• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The official Egan Bernal is the new Egan Bernal thread

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Interesting.

Had hoped for Movistar and if not Astana, but I guess Sky isn't too bad either. They are getting a bad rep for only caring about brits and TdF, I mean, look at their roster.... they don't, really. Anyways, Bernal isn't expected to lead the Tour anyway soon (earliest in 2020) and by that point, Froome is 35. Hardly a problem. You'd want him to ride the Giro, the Vuelta, all the mountainous one week races first. I don't think Sky is bad in that aspect, they let their other riders get a chance in many races. if you are good enough that is and Bernal certainly is.

Ask yourself this: Why do you think they have bought him out of his contract?

So Bernal can be a component in the Sky Train in the mountains of the Giro and Vuelta. I anticipate seeing him walking around with this blank look in his eyes spouting Sky-speak and breaking my heart that they have irreparably broken his spirit. ;)

Re: Re:

Escarabajo said:
Valv.Piti said:
Interesting.

Had hoped for Movistar and if not Astana, but I guess Sky isn't too bad either. They are getting a bad rep for only caring about brits and TdF, I mean, look at their roster.... they don't, really. Anyways, Bernal isn't expected to lead the Tour anyway soon (earliest in 2020) and by that point, Froome is 35. Hardly a problem. You'd want him to ride the Giro, the Vuelta, all the mountainous one week races first. I don't think Sky is bad in that aspect, they let their other riders get a chance in many races. if you are good enough that is and Bernal certainly is.

Ask yourself this: Why do you think they have bought him out of his contract?
To eliminate a future enemy of the brits!!!!
:D :lol: :lol: :D

Just kidding!!!

it reminds me of when Bruyneel and US Postal bought Roberto Heras. That also sickened me. :(

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Sky is getting split with British Cycling so the UK links severes. And as living in UK, let me tell you, no one cares about Froome here. If Bernal won or Froome there would be same amount of attention to Sky.

Anyone complaining about this transfer must be a teen living with his parents or never paid for anything in their life. These Colombians mostly come from very poor families and also getting pro contract take the pressure of caring for much of the family, if Bernal turns good enough I'm sure he'll have plenty of options there.

Re:

Gloin22 said:
Sky is getting split with British Cycling so the UK links severes. And as living in UK, let me tell you, no one cares about Froome here. If Bernal won or Froome there would be same amount of attention to Sky.

Anyone complaining about this transfer must be a teen living with his parents or never paid for anything in their life. These Colombians mostly come from very poor families and also getting pro contract take the pressure of caring for much of the family, if Bernal turns good enough I'm sure he'll have plenty of options there.
Colombian cyclists coming from very poor families is a stereotype that's far from true. Yes, Colombia is a 3rd world country, high Gini, and coming from countryside makes them on a limited income... But, if they had enough to buy several bikes including the first decent one to start competing in lower ranks, to play club and race fees, then they were not as poor as people living in city slums, where football gets all the attention

slosada said:
Gloin22 said:

Colombian cyclists coming from very poor families is a stereotype that's far from true. Yes, Colombia is a 3rd world country, high Gini, and coming from countryside makes them on a limited income... But, if they had enough to buy several bikes including the first decent one to start competing in lower ranks, to play club and race fees, then they were not as poor as people living in city slums, where football gets all the attention

A lot of them got to borrow a bike or got a bike from an uncle etc. Still even though a lot of the current Colombian pro's grew up in poor conditions they care a lot less about money then most of the people who grow up with good wealth. I dont know for what reasons Bernal chose to go to Sky it might be money or it might be some sort of dream team for him or any other reason, I don't like him going there but I think Bernal cares a lot about his development and took this into account with the team he chose.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Gloin22 said:

Wouldn't any protour contract pay him a substantial enough wage to "take the pressure of caring for much of the family"?

slosada said:
Gloin22 said:

Dude im from Colombia and that is a total lie, the first bike they buy to compete in lower banks are super humble bikes, the only thing the have is bike, i know the village where Nairo born and his parents and they are farmers, he start compiting in a $200 bike, the colombian cycling federation is a shame they dont suport cyclist, so dont said that because mainly all of colombian WT riders are humble.

diegocamilo410 said:
slosada said:
Gloin22 said:

Dude im from Colombia and that is a total lie, the first bike they buy to compete in lower banks are super humble bikes, the only thing the have is bike, i know the village where Nairo born and his parents and they are farmers, he start compiting in a $200 bike, the colombian cycling federation is a shame they dont suport cyclist, so dont said that because mainly all of colombian WT riders are humble.
Since we are deviating from the topic, this is the last time I reply about this:

Calling the origin card is a fallacy, but I got news for you: I'm also from Colombia.
Do you think cycling is cheap? Do you know many riders pay to race even at elite level? Or that every cyclist has a sponsor when they start? Do you know they have to pay to represent Colombia in a World Championship? Are you aware of Mision Fares Team scandal at Vuelta de la Juventud 2017?
Yes, most Colombian cyclists are humble, they are not rich, not even by Colombian standards... But, most of these families have had disposable income to invest in their children interests. Most of these families are not begging their kid to send money back because they are starving, which is the idea I dispute.

It's a common thing that the young cyclists, go for a ride and then have to work in the farm or milk the cows, so it comes to your mind that some of these families actually own land, and they have a job. What was Lucho doing when he started? What does Arrendondo do in the offseason? What used to do Serpa? What has Nairo claimed repeatedly? ... Should I continue or the message is clear?

pastronef said:
the asian said:
Terrible choice..

He'll be made to slave for British Riders for the rest of his contract.

and FOR FREE!!!

wtf poor guy, so unlucky! it's a scam!
:rolleyes:

It's a stupid choice but it's his own fault.

He has thought only about the short term & chosen money over career development.

SKY are not renowed for developing young talent. In fact they waste them.

Dombro & Boswell are two fine examples of that.

Sky will not have him slaving for British riders if he is the strongest. Sky would cut the still beating heart out of any rider, British or otherwise, and offer it as a sacrifice to dark Gods if they thought it would help them win. If Landa had shown himself to be the second strongest rider on the team he would be their second leader behind only Froome. The reason he isn't is that he has done nothing much of note since signing his big money contract, not some perverse nationalist desire to use him as an incredibly expensive domestique.

Where Bernal might have problems there is in getting chances to lead before he is clearly one of the strongest in the world. It's tough to come in as a development rider and move up the pecking order when they are always signing established climbers.

I know this will sound like a foreign concept, but just throwing it out there..maybe Bernal wants to learn from a champion. So you narrow it down to Nairo, Froomey, Nibali, Contador. Who is the best right now? Froomey.

Re:

gospina said:
I know this will sound like a foreign concept, but just throwing it out there..maybe Bernal wants to learn from a champion. So you narrow it down to Nairo, Froomey, Nibali, Contador. Who is the best right now? Froomey.
Well, I clearly feel that for a Colombian, Nairo couldn't be better; they obviously share nationality, but Nairo is bright, serious and a very hard worker (not saying Froome is not, Nairo is just a different character, exactly the type of rider/character a young Colombian would want to be).

Anyways, Sky has received a lot of flag (some of it unfairly), I think he will thrive in a couple of years. Lets not forget that Sky isn't an all briitsh team, you have the Henao-brother, the Basque-clique, the Italians.... its no bad place for a young Colombian.

" Team Sky coach Rod Ellingworth concedes that the squad's winning attitude has sometimes meant development of younger riders has suffered"

"Over the last few years we’ve been OK with some young lads, we’ve not been so good with others,” Ellingworth told Cycling Weekly at the team’s pre-season training camp in Mallorca"

"Rod Ellingworth, Sky’s head of performance operations, conceded that the squad’s focus on winning the biggest races on the calendar has in the past been a downfall for the younger members of the team."

Still some hopes for the young riders at Team Sky,

Read more at http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/team-sky-looking-to-give-young-riders-more-race-opportunities-307551#LIARUdLFIVqg5i4b.99

Looks like he won't be in Girobio.

Sergio Martínez -campeón de la pasada Vuelta de la Juventud-, Alvaro Hodeg, John Anderson Rodríguez, Germán Chaves, Cristian Camilo Muñoz y el único antioqueño en la lista, Wilmar Paredes, integran el elenco nacional.

Dos más, ruteros vinculados a dos elencos de marca, el exciclomontañista Wilson Peña (GS Maltinti-Italia) y Einer Rubio y Juan Felipe Guzmán (Élite Vejus-Italia), completan la presencia nacional en esta competencia.

Re:

DNP-Old said:

Sergio Martínez -campeón de la pasada Vuelta de la Juventud-, Alvaro Hodeg, John Anderson Rodríguez, Germán Chaves, Cristian Camilo Muñoz y el único antioqueño en la lista, Wilmar Paredes, integran el elenco nacional.

Dos más, ruteros vinculados a dos elencos de marca, el exciclomontañista Wilson Peña (GS Maltinti-Italia) y Einer Rubio y Juan Felipe Guzmán (Élite Vejus-Italia), completan la presencia nacional en esta competencia.

Probably riding Tour de Savoie with Androni? Definitely top favorite there if he's starting.

Samamba said:
DNP-Old said:

Probably riding Tour de Savoie with Androni? Definitely top favorite there if he's starting.

I think its because Androni has a very busy schedule at the moment. They are currently riding Tour of Bihor + Boucles de la Mayenne, in a few days they will start in Tour of Slovakia, and Slovenia + Savoie will start not much after that.
I think Bernal will do Slovakia + Slovenia.

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
Re:

Gloin22 said:

This isn't true as recent coverage of the Giro shows, Thomas was given far more press than Landa and after Thomas withdrew so did the spectacle of the Giro, sure they still reported 'Team Sky's Mikel Landa' victory but it was little in comparision to a British Sky rider.

It should be noted that for the British press it's Sky + British passport together that'll garner most news, a Yates brother victory won't come close to Froome.

DCdHQg-XUAAgSDu.jpg

Re:

Ruudz0r said:
Egan already attacking 11K into the stage (115K to go + later today a MTT).
I guess its not an attack to stay away but rather eliminate some teammates of Janssens and Lambrecht as Bernal only has 2 teammates left in the race.
Great to see, that shows me a lot. Yesterday he also pretty much announced his attack, then proceeded to crush the field. That's what you want to see from an elite talent, no matter what level he is racing on. It ain't over till it's over mentality. That is just as important as how hard you can make your bike go.

Re:

Ruudz0r said:
Egan already attacking 11K into the stage (115K to go + later today a MTT).
I guess its not an attack to stay away but rather eliminate some teammates of Janssens and Lambrecht as Bernal only has 2 teammates left in the race.

Lambrecht has only 3 teammates left. One of them is riding on one leg (Hermans) and another (Vanhoucke) has a free role. The only one that is really helping Lambrecht is Inkelaar. So Bernal definitely doesn't need to be afraid from Lotto Soudal. Plus, he's definitely the best climber here. I expect him to win this afternoons stage "easily" and he has also a big chance to win tomorrows stage or at least to control it and win the GC.

EDIT: Rabitsch and Hardy who are in the front group now can be dangerous for the GC though. Their teams are strong.

TRENDING THREADS