• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The official Egan Bernal is the new Egan Bernal thread

Page 71 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Just wasted some time reading through 10 pages of 12-year/old forum posts, but this almost made it worth it. One because Contador was indeed a genius and two because it’s always interesting to see the “phenom” coronations and predictions and then to look back and think what could have been. If not for Froome, if not for Bernal, if not for Pogagcar, if not for Remco, if not for _.
I'm pretty sure Bruyneel wrote something along the lines of talking to Armstrong and it was like

"You think you're gonna beat Contador"
"Yes"
"Lmao"

Bruyneel knew Contador could tear Armstrong a new one

For sure he will try when the opportunity arises: it doesn't fatigue him if he attacks in the last K and knows he has the legs to follow anyone that would be able to counter (if that would happen). So he will for sure attack in the last K towards Montalcino. He has the pink, so he better has it firmly so he can ride as he wants in the high mountains (defensively, offensively,...).

You never know if you feel better or worse in that 3rd week.

This pink is somehow too easy and too early, I'm afraid.
Why? He has the strongest team in the race. Ganna can choo choo for hundreds kms from here to Milan. Moscon has incredible legs and they have yet to use Dani Martinez, who is possibly a top10 climber in this field.

Montalcino is perfect for Ineos if they want to put the hammer down early. There is virtually no flat or easy section after the sterrato sectors start.

Why? He has the strongest team in the race. Ganna can choo choo for hundreds kms from here to Milan. Moscon has incredible legs and they have yet to use Dani Martinez, who is possibly a top10 climber in this field.

Montalcino is perfect for Ineos if they want to put the hammer down early. There is virtually no flat or easy section after the sterrato sectors start.
This is the point - I don't think so. Last Thursday (I'im not sure) Ganna worked amazing till last 5 km, then Castro for ca 1000 m, then DQS boys were obious better..! And quickly Martinez had to attack for 500 m, then Bernal went.
Absolutely not as strong as Sky in the previous years or JV in 2020 TdF.

This pink is somehow too easy and too early, I'm afraid.
He's been through this before and his team should know how to manage the next half of the race. The weather has been nasty and testing for the first 9 stages so the fatigue level, particularly on newer riders has got to be amplified. He applied the perfect amount of effort today and it paid off and managing fatigue will be paramount. I like his maturity and he has to be very, very motivated after the last GTs.

TRENDING THREADS