• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The "MVP" Mathieu Van der Poel Road Discussion Thread

Page 211 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I could see UAE and Jumbo making the race hard on some of those medium mountain stages so it might be unrealistic to think the early breaks will make it. If he is always jumping in breaks that get caught that will wear him down and take away some of his explosiveness, no? But I don’t think I know his stage race history well enough to know for sure.
Yes offcourse he will have to manage his efforts. But the last years the break is often very big so you don't waste much energy there if all teams are represent. Jumbo sent a lot of guys in front last year so UAE will copy that. But it's Mathieu, even in the Giro with bad legs he spent to much time in the wind. Just wanna see him with a good prep there, win some stages and be ready for the Worlds. That's his main goal, apart from finishing the Tour.

Reactions: Sciatic
This is the problem with a GT's for guys like MVDP. Of course you want to see him race as much as possible as a fan, but at the end of the day, unless it is something truly unique and spectacular like him winning yellow for his Paps, stage wins don't count for much, and most days it's JRA and DNC. Arriving in Glasgow at 100% is all the matters. And then on to the MTB in Sept and Oct. Not a bad year when you get CX WC, 1st SR, 2nd RVV, 1st PR, Road World Champion, and 2 or 3 World Cup MTB wins including a couple over here in North America.

This is the problem with a GT's for guys like MVDP. Of course you want to see him race as much as possible as a fan, but at the end of the day, unless it is something truly unique and spectacular like him winning yellow for his Paps, stage wins don't count for much, and most days it's JRA and DNC. Arriving in Glasgow at 100% is all the matters. And then on to the MTB in Sept and Oct. Not a bad year when you get CX WC, 1st SR, 2nd RVV, 1st PR, Road World Champion, and 2 or 3 World Cup MTB wins including a couple over here in North America.
Strangely I agree with this.

I guess it dipends on how you obtain the win. Pantani wins on Alpe where iconic, because it destroyed the field, Pinot won from the break and in a sprint.
I agree on the fact that Vingegaard win were impressive, but as you said, things are a bit different for non GC contenders, as their wins have zero implication in the bigger picture

Reactions: Sandisfan
I guess it's all up for debate but, as a classics fan, I consider TdF stages to be quite prestigious. Every great has a handful of them and if he doesn't get 5+ I would consider it a gap in his palmares. Don't care if it's a sprint or a mountain, stages are stages IMO. Classics are better of course, but not only are TdF stages pretigious they also appeal to the American casual viewer, which like it or not, they provide a lot of media/bike revenue and are a large part of why cycling has the funds to pay the riders. I hope to see MvdP get between 5 and 10 by the time he's done.

Last edited:
I guess it dipends on how you obtain the win. Pantani wins on Alpe where iconic, because it destroyed the field, Pinot won from the break and in a sprint.
I agree on the fact that Vingegaard win were impressive, but as you said, things are a bit different for non GC contenders, as their wins have zero implication in the bigger picture
Another way to think about the value of a stage win is when the break "takes it away".

How much would Quintana's plamarès be improved in the counterfactual where no break gets away between Croix-de-Fer and Alpe d'Huez in 2015? He still distances Froome by the same margin and thus finishes 2nd in GC, but he actually wins the stage. I think most of the value of such a stage win was already present at his actual ride to 2nd on the stage. So less of an improvement compared to winning Milano - Torino, I think.

Of course, a great performance nontheless. Some of the values of winning on iconic climbs stands from the fact that pure climbers can rarely have a shot at winning big classic, so these wins stand out in their palmares. For someone like Pogacar, even an iconic stage won't ever compare to RVV and the same can be said for VdP, palmares wise. Still, some stage wins will form part of their legacy, like Merckx on Tre Cime di Lavaredo or Coppi in the '49 Cuneo-Pinerolo. I thinck VdP win on Mur the Bretagne or Vinge win on Granon will remain in our memory for a long time.

My maths are not great, but I don't think riding a couple of world cups will be enough to get Olympic qualification. The Dutch are currently so low in the rankings.
He needs to ride the Glasgow MTB worlds which has automatic Olympic qualification for first and second.

My maths are not great, but I don't think riding a couple of world cups will be enough to get Olympic qualification. The Dutch are currently so low in the rankings.
He needs to ride the Glasgow MTB worlds which has automatic Olympic qualification for first and second.

Milan Vader will ride Nové Mesto so they can start to gain some points.

I don't think the first and second in Glasgow have automatic qualification. The first and second nations there, who are not qualificated by ranking, will get a place, which should open Netherlands chances of getting a spot even with a top-20 or so at the World Championships, because most of the nations who will get the top individual results will be qualified by ranking.

That's how Portugal won a place in the women's XCO in Tokyo, by virtue of a 16th or 24th place in the Women's U23 World Championship, being the best placed country not qualified by ranking.

I don't know, I would put greater emphasis on hypothetical Flèche victories over the actual Tour stage victories on Alpe d'Huez and Tourmalet by Pinot.

Vingegaard's victory on Granon was obviously a different level (likewise his win on Hautacam), but that stems from the GC impact.
I think especially when talking about stage wins there's often attempts to make one stage win worth much more than the other, when it really shouldn't.

Some wins can simply be extremely satisfying to watch without it needing to enhance a riders palmares by that much.

Reactions: jmdirt and Blanco
His Top 10 ranking from CX/Road gets him a 4th row start for any XCO World Cups he rides, however, for the Worlds it's based on UCI World ranking...he'd likely be dead last...100+ ahead of him. Good luck with that.

500 points for a World title. 250 for a XCO World Cup win. The Dutch are currently on 839 points in 31st place.

I think especially when talking about stage wins there's often attempts to make one stage win worth much more than the other, when it really shouldn't.

Some wins can simply be extremely satisfying to watch without it needing to enhance a riders palmares by that much.
It also depends a lot on the specific rider's palmares.
I mean, Houle's stage win in the 2022 TdF will define his career as a rider, while it would be quickly neglected in VdP's palmares.

Reactions: Sandisfan and jono

I could argue that on occasion some GC stages do matter more than others—if they flip the script of the entire race, Andy on Galibier for example. But the rare example does not prove a point.

There are memorable stages, of course, legendary ones. They stand the test of time and stay in the memory of cycling fans forever. But the feat itself isn't that someone won that stage, but how he won it. That's make it so legendary. I mean there were Alpe D'Huez and Ventoux stages that weren't so great, not every win there is stuff of legends. Stages itself don't carry the same weight as big one day races, and the only way they could come close or match them is when they are won in spectacular manner.

TRENDING THREADS