• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The "MVP" Mathieu Van der Poel Road Discussion Thread

Page 274 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Was LBL always on his calendar or is it a new addition?
Was there from the start AFAIK. I still kinda hope he skips Amstel in order to be better rested for it. I don’t necessarily think he can go up against an in form Pogi and Evenepoel in LBL, but I’ve learned to stop putting things past Mathieu… So I’ll just watch it without any expectations and hope for some fireworks.

Okay, our man Horner has now officially "jumped the shark" with his nonsense about MVDP. He's got to be trolling at this point.
It seemed like an April fool's video. I mean he practically said the tailwind pushed MVDP to the win looooool.

Then he goes on some tangent about how the weather was PERFECT for MVDP and if its 30 degrees at LBL and MVDP drops Teddy, THEN he will consider bumping him in the rankings haha

Horner has a crazy crush on Van Aert and has some kind of extreme overvaluation for Tour Stages and Jonas domestique work.

A couple years ago Boonen commented that Wout has to focus on the classics and not so much on the Tour or something to that effect,
Horner went off on Boonen on in one of his vids and said Boonen has accomplished less than Wout hahaha. I'm not making this up

Was there from the start AFAIK. I still kinda hope he skips Amstel in order to be better rested for it. I don’t necessarily think he can go up against an in form Pogi and Evenepoel in LBL, but I’ve learned to stop putting things past Mathieu… So I’ll just watch it without any expectations and hope for some fireworks.

I don't think Evenepoel is going to be a problem this year.

• Haha
Reactions: stonerider
Let's face it, Pogacar dropped MvdP on his 'home terrain': the Flemish cobbles, I would be very surprised if MvdP stands a chance on La Redoute. AGR could be quite an equal contention with the 1 - 1.5km max climbs, but LBL just favours the lightweights too much.
MVDP wasn't as strong last year at De Ronde, as he is now. But I do think that Pogacar will probably just win it easily.

Reactions: Krzysztof_O
View: https://twitter.com/Domestique___/status/1777586156151902658

It is a bit old news. But I came across this quote from Mathieu (https://www.globalcyclingnetwork.co...cobbles-are-meant-to-be-ridden-on-a-road-bike):

In an honest recollection, Van der Poel explained: “Last year I struggled a bit actually [in the Tour of Flanders] when Pogačar was riding wider tires. He was really flying on the cobbles.”

In this year's edition of the Tour of Flanders, Van der Poel put this knowledge to good use, admitting to stopping and lowering his tire pressures twice during the race.

“I stopped twice to change the tire pressure because I already saw it was going to rain in the final, and I know how slippery cobbles are.”

Lowering his tire pressure was a smart move, looking at how slippery Koppenberg was.

Let's face it, Pogacar dropped MvdP on his 'home terrain': the Flemish cobbles, I would be very surprised if MvdP stands a chance on La Redoute. AGR could be quite an equal contention with the 1 - 1.5km max climbs, but LBL just favours the lightweights too much.
hmm but VDP rvv 23 was not as strong as VDP worlds 23 or VDP rvv/PR/e3 24.
still think pogi easily drops him btw, i just don't think that example is the best one.

It seemed like an April fool's video. I mean he practically said the tailwind pushed MVDP to the win looooool.

Then he goes on some tangent about how the weather was PERFECT for MVDP and if its 30 degrees at LBL and MVDP drops Teddy, THEN he will consider bumping him in the rankings haha

Horner has a crazy crush on Van Aert and has some kind of extreme overvaluation for Tour Stages and Jonas domestique work.

A couple years ago Boonen commented that Wout has to focus on the classics and not so much on the Tour or something to that effect,
Horner went off on Boonen on in one of his vids and said Boonen has accomplished less than Wout hahaha. I'm not making this up

At this point watching Horner's takes on Van der Poel and the 'big guy' Van Aert is like watching a clown perform a number in a circus, we can just laugh at his fanboyism.

Last edited:
Is your running VO2 max still increasing or steady. Since I started running regularly, every day, it has been increasing by one unit every 2-3 weeks. That's why I think it's a gimmick.
Pretty steady. I only run about 3 times per week. When I’ve taken time off it’s dropped as low as 53 and taken some time to creep back up to 57 then seems to stay there. I haven’t really committed to running enough to get better though. It sounds like your rise might be directionally accurate.

Reactions: Slavique Nuke
immensely impressive watching this guy on this form, one thing is his win but for me the way he usually wins to is as impressive as the win with this guy usually, just such a beast.

I read he said he was pretty close to his Glasgow form. Gonne be really fun to see what he can do in Amstel again or if hes starting to get tired.

Do people really follow these advices? I wear the FR955 all the time but it gives me such stupid recommendations, like I've had my easy morning run almost 10 hours ago but even now it recommends 23 hours of recovery time and constantly suggests runs at a joke 5:30 pace or rest days. Of course I never follow them.

image-67172609-1.jpg

The only value of these watches is that you can see your pace while you're running, accurate GPS and you can connect your chest strap to it. Sometimes a map if you're in unfamiliar territory. The rest is just a bad gimmick. I wonder how bad Whoop can be if it offers none of these things.
From the looks of things, MVDP's recovery time was about 12 seconds.