• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The official Egan Bernal is the new Egan Bernal thread

Page 121 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
He must be doing this training with teammates. Reading the comments it will be weird if He doesn't go to the Tour. Similar to the Giro INEOS will go to the Tour with no clear leader and with many good riders that can hunt stages if GC does not work.

Last edited:
Today he was doing TT efforts with his head trainer at "home' in "Monaco". So he's definitely training to do a GC, and I doubt he's preparing for the Vuelta time-trials from this far out. So yeah, my guess is that he's probably going for the Tour, probably with a free role next to Martinez behind Rodriguez who is probably Ineos' best chance at a podium right now.

Reactions: xo 1 and Escarabajo
It seems that his progression post injury has stagnated or am I missing something?
When I saw how he was going in Romandie I honestly expected/hoped for a bit better than this. Also given his comments about training after Dauphine etc.

But oh well, we cannot expect miracles. At least good to see him on the front contributing to the bike race.

Even if he came back to his old self, he couldn't compete at all with Pogi or Vingegaard. His tour win was a major fluke and stars really alligned to his win (Froome's crash, Pinot's injury, lack of competition, Thomas's motivation after winning the Tour).
+ Dumoulin’s crash
+ Shortened stage that took time gaps at a midway point when Bernal was on attack and others had not yet countered
+ Roglic not riding that year

Reactions: Monte Serra
+ Dumoulin’s crash
+ Shortened stage that took time gaps at a midway point when Bernal was on attack and others had not yet countered
+ Roglic not riding that year
What does Roglic has to do with anything in 2019? he lost the Giro against Carapaz and Nibali. Dumoulin's crash? let's pick the moral winner everytime someone crash. This kind of stuff comes back usually when someone is not doing good at the moment, but this is a guy who came back from many surgeries in one year. He could have been in a wheelchair for all I know.
The 2020 Giro was the weakest in history, right?

Group behind was literally riding at domestiques pace.

If it's a MTF 0 shot he takes a full minute on everyone there.

Having said that, Alaphilippe was completely ruined and was never coming back. Only Thomas might feel stolen about that day
The original stage finish was at Tignes at well over 2,000metres. We already saw on that stage that Thomas was powerless. Bernal just rode away from him on the Col de I’Iseran - Bernal didn’t even have to make an attack.

Reactions: Sandisfan
What does Roglic has to do with anything in 2019? he lost the Giro against Carapaz and Nibali. Dumoulin's crash? let's pick the moral winner everytime someone crash. This kind of stuff comes back usually when someone is not doing good at the moment, but this is a guy who came back from many surgeries in one year. He could have been in a wheelchair for all I know.
Roglic was sick in that Giro.

Like I don't know how you watch that Tour, where Bernal was pretty average for 2 whole weeks and think he beats Roglic who won the Vuelta easily despite a weak team and 2 crashes

The original stage finish was at Tignes at well over 2,000metres. We already saw on that stage that Thomas was powerless. Bernal just rode away from him on the Col de I’Iseran - Bernal didn’t even have to make an attack.
I'm not saying Thomas would have won, just that he was the only one who might have benefitted from the stage happening as designed.

I agree it is fantastic he is coming back and we should all applaud his determination. But it was a fortuitous GT, relatively speaking, certainly compared to the last 3 Tour wins IMO. Roglic wanted to ride the Tour but was turned down so rode the Giro, where he crashed, got sick, and lost the Giro. Dumoulin looked like the next world beater in 2018 but his career basically ended, at least as a Gt rider, in a crash in 2019, so that certainly had an impact IMO. Same with Froome’s crash.
I could be wrong, but what I remember is Bernal going on a long range attack and everyone assuming it was part of a coordinated plan with G, but then G didn’t get to ride across because the stage was shortened.