• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The official Egan Bernal is the new Egan Bernal thread

Page 21 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Red Rick said:
DNP-Old said:
Red Rick said:
Any final word on if Bernal is riding the men's RR at the WC?
Not as of yet, but we don't know what's being spoken of behind doors. With the way things are developing for both Egan and Ivan Sosa, it makes upgrading a whole lot easier.
Especially for Bernal, who had already done top 15 in Lombardia and was always gonna improve a lot, it wouldn't be understandable to ride the u23. He might tank his best shot at the rainbow jersey in a long, long time.
The thing is that you only have 8 spots to fill and those can't be filled with just leaders. Nairo is a leader, Chavito is a leader, Uran is a leader, Henao is a leader, Superman is a leader, Egan is becoming a leader. That leaves you with just two domestiques. Some of which are even able to win their own races as well. Who are you going to tell that they won't be a leader, or worse, is going to have to watch it on tv? That's a real challenge for Jaramillo. And, tbh, I don't have much faith or confidence in him making it work.

DNP-Old said:
Red Rick said:
DNP-Old said:
Red Rick said:
Not as of yet, but we don't know what's being spoken of behind doors. With the way things are developing for both Egan and Ivan Sosa, it makes upgrading a whole lot easier.
Especially for Bernal, who had already done top 15 in Lombardia and was always gonna improve a lot, it wouldn't be understandable to ride the u23. He might tank his best shot at the rainbow jersey in a long, long time.
The thing is that you only have 8 spots to fill and those can't be filled with just leaders. Nairo is a leader, Chavito is a leader, Uran is a leader, Henao is a leader, Superman is a leader, Egan is becoming a leader. That leaves you with just two domestiques. Some of which are even able to win their own races as well. Who are you going to tell that they won't be a leader, or worse, is going to have to watch it on tv? That's a real challenge for Jaramillo. And, tbh, I don't have much faith or confidence in him making it work.

You can't have 5 leaders. I'd only promise Uran and Quintana and maybe Chaves leadership beforehand.

In any case, they can gamble and join early moves.

Red Rick said:
DNP-Old said:
Red Rick said:
DNP-Old said:
Red Rick said:

You can't have 5 leaders. I'd only promise Uran and Quintana and maybe Chaves leadership beforehand.

I'd only promise it to Uran and Chaves. They have proven they can do well in one day races. Quintana has not and should not be given leadership.

I just read in the other thread that World's is only 7 per country now, which makes it even more difficult. Barring crashes and such, you'll likely have to tell someone who just finished top 5 in a grand tour that he won't be leading. Or, in Checho Henao's case, you'll have to tell the guy with two ntional titles and the best trackrecord in classics that he won't be leading the team that evening. It's a really, really difficult task to manage this correctly.

So while it may not make a lot of sense for Bernal to ride with the U23's because he's way too good for that level, it kind of makes sense at the same time since the team is overloaded with talent on a course that is suited for them all.

Re:

DNP-Old said:
I just read in the other thread that World's is only 7 per country now, which makes it even more difficult. Barring crashes and such, you'll likely have to tell someone who just finished top 5 in a grand tour that he won't be leading. Or, in Checho Henao's case, you'll have to tell the guy with two ntional titles and the best trackrecord in classics that he won't be leading the team that evening. It's a really, really difficult task to manage this correctly.

So while it may not make a lot of sense for Bernal to ride with the U23's because he's way too good for that level, it kind of makes sense at the same time since the team is overloaded with talent on a course that is suited for them all.

He's on a WT team so he's ineligible to ride the U-23 race. Soler ran into that problem in 2015 in Richmond.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Henao surely isn't a leader at this point anyways. Ever since his great win in Paris-Nice he has been super disappointing for some reason.
Henao is the national champion and the guy with the best history in one-day races. He'll also be motivated from top to bottom after his Olympics fiasco two years ago. I for sure wouldn't want the job to tell him that he's getting snubbed.

Koronin said:
DNP-Old said:

He's on a WT team so he's ineligible to ride the U-23 race. Soler ran into that problem in 2015 in Richmond.
World Tour riders are eligible. Kämna finished 2nd in Bergen just last year.

Koronin said:
Red Rick said:
DNP-Old said:
Red Rick said:
DNP-Old said:
[quote="

I'd only promise it to Uran and Chaves. They have proven they can do well in one day races. Quintana has not and should not be given leadership.
Quintana did Milan Torino and Il Lombardia fine last year, getting 4th and 9th, his only races after the Tour. So I think that's enough to assume he'll be better on a way harder route and on top form.

Red Rick said:
Koronin said:
Red Rick said:
Red Rick said:
DNP-Old said:
[quote="

Quintana did Milan Torino and Il Lombardia fine last year, getting 4th and 9th, his only races after the Tour. So I think that's enough to assume he'll be better on a way harder route and on top form.[/quote]

Unlikely he'll be on top form though. His typical one day results are basically no where near the front of the race at the end and typically DNFs which is why it makes no sense that Movistar is talking about sending him to the Ardennes to help Valverde. When they have in the past he's no where to be found when he could actually be useful. Chaves, Uran, and Henao have proven to be much better one day races than Quintana has. Quintana has also proven time and again he has no idea how to read a race, which esp Chaves and Uran are very good at doing.

DNP-Old said:
Koronin said:
DNP-Old said:

Interesting because the Spanish National team said Soler wasn't eligible because he was with Movistar. Wonder if they changed the rules?

Koronin said:
DNP-Old said:
Koronin said:
DNP-Old said:

Interesting because the Spanish National team said Soler wasn't eligible because he was with Movistar. Wonder if they changed the rules?
They changed the rules. 2016 was the first year World Tour riders were allowed.

More information here: http://inrng.com/2015/12/world-tour-pros-u23-race/

Parker said:
Koronin said:
DNP-Old said:
Koronin said:
DNP-Old said:

They changed the rules. 2016 was the first year World Tour riders were allowed.

More information here: http://inrng.com/2015/12/world-tour-pros-u23-race/

Thanks. I wish they'd have changed the rules a year earlier, so Soler could have been in the U-23 race in Richmond so we could have seen him there.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Not many riders can go toe to toe with Valverde in such a stage race, close to none honestly. Amazing performance - I really really hope he recovers soon.

Because almost no one targets this race as a major goal.

Sucks for Bernal, especially because it was caused by that Franco fanboy.

DZI6_eGXkAAwKLR.jpg

El Pistolero said:
Valv.Piti said:
Not many riders can go toe to toe with Valverde in such a stage race, close to none honestly. Amazing performance - I really really hope he recovers soon.

Lool..You don't Valverde that much do you? :D . Any particular reasons why?

Eli said:
El Pistolero said:
Valv.Piti said:

Lool..You don't Valverde that much do you? :D . Any particular reasons why?
Pretty sure he was referring to Rojas.

Valverde on Bernal, the guy has already lots of respect for Bernal. His attacks today on a rather easy climb were amazing:

“It’s really sad to see what happened to Egan. He was again really strong on the circuit today, jumping across to the breaks – I really had to dig deep to follow his wheel and neutralize the attempt. Things just happen where you don’t expect them to do. He’s a talented guy, with lots of future and already some big results to his name – I just hope he recovers well and quickly, as well him as my team-mate José Joaquín.”

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Valverde on Bernal, the guy has already lots of respect for Bernal. His attacks today on a rather easy climb were amazing:

“It’s really sad to see what happened to Egan. He was again really strong on the circuit today, jumping across to the breaks – I really had to dig deep to follow his wheel and neutralize the attempt. Things just happen where you don’t expect them to do. He’s a talented guy, with lots of future and already some big results to his name – I just hope he recovers well and quickly, as well him as my team-mate José Joaquín.”
So much respect he called him Edgar Bernal yesterday . :D

TRENDING THREADS