• We're giving away a Cyclingnews water bottle! Find out more here!

The official Egan Bernal is the new Egan Bernal thread

Page 56 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

PremierAndrew said:
Red Rick said:
Pantani Attacks said:
Giro-Vuelta double next year? Presumably Dawg will want one final crack at the Tour so Bernal gets second choice and Carapaz, Thomas and Poels more than able to dom the **** out of the opposition so no need for Bernal to even go.
Doubt theyll risk winning the Tour on the bet that Dawg is 100% again
Is Poels even gonna be at ineos next year
Don't think Poels is ever leaving that team.
 
Re: Re:

Pantani Attacks said:
Red Rick said:
Pantani Attacks said:
Giro-Vuelta double next year? Presumably Dawg will want one final crack at the Tour so Bernal gets second choice and Carapaz, Thomas and Poels more than able to dom the **** out of the opposition so no need for Bernal to even go.
Doubt theyll risk winning the Tour on the bet that Dawg is 100% again
Still have Thomas as a backup again though... Or Carapaz
Guess a lot depends on the route what the optimal team is.
 
Re: Re:

PremierAndrew said:
Red Rick said:
Pantani Attacks said:
Giro-Vuelta double next year? Presumably Dawg will want one final crack at the Tour so Bernal gets second choice and Carapaz, Thomas and Poels more than able to dom the **** out of the opposition so no need for Bernal to even go.
Doubt theyll risk winning the Tour on the bet that Dawg is 100% again
Is Poels even gonna be at ineos next year
Even if Poels leaves I'm sure they can place a diet coke can on a bike and it'll guide Froome et al up a mountain
 
Re: Re:

Pricey_sky said:
Pricey_sky said:
Hugo Koblet said:
Juan Pelota said:
Welp Thomas Tour in doubt.

I bet Bernal at +3300 odds to win the Tour a month ago. He's now down to +500.
I assume you meant odds 33 a month ago and odds 5 now. Good bet, though. Odds 33 was still way above the market a month ago.

Yes very good odds, when news came through of Froome being involved in a crash and likely was going to miss the Tour I got 20/1 on Bernal each-way before the UK bookies took the markets down.

Bernal would have been a very short priced favourite had Thomas’ injuries also ruled him out.
Winner winner, chicken dinner :lol:
https://www.idahopress.com/community/the-true-story-of-chicken-dinner-road/article_f1f3d66d-fc93-527a-af6b-93b22bfc7788.html
 
Re: Re:

jmdirt said:
Pricey_sky said:
Pricey_sky said:
Hugo Koblet said:
Juan Pelota said:
Welp Thomas Tour in doubt.

I bet Bernal at +3300 odds to win the Tour a month ago. He's now down to +500.
I assume you meant odds 33 a month ago and odds 5 now. Good bet, though. Odds 33 was still way above the market a month ago.

Yes very good odds, when news came through of Froome being involved in a crash and likely was going to miss the Tour I got 20/1 on Bernal each-way before the UK bookies took the markets down.

Bernal would have been a very short priced favourite had Thomas’ injuries also ruled him out.
Winner winner, chicken dinner :lol:
https://www.idahopress.com/community/the-true-story-of-chicken-dinner-road/article_f1f3d66d-fc93-527a-af6b-93b22bfc7788.html
It won’t let me read the article in my location so not sure what the message is.
 
Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Red Rick said:
Valv.Piti said:
Little bit disappointed, I thought he wanted to win the stage, but oh well.

Congrats on the amazing win.
Dunno if he was told to stay with Thomas.

Congrats anyway
I have no clue. He looked fine.

Meh ending
They didn't want to mess up Thomas's second place, so it was better for them not to have bonuses on offer.

I mean, you hate to not fight for the win because of minor placings, but second is the least minor of placings, and Thomas isn't fighting for the win precisely because he is Bernal's teammate, so Bernal had to roll with it.

Chapeau Egan Bernal! He was the youngest rider left in the race and definitely the strongest rider left in the race, he fought bravely through ups and downs, crosswinds and thunderstorms, and he was unafraid to risk everything for the prize he conquered. Cycling rarely works out that way, but when it does, it's spectacular.
 
Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
fauniera said:
Red Rick said:
Hes still unproven as the best climber in a GT peloton.

Didnt drop Quintana in PN, wasnt better than A Yates or MAL in Catalunya.
Those were relatively easy stages. Let's wait for some real mountains. I'm convinced Bernal can win this Tour. I also think he would have won the Giro.
I predict a total weirdo podium of Bernal, Manny Buchmann and Kruijswijk.
You came very close. :eek:
What are the lottery numbers? :lol:
 
Re: Re:

hrotha said:
Red Rick said:
hrotha said:
Best winner we could have had. And if he goes on to dominate (as seems perfectly possible), no one will care about any asterisks.
Pinot.
Pinot is not a winner we could have had because he's Pinot.
Pinot will win a big one, one day, probably soon. And he really doesn't deserve that: he's a class act, and he had a heck of a ride.

But otherwise kudos on an almost perfect joke.
 
Re: Re:

Forever The Best said:
Valv.Piti said:
fauniera said:
Red Rick said:
Hes still unproven as the best climber in a GT peloton.

Didnt drop Quintana in PN, wasnt better than A Yates or MAL in Catalunya.
Those were relatively easy stages. Let's wait for some real mountains. I'm convinced Bernal can win this Tour. I also think he would have won the Giro.
I predict a total weirdo podium of Bernal, Manny Buchmann and Kruijswijk.
You came very close. :eek:
What are the lottery numbers? :lol:
Wow I dont remember that at all. Thats actually pretty scary, holy *** that was close. :lol:
 
Strongest climber in the race. Could dominate for many years.

Could, but 1 remark:
-His TT was simply not very good. This could spell trouble if they ever decide to finally put a proper TT in the Tour de France again instead of these 30km laughable things.
 
He will likely dominate as he will get stronger, more confident and more mature - in TT as well. Riding for Ineous they will work on that aspect.

But it isn't a done deal. Next year we see Dumo and maybe Froome back. Possibly Carapaz too who is also young. Might also depend upon the course e.g. high altitude passes and TT kilometres.
 
Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Strongest climber in the race. Could dominate for many years.

Could, but 1 remark:
-His TT was simply not very good. This could spell trouble if they ever decide to finally put a proper TT in the Tour de France again instead of these 30km laughable things.
It was easily his worst ITT since coming over from Androni. He called it a bad day to have a bad day. I very much doubt that time trial represents the future standard, as he has shown on multiple occasions he can and should do much better.
 
IIRC, his TT in the 2018 ToC wasn't that great either, shipping lots of time to Tejay. Didn't matter in the end, of course. In Suisse this year however his TT was very decent so it seems he is a bit inconsistent with his TT.
 
38 years in the making for us Colombians to have a compatriot winning Le Tour for the 1st time ever!! difficult to put in words what is like to witness such wonderful moment!!

Congratulations Egan & thank you for that glorious achievement
The World already knows your name and what you're capable of in your meteoric career to greatness. Stay Humble, Stay hungry, Stay ambitious, Stay grateful, Stay loyal to your principles & stay a proud man who has earned his greatness with hard work!!

Gracias Egan
 
Back home celebrating:

https://www.revistamundociclistico.com/2019/egan-bernal-esta-en-colombia-y-ya-recibio-su-primer-reconocimiento/

https://www.revistamundociclistico.com/2019/me-siento-muy-orgulloso-de-haber-traido-esta-camiseta-a-colombia-y-mas-a-zipaquira-egan-bernal/

He is the king of Colombia now.

Once he was living in a single space with his family. Now he does not even use a car but planes and helicopters to be transported. Very humble human being this one is.
Are you being sarcastic?

Is there any moving images of the celebrations?
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS