• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The official Egan Bernal is the new Egan Bernal thread

Page 89 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Bernal back in Rome:

Bernal with the Pope: "I gave him a bike and a pink jersey"
The winner of the Giro was received, together with his girlfriend, by Papa Francesco.
"He asked me how many coffees I take"

Clipboard.jpg

I see Bertie is interested too, but Egan is clearly trying to get rid of those rim brake old Pinarellos, as the team is busy taking new f14 db to the Tour and so he's trying to sell it to the Pope. But Pope's not buying it. And by saying that I mean he's not buying the idea of rim brakes, good heavens, no discs? :innocent:

Am I overreacting in worrying that his back issues are still bigger than we thought after the Giro?
Was listening to the Lanterne Rouge podcast who buys the ASO highlight packages of the stages and he mentioned that Bernal visibly winced when sitting down for the post stage interview. He also hasn't gotten out of the saddle once so far this Vuelta - and now that I think of it, did he ever get out of the saddle in the third Giro week (after wrecking everyone with his punches in the first two weeks)?
The whole communication from Ineos and him before this Vuelta is also a bit strange. Surely after winning the Giro you normally have an ideal recovery and training period to be in top shape at the Vuelta, they've been weirdly vague in why exactly his form has to be downplayed. Like I understand that he might've just enjoyed himself after achieving his goal for the season and this is just an out of form bonus - but they can be straight about that, like Pidcock who flat out said he's not in form. Alternatively, if Covid is the reason, they could also say that.
But all this "let's see how the legs are", "hoping not to lose much time" stuff makes me think something else is off. It wouldn't surprise me if his back started the season fine with him being good at short stage and one day races like Provence and Strade but then at Tirreno something went wrong and his back issues were back so they played it super safe for the Giro - which worked out well but he went over his limits and still hasn't recovered from that. Or is that too much conspiracy thinking?

Am I overreacting in worrying that his back issues are still bigger than we thought after the Giro?
Was listening to the Lanterne Rouge podcast who buys the ASO highlight packages of the stages and he mentioned that Bernal visibly winced when sitting down for the post stage interview. He also hasn't gotten out of the saddle once so far this Vuelta - and now that I think of it, did he ever get out of the saddle in the third Giro week (after wrecking everyone with his punches in the first two weeks)?
The whole communication from Ineos and him before this Vuelta is also a bit strange. Surely after winning the Giro you normally have an ideal recovery and training period to be in top shape at the Vuelta, they've been weirdly vague in why exactly his form has to be downplayed. Like I understand that he might've just enjoyed himself after achieving his goal for the season and this is just an out of form bonus - but they can be straight about that, like Pidcock who flat out said he's not in form. Alternatively, if Covid is the reason, they could also say that.
But all this "let's see how the legs are", "hoping not to lose much time" stuff makes me think something else is off. It wouldn't surprise me if his back started the season fine with him being good at short stage and one day races like Provence and Strade but then at Tirreno something went wrong and his back issues were back so they played it super safe for the Giro - which worked out well but he went over his limits and still hasn't recovered from that. Or is that too much conspiracy thinking?

Bernal had Covid just after the Giro and he only had mild symptoms. He was given all clear to return to training in mid June. I think the bigger issue might have been the Burgos crash.

As someone who has back issues myself I didn't like the way he was moving in the last week of the Giro, some of the shots of him walking after the stages were painful to see. That moment when, after following a bunch of stop-start attacks he was suddenly gone and suffering to me looked like he had tweaked something or had a spasm, even if it was later explained as going into the red/bonking in various media pieces (perhaps more about not admitting the extent of the problem to competitors). It wasn't a suprise to see how he handled the rest of the Giro, just following Martinez at a constant pace rather than going with any sudden accelerations.

If it's true that he has scoliosis (in his case with a leg-length differential too, apparently) then anyone who has had a similar diagnosis can probably guess at what he's been advised: work on core strength, focus on retaining what mobility he still has. Of course the "nuclear" option is spinal fusion of a couple of vertebrae which provides stability at the cost of a permanent loss of some movement, which is what Tiger Woods eventually had but I doubt that's on the table at this point - or what impact it would have on a pro cyclist. I'd assume that he will have to manage this for the rest of his career and it will always hamper him to some extent, sadly, with some periods allowing better performance than others.

Last edited:
As someone who has back issues myself I didn't like the way he was moving in the last week of the Giro, some of the shots of him walking after the stages was painful to see. That moment when, after following a bunch of stop-start attacks he was suddenly gone and suffering to me looked like he had tweaked something or had a spasm, even if it was later explained as going into the red/bonking in various media pieces (perhaps more about not admitting the extent of the problem to competitors). It wasn't a suprise to see how he handled the rest of the Giro, just following Martinez at a constant pace rather than going with any sudden accelerations.

If it's true that he has scoliosis (in his case with a leg-length differential too, apparently) then anyone who has had a similar diagnosis can probably guess at what he's been advised: work on core strength, focus on retaining what mobility he still has. Of course the "nuclear" option is spinal fusion of a couple of vertebrae which provides stability at the cost of a permanent loss of some movement, which is what Tiger Woods eventually had but I doubt that's on the table at this point - or what impact it would have on a pro cyclist. I'd assume that he will have to manage this for the rest of his career and it will always hamper him to some extent, sadly, with some periods allowing better performance than others.

I'm giving you a like for the explanation, but it's actually quite sad because it'very convincing.

Do you think Bernal shouldn't have disclosed he was at a 100% of his form, as he did 2 days ago?
Since then , he basically could have had a message in his forehead saying "Go a ahead y'all and attack me , I won't be able to respond"

Or do you think saying that was irrelevant...
imagen.png

Last edited:
Reactions: SHAD0W93

One point of contention: Bernal climbed out of the saddle on stage 9. After Yates acceleration when Bernal had to close the gap to Mas, Roglic and MAL, he was Definitely out of the saddle.

Do you think Bernal shouldn't have disclosed he was at a 100% of his form, as he did 2 days ago?
Since then , he basically could have had a message in his forehead saying "Go a ahead y'all and attack me , I won't be able to respond"

Or do you think saying that was irrelevant...
imagen.png

I think it was irrelevant. Everyone has seen that he wasn't at his best in the first week, so it's not like he lifted a secret.

Well, I am also hoping that this is just bad form or/and the Borgus crash affecting him, but it not looking good. If it is really his back than the team should consider shutting him down for the season. A lower top 10 finish in the vuelta will not do him any good.

I fear that Bernal will end his career sooner than most of us hope/expect.

• Sad
Reactions: noob
Well, I am also hoping that this is just bad form or/and the Borgus crash affecting him, but it not looking good. If it is really his back than the team should consider shutting him down for the season. A lower top 10 finish in the vuelta will not do him any good.

I fear that Bernal will end his career sooner than most of us hope/expect.

If he does continue then 1 grand tour per year is probably the most sensible approach.

He was in great form at the very beginning of the season and kept it all through the spring and topping it off with winning the Giro.

Then had some time off to recover and train.

He "only" had San Sebastian and Burgos (where he crashed) as prep. Tough to come into the Vuelta and be in great form. Maybe it will get better as the race goes on.

I mean, sometimes you also just have a bad race or bad form. For whatever reason, it happens.

Reactions: Sandisfan
The whole Giro d'Italia field looks sub-par by now. Not just Bernal, but also Vlasov who's an also-ran in this Vuelta a Espana so far!

I wouldn't blame it on Covid-19, but on Bernal not being as good so far. Right now it looks as if he clearly benefited from a mediocre field and a strong team to the jersey. Additionally the route was quite weak by Giro d'Italia standards as well.

Reactions: Carols

TRENDING THREADS