• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The official Great Bauke Mollema thread

Page 30 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Fantastic ride, very happy for him. A second stage is a real possibility. I prefer him in this mode than as a GC rider, but the economics of the sport dictate that if you can ride GC, you ride GC.

I'm curious about his status in the team next year. He was (perfectly understandably) second fiddle to Contador in this year's plans, but will that change?

Re:

Zinoviev Letter said:
Fantastic ride, very happy for him. A second stage is a real possibility. I prefer him in this mode than as a GC rider, but the economics of the sport dictate that if you can ride GC, you ride GC.

I'm curious about his status in the team next year. He was (perfectly understandably) second fiddle to Contador in this year's plans, but will that change?
He said he'll lead Trek's GC ambitions in Le Tour 2018.

He certainly wants to prove that he's better than 6-10 on GC.

Re:

Zinoviev Letter said:

To be honest, I don't see him win another stage. There are only two options left that I can see (17 & 18) and he hasn't been climbing well enough to win either.

Next year, he will be allowed to go for GC in his beloved TDF again, hanging on at the back of the favorites group to finish in the lower regions of the top-10. IMO, what he did today is far better than any of his TDF GC results!

Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Zinoviev Letter said:

To be honest, I don't see him win another stage. There are only two options left that I can see (17 & 18) and he hasn't been climbing well enough to win either.

Next year, he will be allowed to go for GC in his beloved TDF again, hanging on at the back of the favorites group to finish in the lower regions of the top-10. IMO, what he did today is far better than any of his TDF GC results!

I certainly agree with your last point. To be fair to Mollema, he has started to convert his strong performances into occasional victories and now has a palmares a bit more commensurate with his abilities than he had a few years ago. But I hate the way that minor place riding is so strongly incentivised by the sport's structure and Mollema is a prime exhibit on that score.

LaFlorecita said:
Zinoviev Letter said:

To be fair he was doing really well last year until his crash.

Jul 14, 2015
Visit site

Kwibus said:
LaFlorecita said:
Zinoviev Letter said:

To be fair he was doing really well last year until his crash.

This, 100%. He could have gotten a fantastic GC result last year if he hadn't crashed. It shows he is able to compete for Top 5 is he's at his absolute best.

Re:

Zinoviev Letter said:
Great win for Mollema today. He is so much better as an attacking rider.

He seems to have found a niche as a hilly classics and grand tour stagehunter.

Trek will get more bang for their buck if they let him ride 2 grand tours next year as a stage hunter deluxe rather than wasting nervous energy trying to cling on for an 8th on GC without really shining on any individual stage.

Like I said before the whole 'mollema 3rd week' thing is a myth of epic proportions. 3 of the 4 times he had it happened it was because of a crash. And the first time he got ill. All the other times same level als normal.

That being said, he is a 6-10 level rider who has to get a bit lucky with the circumstances to hit top 5 or perhaps podium. This was his best GT in level and luck so far. No bad thing happened for once

TRENDING THREADS