• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The official Egan Bernal is the new Egan Bernal thread

Page 113 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Ciro Scognamiglio (la gazzetta) reporting that Bernal has finished his season at the Coppa Sabatini.

He did not start memorial Pantani, and the plan as we know was the Tour of Croatia and then Lombardia. But now Bernal is apparently heading back to Colombia for a necessary operation on his Patella tendon, before some rest and building towards 2023.
Nobody started memorial Pantani. Cancelled due to showers. Nibs would have won if they didn't girl out of it.

May I ask what you base your opinion on?
Being born at 8,600 feet above sea level can have its advantages.

Its not a given but Bernal gave strong hints at the 2019 TdF. The shortened stage 19 he was untouchable the higher the roads went, he just rode away from Geraint Thomas on Col de l'Iseran. That day was just as sir fly described - the longer the effort, the wider the gap.

On Pogacar, in 2020 TdF he lost 15 seconds to Roglic on the summit of Col de la Loze (2,304metres). That stage was won by another Colombian - MAL. It is only one example but it did raise question marks.

But I haven't seen enough of Vingegaard at high altitude to form an opinion on him in that terrain. People can point to stage 11 in 2022 TdF but I think the outcome was due to Jumbo's great teamwork and Pog blowing himself up - not the altitude?

Everyone responds differently to altitude it is difficult to predict until it actually happens. But even if Egan gets back racing I think there are still question marks on his back condition?

Its not a given but Bernal gave strong hints at the 2019 TdF. The shortened stage 19 he was untouchable the higher the roads went, he just rode away from Geraint Thomas on Col de l'Iseran. That day was just as sir fly described - the longer the effort, the wider the gap.

On Pogacar, in 2020 TdF he lost 15 seconds to Roglic on the summit of Col de la Loze (2,304metres). That stage was won by another Colombian - MAL. It is only one example but it did raise question marks.

But I haven't seen enough of Vingegaard at high altitude to form an opinion on him in that terrain. People can point to stage 11 in 2022 TdF but I think the outcome was due to Jumbo's great teamwork and Pog blowing himself up - not the altitude?

Everyone responds differently to altitude it is difficult to predict until it actually happens. But even if Egan gets back racing I think there are still question marks on his back condition?
Don't forget the Giro exploits.

I agree with your examples, however, as other people in this forum, I don't think that altitude is the magic wand that will turn a rider significantly better or worse, except for a selected few (name Valverde and perhaps Lopez).
I think it's mostly down to climbing ability and I'm not convinced that Bernal at his best is in Vingegaard's league. With Pogacar I think is more about the really long efforts (see even Ventoux as a notable example) that huts him, not the altitude that much. Put him in the Dolomites stage next year and he is my favorite to win it.

I don't think that altitude is the magic wand

It isn't which is why I said "Its not a given ". But I am less certain how Bernal's back will hold up over a three week grand tour. Even with a full season of racing we won't know until it actually happens - neither will he. But in the meantime I hope we can see him make a successful return to racing.

It isn't which is why I said "Its not a given ". But I am less certain how Bernal's back will hold up over a three week grand tour. Even with a full season of racing we won't know until it actually happens - neither will he. But in the meantime I hope we can see him make a successful return to racing.

Is his back the main problem, I thought his recent injuries were different?
I suspect even one week races would give a how whether he can be back or not, but I certainly hope he comes back to his best.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Is his back the main problem, I thought his recent injuries were different?
I suspect even one week races would give a how whether he can be back or not, but I certainly hope he comes back to his best.
I don't think his back fragility reveals itself in one day or even week long stage races. It is a condition that reveals itself on the grind of three week grand tours. Edit: He cracked on stage 15 of 2020 TdF and nobody expected that with the preceding season of racing from him.

TRENDING THREADS