• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The official Egan Bernal is the new Egan Bernal thread

Page 98 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Putting blame on the riders/teams for these incidents is not classy. Scarponi was killed at a junction in the town he lived in on a recovery ride. Froome was doing an obligatory TT course recon. They have no choice but to train on roads that they will encounter in races. Cycling is a skill based sport, not just physiological.

The only issue here is making young cyclists aware of the risks and understanding road safety, but primarily the issue is not the cyclists themselves but who they share the road with.
Cars always win in collisions. With mobile phones it's not safe to train on open roads.

That would be tragic but i think that might be rushing to conclusions so soon after the accident and after the operations. I imagine they're following a "first things first" approach and for the moment that doesn't include pro cycling. It's also an interpretation by a non-medically trained person by the looks of it.

Similar statements were made for Jakobsen and Evenepoel iirc.

That would be tragic but i think that might be rushing to conclusions so soon after the accident and after the operations. I imagine they're following a "first things first" approach and for the moment that doesn't include pro cycling. It's also an interpretation by a non-medically trained person by the looks of it.

Similar statements were made for Jakobsen and Evenepoel iirc.

The tweet was also made before the apparently successful spinal operation this morning.

Major neurological spinal surgery sounds bad. And just like Eddy Jacome from Ciclismo Colombiano said, we should just focus on his health and recovery and forget about the cycling. Really sad news!

Why the hell did the original tweet from yesterday say that he wasn't gravely injured? :(
Because Mundo Ciclistico is always like that. Hector Urrego and his son hate to communicate or publish bad news. Being any subject. They are too optimistic and sometimes want to play the blind role. I read it all the time because they have Colombian cycling news but if you want to go deeper into a problem or scandals you have to read somewhere else.

Looks like the worst case scenario happened. Knee, back, lungs all took a severe hit. Although hip wasn't injured a severe fracture regarding femur can be regarded as being in the same league.

Long recovery ahead for Egan for sure but lets remain positive he will first win this battle and after to return to the peloton to win some more. Likely not in 2022.

As for the blame i would first say that is rather ungrateful thing to do but the team likely shouldn't let Egan train (T)TT in high traffic area. Especially as only a week back they got a hint on why that isn't the best idea.

Holy crap! These injuries sound shocking! I wish him a full recovery, and hope he can defy odds and race again at his highest level :(
It pretty much is the trifecta of recovery items. He'd be best advised to manage the weakest element into recovery gradually or risk serious long-term issues.
I'd target the knee as that link as it will affect any other alignment that's critical. Hours on the trainer....

Looks like the worst case scenario happened. Knee, back, lungs all took a severe hit. Although hip wasn't injured a severe fracture regarding femur can be regarded as being in the same league.

Long recovery ahead for Egan for sure but lets remain positive he will first win this battle and after to return to the peloton to win some more. Likely not in 2022.

As for the blame i would first say that is rather ungrateful thing to do but the team likely shouldn't let Egan train (T)TT in high traffic area. Especially as a week back they got a hint on why that isn't the best idea.
Ultimately Egan and anyone else are PRO riders and they should treat themselves accordingly. Recon in traffic areas is best done in a car since serious efforts are much more dangerous. He owns that responsibility unless his contract requires him to do stupid things at the direction of his DS. If that's the case; it'd be his responsibility to get a new agent and revise the contract but he probably knows that already.

It pretty much is the trifecta of recovery items. He'd be best advised to manage the weakest element into recovery gradually or risk serious long-term issues.
I'd target the knee as that link as it will affect any other alignment that's critical. Hours on the trainer....
Yeah, but fractured vertebrae combines with his preexisting back problems also sounds pretty bad, not to mention the open patella fracture combined with the femur fracture. Sounds like a hard thing to bounce back from as a top athlete...

Ultimately Egan and anyone else are PRO riders and they should treat themselves accordingly. Recon in traffic areas is best done in a car since serious efforts are much more dangerous. He owns that responsibility unless his contract requires him to do stupid things at the direction of his DS. If that's the case; it'd be his responsibility to get a new agent and revise the contract but he probably knows that already.

I don't know all the details involved. Based on all the info provided so far i would say this was a training (T)TT ride.

If that was indeed the case then in my opinion the team is more responsible in this case then Egan. For the outcome and especially as they already got a reminder a week back.

The team basically removed the safety protocols. It was not like Egan was on a solo ride. Being an amateur or pro cyclist you are aware and taught of the fact that taking a TT bike and riding it in high traffic areas is dangerous and should not be attempted.

P.S. Feel free to believe otherwise.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Just read the writeup on the surgery, and wow. Not exactly a news flash, but f*** this is a dangerous sport. I'll take my bumps and bruises on the mountain bike over this kind of stuff.

Wishing him all the best for his recovery. I wonder about the femur fracture, is it compound or a crack? If the latter I don't think it would be a huge deal for his career long-term, but if the former...well that's a long road and maybe a long shot to ever return to form.

Never been a Sky/Ineos fan, but Bernal was, for his character and class, just too dignified not to like. The interviews he has given and the charitable actions he has made for the struggling Colombian community, convey a humble and thoughtful person who is clearly just a good bloke.

This accident should have been avoided, but it's useless to seek blame now, unless criminal negligence is at stake - for example, was the bus parked in a legal spot? Traffic and driving customs in South America are often quite chaotic, for which cycling there can be laden with peril. On the other hand, even such maniacle planning as Ineos is known for was not enough to prevent this terrible accident from happening.

Hopefully Bernal's injuries won't have dramatic consequences for the rest of his career. Fuerza Egan!

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS