• We're giving away a Cyclingnews water bottle! Find out more here!

The official Egan Bernal is the new Egan Bernal thread

Page 55 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
sienna said:
Will he turn Froome and Thomas into mere domestiques?
Thomas just accepted the job. I think the jury is out as to whether Froome will regain his prior form. Between the injury and father time, odds are he too will join the domestique ranks or retire (the latter more likely).
 
sienna said:
Will he turn Froome and Thomas into mere domestiques?
Surely G would go for the giro next year? Froome, who knows?
I love how he just rides away, no huge injection in pace, just a gradual increase until he breaks everyone's heart. Relentless.
 
Publicus said:
sienna said:
Will he turn Froome and Thomas into mere domestiques?
Thomas just accepted the job. I think the jury is out as to whether Froome will regain his prior form. Between the injury and father time, odds are he too will join the domestique ranks or retire (the latter more likely).
Even if I dont like Froome or his team. I would like to see him back and racing at least. Even if he dont regain his former level. Maybe he can still be used as a domestique. Being able to win a stage. Something. Just not having to retire because of an horrible injury. He has nothing to prove but just ending on a good note.
 
Re: Re:

MatParker117 said:
Salvarani said:
Pantani_lives said:
He's in the same situation as Contador in 2009: I could like him, but he's riding for the wrong team.
Yeah.

Hopefully he will change team in a couple of years.
Signed through 2023
Yeah it’s not going to happen, he’s got a long contract, earning big bucks for a strong team that focuses on stage races/GT’s and gave him a fair shot of winning the Tour this year.
 
Libertine Seguros said:
Singer01 said:
sienna said:
Will he turn Froome and Thomas into mere domestiques?
Surely G would go for the giro next year? Froome, who knows?
I love how he just rides away, no huge injection in pace, just a gradual increase until he breaks everyone's heart. Relentless.
Depends, they are about to sign the defending champion in the Corsa Rosa.
And there is Sivakov to consider. Ineos need to finance a 4th grand tour to let all their riders have a shot at team leadership.

Though if jumbo send all their talent to the Tour next year, ineos have to stack up against them. Especially if their is a TTT.
 
Re: Re:

Pricey_sky said:
Hugo Koblet said:
Juan Pelota said:
Welp Thomas Tour in doubt.

I bet Bernal at +3300 odds to win the Tour a month ago. He's now down to +500.
I assume you meant odds 33 a month ago and odds 5 now. Good bet, though. Odds 33 was still way above the market a month ago.

Yes very good odds, when news came through of Froome being involved in a crash and likely was going to miss the Tour I got 20/1 on Bernal each-way before the UK bookies took the markets down.

Bernal would have been a very short priced favourite had Thomas’ injuries also ruled him out.
Winner winner, chicken dinner :lol:
 
Re: Re:

Pricey_sky said:
Pricey_sky said:
Hugo Koblet said:
Juan Pelota said:
Welp Thomas Tour in doubt.

I bet Bernal at +3300 odds to win the Tour a month ago. He's now down to +500.
I assume you meant odds 33 a month ago and odds 5 now. Good bet, though. Odds 33 was still way above the market a month ago.

Yes very good odds, when news came through of Froome being involved in a crash and likely was going to miss the Tour I got 20/1 on Bernal each-way before the UK bookies took the markets down.

Bernal would have been a very short priced favourite had Thomas’ injuries also ruled him out.
Winner winner, chicken dinner :lol:
Drinks are on you.
 
Special talent indeed and next 5 years or so he should be the benchmark for everyone aspiring to win the Tour or any other GT he is participating in. After that, who knows, as he is obviously a very early developer and longevity is anything but guaranteed for that type of riders.

Next year it should be a title defence, but after that I hope to see him taking on Giro and Vuelta too. Unfortunately in this context, he is riding for the most Tour-centric team outside of the French ones.
 
Giro-Vuelta double next year? Presumably Dawg will want one final crack at the Tour so Bernal gets second choice and Carapaz, Thomas and Poels more than able to dom the *** out of the opposition so no need for Bernal to even go.
 
Re:

Pantani Attacks said:
Giro-Vuelta double next year? Presumably Dawg will want one final crack at the Tour so Bernal gets second choice and Carapaz, Thomas and Poels more than able to dom the **** out of the opposition so no need for Bernal to even go.
Doubt theyll risk winning the Tour on the bet that Dawg is 100% again
 
Re: Re:

Red Rick said:
Pantani Attacks said:
Giro-Vuelta double next year? Presumably Dawg will want one final crack at the Tour so Bernal gets second choice and Carapaz, Thomas and Poels more than able to dom the **** out of the opposition so no need for Bernal to even go.
Doubt theyll risk winning the Tour on the bet that Dawg is 100% again
Still have Thomas as a backup again though... Or Carapaz
 
Re: Re:

Red Rick said:
Pantani Attacks said:
Giro-Vuelta double next year? Presumably Dawg will want one final crack at the Tour so Bernal gets second choice and Carapaz, Thomas and Poels more than able to dom the **** out of the opposition so no need for Bernal to even go.
Doubt theyll risk winning the Tour on the bet that Dawg is 100% again
Is Poels even gonna be at ineos next year
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts