• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The official Egan Bernal is the new Egan Bernal thread

Page 52 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
I think Egan is beyond his years, he comes across as super intelligent, down to earth and a very well balanced personality. He seems like a formidable teammate, but you're right, he isn't riding and acting like a de facto co-leader. Maybe he will do that in the Alps when we know have seen Thomas lose a decent amount for a second day in a row.

Jonathan Vaughters was on Eurosport yesterday during the race. He commented that Egan and Dani Martinez have the same coach. The coach said that Egan has the brains and Dani the brawn.

Bernal has a chance to win the Tour. Just 12 seconds back of the strongest climber in the first two weeks, he may have even been slightly conservative to this point. At 22, can he reach greatest relative strength in week 3?

Edit: Although another way of looking at it is: If it weren't for stage 10, Bernal would be 1:52 behind Pinot coming into the final 6 stages.

JosephK said:
Bernal has a chance to win the Tour. Just 12 seconds back of the strongest climber in the first two weeks, he may have even been slightly conservative to this point. At 22, can he reach greatest relative strength in week 3?

Edit: Although another way of looking at it is: If it weren't for stage 10, Bernal would be 1:52 behind Pinot coming into the final 6 stages.

He is no where the best climber in the race. He’s still a good 30 seconds to a minute behind Pinot on the longer climbs. Thomas is not strong enough to act as a decoy.

thehog said:
JosephK said:

He is no where the best climber in the race. He’s still a good 30 seconds to a minute behind Pinot on the longer climbs. Thomas is not strong enough to act as a decoy.

I would love for this to hold true through to Paris.

thehog said:
JosephK said:

I think you're misreading Joseph's post. He says that Bernal is 12s back of the strongest climber (which i think everyone agrees is Pinot), not that Bernal is the strongest climber.

Re: Re:

Savant12 said:
Valv.Piti said:
I think Egan is beyond his years, he comes across as super intelligent, down to earth and a very well balanced personality. He seems like a formidable teammate, but you're right, he isn't riding and acting like a de facto co-leader. Maybe he will do that in the Alps when we know have seen Thomas lose a decent amount for a second day in a row.

Jonathan Vaughters was on Eurosport yesterday during the race. He commented that Egan and Dani Martinez have the same coach. The coach said that Egan has the brains and Dani the brawn.
He said Egan is stronger in the head but Dani has the stronger body. A minor distinction, I know. Anyway, I found that rather interesting.

JosephK said:

If you want to gauge the climbing, I'd make that 54" if you take out the TTs and bonus seconds as well as Stage 10, 26" of which on the Pyrenees.

If I did my research right he is the youngest rider on course. How he is going to fare in the third week is anyone's guess. Same applies to Pinot, TBH. Same applies to Thomas, as well. He had a great finish to last year's race but few others on record. And Buchmann. The only rider I think we have a good gauge on is Stevie K, who most will hold it together fairly well, at least form-wise.

Re: Re:

ppanther92 said:
Escarabajo said:
He went too late.
Maybe waiting for team orders.

But he distanced Alaphilippe 45s on less than 1.5km. The 1:30 should be doable. And Pinot/Kruijswijk don't look like they can attack him.
I mean, sure, it's doable. Doesn't mean Alaphilippe will simply drop himself out of contention, which is what many riders seem to be counting on. Furthermore, this assumes that Bernal won't feel worse tomorrow and Alaphilippe won't feel better.

Today they could have eliminated Alaphilippe for good, and they didn't. In my experience, there's a good chance many riders will regret that. Bernal could well be one of them, although some others are even more likely candidates.

TRENDING THREADS