• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The official Great Bauke Mollema thread

Page 29 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Jagartrott said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
He was feeling good up until the fall. He says the chase cost a lot of energy. And he basically blew himself up on the steep beginning of the climb trying to come back. Because of that he was 'bad' on the remainder of the climb. Even on a good day you can blow yourself up
He said he was trying to get back to the group as fast as possible, but that seems like a bad idea in any situation - and especially with a 10 km, 8% climb on the menu. Of course he should have had team mates up there to help him, but Trek is poor. WTF is Schleck doing there still anyway? Porte even still had GVA on that last descent. And Trek also put no-one in the break I think - really clueless, these guys.

He had Zubeldia and Stetina with him after his crash until Zubeldia missed a corner.

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Heroic effort today. Dropped 5 times during the stage. But still managed to be more aggressive than Quintana

Yes. I'm really annoyed about his final GC position, but I still think that this was his best race since his Tour of Poland stage win as a kid. He showed his best ever form, but he also showed his best ever attitude. The first time he attacked Froome and Quintana on Arcalis along with his almost easy looking bridge to Froome and Porte on Ventoux will hopefully be career changing moments. Both occasions meant that he showed not only the ability to physically compete with the very top guys, but also the belief that he could do so.

I want to see him use this new level and new self-belief to start winning more races.

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Heroic effort today. Dropped 5 times during the stage. But still managed to be more aggressive than Quintana

Qintana making the podium just make me shake my head when I see what happened to Porte and Mollema. I suppose luck cuts both ways. Even Yates deserved a podium more. I knew as soon as I heard the weather forecast that the race would be turned upside down but I suppose if you are an Aru fan or a TJVG fan it only gets worse ! Bardet almost came down when he attacked, if it was Porte or Mollema they would have been on the ground for sure. And Froome could have quite easily broken a collarbone in his fall. The nightmare scenario would be if Quintana had won !

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Finally back to his attacking self he used to do when he was just becoming a pro

Maybe it had to do with his mononucleosis earlier in his career that it took so long

Maybe it is because a new team leader is coming on board and he got really motivated to prove himself again! Whatever it was Good Job Bauke!

His face seemed quite indifferent quite indifferent when crossing the finish line but I guess that's just his "try to not show the pain" face. Well deserved win anyway, the only one with the guts and perhaps also strength to attack immediatley after the top!

Great win and a huge leap forward for his palmares. San Sebastian is on a completely different level to his biggest previous race wins (Tour of Alberta and Japan Cup). And he did it by attacking too.

He's like a new rider since those first couple of attacks on Arcalis. This is the rider he was supposed to develop into, not the Zubeldia clone he seemed to be becoming.

The Dutch have some interesting decisions to make about Rio leadership.

Re:

Just the tonic for him after the TdF.

Christian said:
Nice win for Mollema! I hope he can do the Vuelta next year instead of the Tour, it would be exciting to see what he can do

I don't see any chance of that. He had 2nd at TdF in the palm of his hand with little or no team support in the mountains. Next season he'll probably have a co-leader which may increase his chances further as there will probably be resources at Trek focussing on GC support as a result. His lack of reaction at winning today is probably a sign of how strong his determination to right the wrong of this years TdF.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Zinoviev Letter said:
Great win and a huge leap forward for his palmares. San Sebastian is on a completely different level to his biggest previous race wins (Tour of Alberta and Japan Cup). And he did it by attacking too.

He's like a new rider since those first couple of attacks on Arcalis. This is the rider he was supposed to develop into, not the Zubeldia clone he seemed to be becoming.

The Dutch have some interesting decisions to make about Rio leadership.

I'm pretty sure he rates his Vuelta stage win higher than the Tour of fricking Alberta and Japan Cup, lol.

Piet Allegaert made a diary on his Tour of Alberta as Stagiair for Trek including a great anecdote about the Great Bauke Mollema (in the Krant van West-Vlaanderen on 9 September)

“Mollema Won and Drank Green Tea, the Rest Ordered a Beer”

237087BAUKEMOLLEMAKVV20160909.png

665044BAUKEMOLLEMAKVV201609092.png

Piet Allegaert is third year U23 and stagiair with Trek Segafredo and could start the Tour of Alberta along with, among others, the Great Bauke Mollema.

On Thursday 25 August he flew off to Chicago alone because Stijn Devolder was sick and only made the trip later on. Then it was 2.5 hours driving to the hotel.

On Friday 26 August they rode 2.5 hours on the bike to the Trek seat in Waterloo, Wisconsin. [It’s a coincidence that Wout Van Aert and riders of the Telenet-Fidea team have also recently been in Waterloo, Wisconsin at the moment visiting the Trek seat, hmm and this being said, Wout is not racing on a Trek bike ???][I didn’t know that there was a town called Waterloo in Wisconsin, I know that a lot of Belgians migrated to Green Bay, Wisconsin in the 1850’s and many town names echo Belgian town names but I’ve never heard of Waterloo]. Then they took the bus to Madison.

On Saturday 27 August Gran Fondo through Wisconsin; 280km over one straight road with hills like in France. They rode the first 170km and then were taken back to Chicago and to spend the night there.

On Sunday 28 No training, 4 hour flight to Calgary followed by a 45’ flight to Lethbridge.

On Monday 29 brought by car to Waterton National Park where they trained for 4 hours in the Canadian Rockies. That was really mountainous.

On Tuesday 30 brought by car to Glacier National Park for another 4 hour training with a 15km climb. It was breathtakingly beautiful.

The training in the National Parks were two of the most beautiful days of my life.

On Wednesday 31 Team presentation of the Tour of Alberta with [The Great Bauke] Mollema, [Harry] Dondo, his roommate Devolder, Hesjedal, Stetina, Rast & Schleck. The VIP guests were there mainly for eating and had less attention for the riders.

On Thursday 1 September it was Stage 1 of the race. [The Great Bauke] Mollema was along in the good breakaway and for Piet it was also a nice day because it was planned that he could go for his own chance. Even more, the others would support him, which happened. Rast led him out the sprint and he won … for the 12th place but it pleased him. After the end of the stage there was a 3 hour move and they only arrived in their hotel at 0.30. No massage. Straight to bed!

On Friday 2 September Heavy wind and rain, conditions comparable to Brussels-Zepperen, earlier this year. Everybody was benumbed. He could not even put on his gloves. With the team they’ve worked to catch a dangerous 10-man breakaway and he bridged a gap himself alone in the finale. For that reason he couldn’t contend for the win.

On Saturday 3 September was windy again but not enough. There was a two-man breakaway but no danger from the ranking of [the Great Bauke] Mollema. Piet was 15th in the stage ranking which he sure shouldn’t complain about.

On Sunday 4 September there was first a three-hour trip to Edmonton where they had to race a TT. It wasn’t a real good day. He is no TT’er himself and besides he felt the results of the efforts he had made the three days before with systematically a hilly stage at a 45% average speed. Yet they celebrated because [the Great Bauke] Mollema won the ITT and came 2nd in the GC, 1” behind Carpenter. The team allowed them to choose by ourselves what we would drink. Everybody chose a beer but [the Great Bauke] Mollema (wink). He drank green tea. :D

On Monday 5 they did everything to make [the great Bauke] Mollema get back but Robin Carpenter and his team was very strong.

On Tuesday 6 they took a three-hour flight to Montreal and then a 7-hour flight back to Brussels.

On Wednesday 7 he landed in Zaventem Airport at 9am local time. He couldn’t really sleep in the plane, got bored, watched a film and listened to music but he’s glad he could have made this experience. In October he will race the Tour of Abu Dhabi [unfortunately] with Trek too. On Friday 9 he raced the Tour of Moselle for the Quick Step development team but he claimed that the jetlag was still clearly in his legs. [well normally you recover quite fast from jetlags]

Nice to see the Great One add another stage race to his palmares. He has finally learnt the knack of turning strong placings into actual wins, starting about a year and a half ago with the Tour of Alberta. He used to be a very frustrating rider to cheer for, but now that he reliably wins a couple of races every year it's a much more pleasant experience.

TRENDING THREADS