the parents a stern stare as well... This is absolutely redonculess that it gets to this point for a matter where two parties involved are at fault...

Loads of people have done the ring and run stuff in their youth. Barely any adult have chased and pinned underage girls to the floor in their underwear. But somehow certain people here believe that the former is worse than the latter.

Again, does it matter it were girls? no it doesn't
Does the underage has an implication? no it shouldn't . It is not because they are younger they have more rights... the rights are the same, they might not be held accountable, but the parents will be in that case.

Its not about a one time thing, it is about a repeatitive harassment where they were asked to stop but didn't.

Last edited:
So the alternative is:
  • call coaches in the middle of the night with the question if they want to sleep in his hallway
-call the hotel so they can say something against the parents. (most usefull and probably like you say also pointless since it wasn't the first time)
- throw his girlfriend out of bed and let her sleep in the hallway

All of which are better options than risk being disturbed further the night before your biggest race of the season.

Ding dong ditching may amount to harassment, and it is worthy of note that a parent may be liable if they helped their child commit the offense.

in uk it is punishable to up to 14 days in jail for ding dong ditching

In pennsylvania you can be fined up to $400 and up to 90 day jail time.

edit: ding dong ditching is unlawful because it infringes on the rights of others and disturbs the peace.

I don't want to say this should happen to them, but some here don't seem to understand that knocking on people door is a form of harassment and punishable by law. There is a reason for it, it is not just a simple innocent prank...

This is hilarious. First he’s going to have prove financial loss, because could have won is unlikely to cut it, then he’s going to have to prove it was their actions that caused him to be taken in to a police station, spoiler alert, it was his actions that caused that, and then he’s going to have to prove he took all reasonable measures to resolve the issue, which he’s already admitted he didn’t.

You know what has a small but greater chance of succeeding, and certainly damaging a reputation? The case against a man who let kids messing about go on for so long, without taking several obvious steps to resolve the issue, that he couldn’t control himself any more and charged out of his room, in only his underwear, and assaulted two young girls. He’s lucky no one came around the corner to find him running about in his tighty-whiteys pushing a screaming girl into a hotel room.

If he and his people are even remotely intelligent they will do absolutely everything they can to make this disappear quickly and quietly.
I'm going to give you the curtsy of responding one more time, and i will try and make it as clear as possible for you so i don't have to reply to your nonsense again.

1/ It was a question. "Is it possible for him to sue". I 'm pretty sure it is, but i am not claiming anything, unlike you are doing.
2/ I would personally like him to sue if it is possible, because i find the parents attitude appalling and i think this story should have more than one loser. And i would also find it funny.
3/ I am not claiming it is in his best interest. He has already said he wants to leave it behind him as soon as possible, so it is very unlikely.
4/ You keep harking back to what he did after the kids had been misbehaving. This is not the point.
5/ You don't have to prove financial loss to sue. There are plenty of different ways and reasons to sue. When i slap your wife's bum, you also can't prove financial loss. Doesn't mean you can't sue. Same goes for cyberbullying or harassment at work etc. Depriving someone of sleep intentionally and repeatedly is bullying. The kids had been asked to stop but refused.
6/ None of this means i'm ok or supportive of whatever Van der Poel has done, I have been very clear about that as soon as it was clear exactly what he did. But that doesn't take away that the parents attitude is appalling. They knew their kids have been brats in the past, they chose not to either discipline, educate or supervise them and this behavior should not be tolerated. So yes, the parents should be held accountable for their kids harassing strangers.
7/ You responding to every post you don't agree with, with a lol emoticon does in fact show you are about as mature as the kids in this story.

Reactions: KOM
Ding dong ditching may amount to harassment, and it is worthy of note that a parent may be liable if they helped their child commit the offense.

edit: ding dong ditching is unlawful because it infringes on the rights of others and disturbs the peace.

I don't want to say this should happen to them
, but some here don't seem to understand that knocking on people door is a form of harassment and punishable by law. There is a reason for it, it is not just a simple innocent prank...
Why not?

I'm going to give you the curtsy of responding one more time, and i will try and make it as clear as possible for you so i don't have to reply to your nonsense again.

1/ It was a question. "Is it possible for him to sue". I 'm pretty sure it is, but i am not claiming anything, unlike you are doing.
2/ I would personally like him to sue if it is possible, because i find the parents attitude appalling and i think this story should have more than one loser. And i would also find it funny.
3/ I am not claiming it is in his best interest. He has already said he wants to leave it behind him as soon as possible, so it is very unlikely.
4/ You keep harking back to what he did after the kids had been misbehaving. This is not the point.
5/ You don't have to prove financial loss to sue. There are plenty of different ways and reasons to sue. When i slap your wife's bum, you also can't prove financial loss. Doesn't mean you can't sue. Same goes for cyberbullying or harassment at work etc. Depriving someone of sleep intentionally and repeatedly is bullying. The kids had been asked to stop but refused.
6/ None of this means i'm ok or supportive of whatever Van der Poel has done, I have been very clear about that as soon as it was clear exactly what he did. But that doesn't take away that the parents attitude is appalling. They knew their kids have been brats in the past, they chose not to either discipline, educate or supervise them and this behavior should not be tolerated. So yes, the parents should be held accountable for their kids harassing strangers.
7/ You responding to every post you don't agree with, with a lol emoticon does in fact show you are about as mature as the kids in this story.
No, my responding with a laughing emoji is a response to how laughable most of these posts are. Keep defending a guy who assaults kids if you want to.

The other people on the same floor that also got harassed but didn't respond could sue.

I don't want to say this should happen to them, but some here don't seem to understand that knocking on people door is a form of harassment and punishable by law. There is a reason for it, it is not just a simple innocent prank...
The police were there and took MVDP's statement and decided that what the kids did was not harassment or at least not worthy of being cited or given a fine ( i dont think you get 'arrested' for harassment) for it.

Well those are up to punishments, to get those you really need to do a lot worse. Mostly by repetitive and with damages.

Of course i think a fine is in order for the parents, since they allow such behaviour on a regular basis..

The police were there and took MVDP's statement and decided that what the kids did was not harassment or at least not worthy of being cited or given a fine ( i dont think you get 'arrested' for harassment) for it.

Depending on who the police officer is and where you live things can be different on what they do. Arresting is most likely not the case for that evening.

I gave the link:
What can cops do about ding dong ditching

If the victim of a ding dong ditching calls the police on you, you may be arrested or let off with a warning. If the ding dong ditching circumstances are severe, such as damage to property, you may be arrested and charged with trespassing and mischief.

As already indicated, a first-time offender may receive a warning, but the persistent disturbance of the peace can lead to instant arrest and prosecution.

So the alternative is:
  • call the hotel so they can say something against the parents. (most usefull and probably like you say also pointless since it wasn't the first time)
  • throw his girlfriend out of bed and let her sleep in the hallway
i'm sorry but you are joking right? These aren't solutions.
some better than others, but yes, these are solutions.
Some super obvious ones in there too, you should been there. too bad

For everyone that wants the girlfriend to be involved; no. It's not her responsibility. Also I think a number of girlfriends wouldn't be too happy to see their guy run out in his underwear to chase down teenage girls.

I know for sure I wouldn't know whether to hide or try to stop the guy if it was me. I'd definitely scream "YOUR PANTS!" before he did his chase though, because that's just too embarrassing.

Last edited:
it’s possible for anyone to sue anyone. Depending on the situation and how the lawyer words things you can sue. MVDP could sue the parents for the harassment and potentially ask for punitive or per se damages considering the parents knew the children did this and didn’t stop them. The parents could sue MVDP for any personal or emotional injury they and their children suffered. Who would be more successful is a place for the lawyers, judge, and jury (if there is one) to decide. I would assume the parents would potentially have a better chance at winning but I’d also think instead of MVDP getting 100% of the blame, it’d be a shared percentage with the parents.

MVDP should have told his team and the hotel after speaking with the children did not work. The parents shouldn’t let their children harass people, especially like others have said worse could have happened.

Reactions: noob and saunaking
Apparently, Dutch journalists have been in contact with the older sister of the girls who played knock-and-run and she sent them the videos with consent of the parents. (https://www.hln.be/wk-wielrennen/ti...u-van-der-poel-je-hebt-ons-bedreigd~adc33b17/)

Interesting parts in the story:

• They didn't know there was a WC cycling, they were on vacation and had no idea who VDP was.
  • The girls were in one room with the parents in the other room. The parents thought the girls were watching a horror movie but the older sister was in the bathroom while the younger sisters were playing knock-and-run. According to the older sister, the younger sisters frequently play knock-and-run in hotels and the parents know about that.
  • Before the knock-and-run which is on video and shows VDP chasing the girls into their room, they already played knock-and-run on his door multiple times that evening and even in the afternoon (according to VDP).
  • According to the older sister, the parents don't care much about what the girls did but they are mad at VDP and think he got off too easily with a fine.
  • The oldest sister feels somewhat bad that VDP had to miss a night's sleep for such an important race over this but her younger sister apparently doesn't care.

The older sister was obviously adopted

• Haha
Reactions: carolina

TRENDING THREADS