• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The official Egan Bernal is the new Egan Bernal thread

Page 48 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Squire said:
Valv.Piti said:
On a completely unrelated note, I also love how he climb. The big gear he is pushing and the way he is looking while doing so is pretty pleasing for me to look at. Dont really know why, its the same feeling I have when watching Contador, Klöden or Andy Schleck.
I disagree completely with this. He looks way more laboured than those guys. Don't really think he has that great of a style on the bike, actually.
Nobody looks good on uphill cobbles.

Squire said:
Valv.Piti said:
On a completely unrelated note, I also love how he climb. The big gear he is pushing and the way he is looking while doing so is pretty pleasing for me to look at. Dont really know why, its the same feeling I have when watching Contador, Klöden or Andy Schleck.
I disagree completely with this. He looks way more laboured than those guys. Don't really think he has that great of a style on the bike, actually.
Yes he looks laboured, but I like Valverde's style as well and thats a bit of the same.

SafeBet said:
Vasilis said:
SafeBet said:
Looks ready to smash the Tour :cool:
Maybe, but beating Pozzovivo and Dennis by 23 seconds doesn't prove that I think
Who has looked better than Bernal in these prep races?
Here, no one obviously, that's why he's in the lead, but you can't compare it with the level of the Dauphiné riders for example. Fuglsang was looking good there, but you can't actually compare them head to head. Plus, the Dauphiné had more high profile riders.

Valv.Piti said:
Logic-is-your-friend said:
rick james said:
Juan Pelota said:
Welp Thomas Tour in doubt.

I bet Bernal at +3300 odds to win the Tour a month ago. He's now down to +500.

no it isn't

You're responding to a message of over 2 days ago. Surely there was some doubt right after he dropped out of TDS.
That classic rick james

Im on board with you, I expected a little better. His attack looked amazing, but he stagnated a bit on the last km. Probabably went a bit too deep with that attack. Lets see what he has in store today!

Oh gosh...Why are you doing this? That guy was pure sex on a bike...so classy.
Bernal isn't so smooth but he's okay.
Also, I tip him as the favourite alongside Fuglsang for TdF.
With Froome, Dumoulin, Roglic not riding, Thomas injured(not in optimal form), Quintana looking bad and Nibali coming after Giro this year TdF will be won by a somewhat 2nd tier GT rider.

Salvarani said:
Cance > TheRest said:
Not exactly a stylist on the bike, but he gets the job done. A lot like Sagan in that way.

Huh?

Thats a bad comparison. Sagan is one of the better bike handlers out there and look very "stylish" on the bike. Dont know what you are talking about.
No it is a very good comparison. From an aesthetic point of view Sagan rides with his knees out to the sides, his back is not straight and he often sits somewhat less aerodynamically than he could. This does not change that Sagan looks stylish because he rides fast but he is not a classic stylist from an objective point of view. If Sagan did not ride fast and have the athletic composition that he has, he would look a lot more ridiculous and probably resemble a sunday rider just getting into cycling.

Now, Bernal looks nothing like Sagan but his style on the bike is also not great in itself. It is because he gets the job done that we find that there is a certain charm to his way of riding.

SafeBet said:
Vasilis said:
SafeBet said:
Looks ready to smash the Tour :cool:
Maybe, but beating Pozzovivo and Dennis by 23 seconds doesn't prove that I think
Who has looked better than Bernal in these prep races?
Hard to say if he was better than, say, Buchmann. Bernal didn't put out huge watts, either.

@ammattipyoraily

#TourdeSuisse, Stage 7

SAN GOTTARDO (11.90 km, 7.40 %, 881 m)

Egan Bernal: 34:10*, 20.90 Kph, VAM 1547 m/h, 5.65 W/kg [DrF]

* = Based on Strava files (± 0:05)

https://twitter.com/ammattipyoraily/status/1142106734145736704

Cance > TheRest said:
Salvarani said:
Cance > TheRest said:
Not exactly a stylist on the bike, but he gets the job done. A lot like Sagan in that way.

Huh?

Thats a bad comparison. Sagan is one of the better bike handlers out there and look very "stylish" on the bike. Dont know what you are talking about.
No it is a very good comparison. From an aesthetic point of view Sagan rides with his knees out to the sides, his back is not straight and he often sits somewhat less aerodynamically than he could. This does not change that Sagan looks stylish because he rides fast but he is not a classic stylist from an objective point of view. If Sagan did not ride fast and have the athletic composition that he has, he would look a lot more ridiculous and probably resemble a sunday rider just getting into cycling.

Now, Bernal looks nothing like Sagan but his style on the bike is also not great in itself. It is because he gets the job done that we find that there is a certain charm to his way of riding.

"It is a very good comparison"

"Now, Bernal looks nothing like Sagan..."

Which is it?

Also, I still think you are wrong, so we can agree to disagree.

Salvarani said:
Cance > TheRest said:
Salvarani said:
Cance > TheRest said:

Huh?

Which is it?

If you had cared to read a line further you would understand the comparison

Cance > TheRest said:
Salvarani said:
Cance > TheRest said:
Salvarani said:
Cance > TheRest said:

Huh?

Which is it?

If you had cared to read a line further you would understand the comparison

I read that and I said ”I still think you are wrong” in my last post. If you continued to read.

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
His climbing this race isn't even that special, because the opposition is pretty poor and stayed close.
However, 11th in a pan flat time trial is something else. This guy is gonna be close
Be close to what? Win the Tour?

But nah, his climbing hasnt been special this race, but on the other hand, he has only went with 2-3 km left on both stages. I think he looked much better on Gotthard which is a climb which suits Dennis better for various reasons, and then today he showed why he is a special talent. Seemed he got better each today.

Hate to burst bubbles of hope (mine included), but it looks like Geraint Thomas is feeling pretty good and getting in some solid training. Because it's Ineos, I expect their man G (a Brit) will be the clear team leader and will scoop up another easy TDF GC win, with Bernal riding in support as a super dom (again).

JosephK said:
Hate to burst bubbles of hope (mine included), but it looks like Geraint Thomas is feeling pretty good and getting in some solid training. Because it's Ineos, I expect their man G (a Brit) will be the clear team leader and will scoop up another easy TDF GC win, with Bernal riding in support as a super dom (again).

how dare a british team try and win with a british rider...f*cking anglo saxons

but in reality if Bernal is stronger then the team will ride for him

TRENDING THREADS