• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The official Egan Bernal is the new Egan Bernal thread

Page 51 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

perico said:
So let's play a hypothetical game...

Say Bernal wins the TdF, and Froome comes back next year. Will that mean Bernal will have to take a backseat to Froome's desire to win another TdF, or would Froome's settle for being the second guy???

Before Ineos even consider doing such thing, Froome would have to prove that he can win the Tour again. How would he do that before next year’s Tour? I think the best he could hope for in that situation is to be allowed a free role where he could become an option for GC if necessary. But even that would be kind of a stretch IMO.

Re:

perico said:
So let's play a hypothetical game...

Say Bernal wins the TdF, and Froome comes back next year. Will that mean Bernal will have to take a backseat to Froome's desire to win another TdF, or would Froome's settle for being the second guy???
I think they might go Giro/Tour with Bernal and having them be co leaders in the Tour. If Froome doesn't come back to level, obviously Bernal is the main man for the Tour.

There's a lot of 'if's' in this equation....all i'd say is that historically Sky/Ineos have been purely focused on results when it comes to the TDF, so i think they would back whichever option gave them the best chances of success at the time, based on form not sentiment or reputation.

I assume that comment was directed at my comment. I wasn’t being critical of him, but making an observation. His comments after the stage seem to back up that reality (co-leader in name only). If he’s a true co-leader it’s not clear why he’s taking direction from G. The car, sure, but G giving permission smacks of domestique. I know he’s young but at some point he has to develop his own tactical nous.

"On the last two climbs we rode a really hard pace, in the final kilometres we were going full gas. Before, G told me I could follow the moves and said ‘you can do your own race’.

“He said it’s better for us if we have two cards to play. Maybe if I follow Pinot and the other guys and if I am in their wheel, maybe they can’t continue [at the same pace]. I think the final was good though.

“I lost time in the TT and it changed nothing, yesterday he lost some time and it changed nothing and today again I moved closer. We have good communication between us, he’s really honest and I am too. If I am going full gas at some point in the race for sure I will talk with him.

“We need to win the race for Team INEOS, it’s not about Geraint or Egan, it is always about the team.”

I think Egan is beyond his years, he comes across as super intelligent, down to earth and a very well balanced personality. He seems like a formidable teammate, but you're right, he isn't riding and acting like a de facto co-leader. Maybe he will do that in the Alps when we know have seen Thomas lose a decent amount for a second day in a row.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
I think Egan is beyond his years, he comes across as super intelligent, down to earth and a very well balanced personality. He seems like a formidable teammate, but you're right, he isn't riding and acting like a de facto co-leader. Maybe he will do that in the Alps when we know have seen Thomas lose a decent amount for a second day in a row.
This seems pretty accurate.

I don't think he'll win, but I think he'll surpass 'G' unless there's a major turn in form.

Re: Re:

Red Rick said:
Singer01 said:
He is doing fantastic for a 22 year old. Any criticism of him is absurd.
I dunno

People also speculated he'd have won the Giro or would fly away from everyone in this Tour.

He's doing well, but not living up to some of the hype I've seen. But then again the entire team seems a little off

Hype is stupid if it's not just for fun. Bernal is doing fine and in line with realistic expectations. He seems to me the only one who can rival Pinot from a good position in GC. Ineos should let him take the initiative on the mountains that are left.

Red Rick said:
Singer01 said:
I dunno

People also speculated he'd have won the Giro or would fly away from everyone in this Tour.

He's doing well, but not living up to some of the hype I've seen. But then again the entire team seems a little off

He’s 22 years old. How isn’t he living up to the hype?

Moviefan1203 said:
Red Rick said:
Singer01 said:
I dunno

Red Rick said:
Moviefan1203 said:
Red Rick said:
Singer01 said:
I dunno

I think he would have had a real chance to win the Giro, but did anyone realistically believe he would dance away from everyone in the Tour? He’s going as I expected for a super talented 22 year old kid. Fighting for a podium spot.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:

I agree that he comes across as a smart guy. He is playing the situation right too. He has a long future at Ineos to consider. He expects to be their number one leader for many years to come. He is the last guy who gains by undermining the team’s very strong tradition of hierarchy and extreme dislike of having its riders directly attack each other. Thomas has shown some weakness. There is a very good chance that Bernal becomes the main leader without having to cause internal ructions. As long as he isn’t being ordered to actually sacrifice his own chance or pace Thomas, there is no harm in him looking like a team player, properly respectful to a teammate who is the Tour champion etc.

Escarabajo said:
yaco said:
Bernal is doing what I expected and maybe a touch better - Basque Country stage race showed me he's not ready to win a GT yet, though next year may be a different story.
Well it didn't show me either because he didn't ride that race.

I presume the poster meant Catalunya?

He’s doing well, the white jersey looks his and he’s right in the mix for a podium or possibly more on his first GT given a free role.

Escarabajo said:
yaco said:
Bernal is doing what I expected and maybe a touch better - Basque Country stage race showed me he's not ready to win a GT yet, though next year may be a different story.

Yes - I meant Catalunya - IMO that was his key result from a stage race in 2019 - And Bernal being injured and missing the Giro has held him back.

yaco said:
Escarabajo said:
yaco said:

Yes - I meant Catalunya - IMO that was his key result from a stage race in 2019 - And Bernal being injured and missing the Giro has held him back.

Why was not winning Catalunya more key than winning Paris-Nice and Tour de Suisse?