• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The official Egan Bernal is the new Egan Bernal thread

Page 66 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
So Pinot is your example? really?
LOL so hard!!!
Maybe you don't see it but Pinot is riding with a pistol behind his back!
Tibo clearly rides with his pistol in front

8a070e46af13710fe77ac0eb418820196f3762d1.jpg

The question is still out there. Bernal looked bad, lost some time and then looked like Bernal last year with a small attack (prior to stage 15). Now, I'm going to assume that he was hurting and just gave it a try? Or felt fine... But which.

I think people are exaggerating Bernal's failure this year, especially when saying he'll hardly ever win a GT again.

He's 23, he *** up this year, his team *** up this year also (at least when it comes to the TDF). But there were uncommon circumstances, both internal (Portal's death mainly) and external (all the covid situation and its toll on riders).

Reactions: Tonton
To clarify then. The only time Bernal attacked in the race after falling out of contention. Does that help jog your memory?

Care to have a stab at either question or shall I assume that you cant think of an answer and my point is valid?
I don't remember seeing Bernal Attacking...Pinot, yes, briefly, after losing so much time that he may have thought that he could be in a break and beat lesser riders for a stage win. As he stated, Tibo hurts too much to sustain efforts, and that's what happened: he was soon unable to follow the fast tempo. But he tried. And Bernal could have stayed in the race, done the same, probably with the same outcome. Both, I believe, didn't play games and try to get the media to influence their respective teams. Pinot said that he suffered day 2, 3, 4...17. Bernal may have first felt discomfort and it got worse and worse day after day, back injuries can do that.

I think you're misguided.

Reactions: Pricey_sky
I think people are exaggerating Bernal's failure this year, especially when saying he'll hardly ever win a GT again.

He's 23, he * up this year, his team * up this year also (at least when it comes to the TDF). But there were uncommon circumstances, both internal (Portal's death mainly) and external (all the covid situation and its toll on riders).
I agree, but that's how it always goes. Hinault DNF in '80 with a knee injury, some called him soft and overrated. Weeks after his mythic LBL win...go figure...

Reactions: Escarabajo
In my opinion they will send him to the Vuelta with a high certainty. Why I say that. Because they need to find out and prove what went wrong with him. They might know by know, but the only way to prove it is to send him to the Vuelta and see his performance. There is no way that they will go to the 2021 year without making sure of what happened to him at the Tour.

Now it will be Carapaz, Egan and Froome. Yesterday in the Colombian media I was reading that Egan and Carapaz want to go to the Vuelta.

In my opinion they will send him to the Vuelta with a high certainty. Why I say that. Because they need to find out and prove what went wrong with him. They might know by know, but the only way to prove it is to send him to the Vuelta and see his performance. There is no way that they will go to the 2021 year without making sure of what happened to him at the Tour.

Now it will be Carapaz, Egan and Froome. Yesterday in the Colombian media I was reading that Egan and Carapaz want to go to the Vuelta.

I could be wrong, but I'd give him the rest of the season off as far as racing is concerned. Refresh, physically and mentally, and go again in 2021.

Egan will be back as at least a GT podium contender in the coming years, I am pretty sure.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Unless he faked injury to get out of a Tour he wasn't winning, he probably shouldn't do the Vuelta.

But I think the overreactions on Bernal in the last 2 years have been comical. He's broken the speedrun record from "will win the next 7 Tours" to "Will never win GT again"

In my opinion, people were a bit too high him last year primarily because they ignored the context. Especially ignoring no pure climber has won the Tour multiple times since I don't even know who if at all. And now people are overreacting in the negative sense. He's one of the best climbers in the world on one of the richest teams in the world. He'll be fine. If there's problems for him in the next years, they'll mainly have the names of Tadej Pogacar and Remco Evenepoel. Best case scenario for him is that he's up to that standard himself. Worst case scenario he's still a podium fixture who won his first Tour with godly timing.

What do you think about his health problems and what they mean for his future?
Does not sound like they have it under control, yet. Will it derail his entire career? That would be such a pity.
If it was mostly caused by the sudden change of intensity and riding after the lockdown, I would have thought it's easier to make it alright with a team full of expert physios and doctors. :(

I have the same questions as you do BlueRoads.
It looks like it is still an issue in his life. However, the first thing in solving a problem is knowing that you have a problem. Let's hope for the best this year because we all want to see him at his best fighting against the other GC contenders.

On an additional note, he says that he always had pain there. He could have aggravated the problem with the odd year training and the high competition at the Tour.

Back problems are a real ... pain. As I get older I get more and more twinges and spasms in my lower back, and I when it gets bad I cannot literally get out of bed. The idea of riding a bicycle...no way. Luckily it only happens 2-3x a year. I could easily see how bad biomechanics could lead to disc problems. Hope he can get it fixed somehow as he was such a quality rider in 2018/19.

On that form, I rank him equal with Roglic and Pogacar, and above Carapaz, as GC contenders. Although if pressed I might say that Roglic and Carapaz are equal, team strength aside.

Unless he faked injury to get out of a Tour he wasn't winning, he probably shouldn't do the Vuelta.

But I think the overreactions on Bernal in the last 2 years have been comical. He's broken the speedrun record from "will win the next 7 Tours" to "Will never win GT again"

In my opinion, people were a bit too high him last year primarily because they ignored the context. Especially ignoring no pure climber has won the Tour multiple times since I don't even know who if at all. And now people are overreacting in the negative sense. He's one of the best climbers in the world on one of the richest teams in the world. He'll be fine. If there's problems for him in the next years, they'll mainly have the names of Tadej Pogacar and Remco Evenepoel. Best case scenario for him is that he's up to that standard himself. Worst case scenario he's still a podium fixture who won his first Tour with godly timing.

Agreed. Bernal will most likely be one of the best climbers of the current decade capable of winning multiple GTs. However, he may find it hard to beat other prodigies from his generation: guys like Pogacar (and possibly Evenepoel) excelling in both mountains and TTs.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Back problems are a real ... pain. As I get older I get more and more twinges and spasms in my lower back, and I when it gets bad I cannot literally get out of bed. The idea of riding a bicycle...no way. Luckily it only happens 2-3x a year. I could easily see how bad biomechanics could lead to disc problems. Hope he can get it fixed somehow as he was such a quality rider in 2018/19.

On that form, I rank him equal with Roglic and Pogacar, and above Carapaz, as GC contenders. Although if pressed I might say that Roglic and Carapaz are equal, team strength aside.
It’s hard to know how to evaluate Bernal’s issues and how fixable it is. As you can tell by my forum name, it’s long been a big problem for me. I could still ride long distances with the back pain (though I was wrecked afterwards), but the sciatic nerve pain not only takes the joy out it but also leaves measurable weakness in that leg. I’m not trying to compare my riding to what elite riders put their bodies through, just saying that everyone’s back issues are different.
We do see cases where a top athlete has terrible back problems but comes back as good as before. Randy Johnson became the best pitcher in baseball after he had back surgery and all the physio that went with it. I thought he was done, given how wrenching throwing as hard as he did would be on his spine. So it would be silly to somehow write off Bernal before he’s had a chance to deal with the problem.

Totally agree on the biomechanics. The kind of injury that kills young careers most often is a product of coaching an extreme position, accent on the aero. Young riders frequently focus on the same cycling training to build mature levels of endurance and don't cross-train enough to have resilient core strength. Once those discs get bulged it's tough to go back to normal. This is where Tadej is impressive as a contrast and has a very neutral position that is versatile in where he gets his power. He's not unique but his style may be better built for the long haul.

TRENDING THREADS