• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The "MVP" Mathieu Van der Poel Road Discussion Thread

Page 201 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Still looking great. Wout was struggling in the climbs today, was rather surprised to see him take the sprint. It's going to be an epic classics season :hearteyes:
They didn't see him struggling, otherwise they would've attacked another time on the next climb. Now they just rode easy after the Kwaremont. That's 37km to recover for a flat sprint, all in Wout's favor.

Last edited:
Just poking some fun, but it has top be said, some new posters have outdone you.
Yeah, I caught the "makes Senna look like a scholar" stuff on Wout's page. Nice win for Wout today. I actually kind've felt good for him as he needed one against MVDP and Pogi. That said, one could argue there were a few cracks today - but even more credit to him for hanging in there and getting the job done. I assume his form will improve some between now and RVV though and he'll be right there. I'm interested to see what Chris Horner's story will be on Wout's win. According to Chris, Wout is always THE strongest and only loses because he gets marked too much or bad tactics, etc. Of course as a scrawny GC guy, he loves that fact that Wout is wasting his talent being a domestique for guys like him.

Reactions: Open Horizon
Yeah, I caught the "makes Senna look like a scholar" stuff on Wout's page. Nice win for Wout today. I actually kind've felt good for him as he needed one against MVDP and Pogi. That said, one could argue there were a few cracks today - but even more credit to him for hanging in there and getting the job done. I assume his form will improve some between now and RVV though and he'll be right there. I'm interested to see what Chris Horner's story will be on Wout's win. According to Chris, Wout is always THE strongest and only loses because he gets marked too much or bad tactics, etc. Of course as a scrawny GC guy, he loves that fact that Wout is wasting his talent being a domestique for guys like him.
It was clear today he was the least of the 3. But maybe that makes it all the sweeter for him. He's lost a lot of races where he was the strongest (Olympic RR for instance) or on par. So now the shoe's on the other foot for once.

I have to wonder how much that mechanical cost him in the end as he chased back on up the berg. If he had one more effort left on him to close that final pog attack he would have had a sprint. And we all know how that would have ended.

Pog was amazing and I was not surprised to see him win. He deserves it and was the strongest by a way. He is a legend of the sport. Mvdp should be in fine form for Roubaix, which we all know is his hearts desire.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I have to wonder how much that mechanical cost him in the end as he chased back on up the berg. If he had one more effort left on him to close that final pog attack he would have had a sprint. And we all know how that would have ended.

Pog was amazing and I was not surprised to see him win. He deserves it and was the strongest by a way. He is a legend of the sport. Mvdp should be in fine form for Roubaix, which we all know is his hearts desire.
Took a little bit, but I think less than the Kruisberg attack. Pogacar was following very easily at that point.

Reactions: saunaking
VDP's results in Vlaanderen for the last few years:

2020: 1st
2021: 2nd
2022: 1st
2023: 2nd.

At which point does it become a pattern.
2019: If he didn't crash.
2021: If he didn't worked to hard with Asgreen and before.
2023: If Pogi was a normal climber.

Could've won 5 in a row :D But this is really impressive, looking forward to Roubaix in this shape. Should be on his palmares.

Don't really know how the race went. They went away quite early, no good chase behind them and Hoste never wins that sprint in a million years?

I don't really know what to think of the older Ronde van Vlaanderens in terms of fields. I do know Cancellara was weirdly bad at it before 2010.
Cancellara was 6th that year. Boonen was the strongest on Koppenberg and forced the selection of the winning group.

But obviously Cancellara wasn't the beast on the hills then as he was since Beijing.