• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Official Lance-Oprah Excuse Contest

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
thehog said:
This is good.

The words and phrases that may be used by Armstrong, and Ladbrokes' odds:

Sorry 1/4
Apologise 1/4
Confess evens
Conspiracy 1/2
Innocent evens
David Walsh 2/1
Paul Kimmage 2/1
Sunday Times 4/1
British Press/media 4/1
Witch hunt 2/1
Integrity 6/4
Never tested positive Evens
Livestrong 1/4
Team Sky 8/1
Bradley Wiggins 4/1
Sir David Brailsford 8/1
USADA 4/6
WADA 6/4
Tour de France 1/8
Floyd Landis 4/1
Tyler Hamilton 6/4
George Hincapie 4/1
Johan Bruyneel 4/1
Dr. Michele Ferrari 5/6
EPO 6/4

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news...e-armstrong-will-use-during-tv-interview.html

Ha - funny, wonder if Lancey boy will be going down the bookies? Personally quite fancy with hunt at 2-1 seems good odds, also notice cancer isn't on there maybe you can spread bet on it. Not sure how long the show is but will go for 60-80 times.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
"Lance, did Ullrich wait on Luz Ardiden back in 2003?"

"I've got a surprise for you Lance. Our special guest, ladies and gentlemen please welcome: Filippo Simeoni!"

"Have you tried Osymetric rings?"

"Your retics were way low at the 2009 Tour dude."

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
"Sports is entertainment, you cannot expect athletes to perform these acts of extreme endurance without doping. If the public want this form of entertainment, they are going to have to accept that athletes will use supplements."

"Lying is part of the culture"

There's an interesting Letterman interview he gave where he reveals what he might say if ever purposed with defending doping. It was along the lines of "one day they are going to be gene doping, and when we get to that stage we're going to accept it what it is - entertainment".

I think he will say "gene doping".

Somewhere along the line he will give an emotional soliloquy telling the LiveStrong community not to give up.

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Here's how to play. Everyone lists ways or phrases that Armstrong will use to excuse his doping, lying, and bullying. Leeway will be given for longer entries. The winner is whoever gets the most phrases that Armstrong uses. Afterward the winning list will become the official drinking game list for subsequent Armstrong interviews.

1) witch-hunt
2) singled out
3) Everyone was using EPO.
4) All the riders I competed with consider me the seven time winner.
5) I need to get back to fighting cancer.
6) I worked harder than anyone else.
7) I am coming forward for my kids.
8) I was getting my ass kicked by dopers when I first went to Europe.
9) I could not tell the truth because of all the cancer sufferers who believed in me.
10) vendetta

Bro! GOOD job! Excellent! You missed a couple, but hey, other folks brought that to light. Well done, dude.

As for me, I'm in a wait-and-see mode. I have a hard time even believing this is actually happening. I think predictability is low on this one. No bets for me.

Benotti69 said:
William 'Omerta' Fotheringham piece 10 years too late

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/blog/2013/jan/09/ten-questions-oprah-winfrey-lance-armstrong

pity some more so called 'journalists' didn't ask harder questiosn when Walsh, Kimmage and Ballester were asking Armstrong about his doping.

Benotti, Fotheringham is NOT watson. Lighten up. It was through Fotheringham that I first got reporting that told me the doping 90's were more than myth or bitter individuals. His questions that you link to are legit, not omerta. They aren't the BEST questions, based on the consensus of opinion in "The Clinic", but they are good questions - trying to get to the truth. Not trying to find a way to say things so you will believe. So, I think you got this one wrong. But, THANKS for the link! If you hadn't linked it, I wouldna known it was there.

:)

hiero

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
they'll be CGI tears ;)

Maybe he'll have a rubber bulb with somebody else's tears taped underneath his armpit and a small tube connecting this to near his tear ducts. Similar to what Pollentier was caught with during the 1978 Tour?
Expect to see some arm movements moments before the crying!

May 26, 2010
Visit site
SundayRider said:
In an ideal world what would you guys WANT him to say in this interview?

In an ideal world he wouldn't do this interview. This is fluff.

He should sit down with USADA and tell all from when he was doping as a teenager for Tri's to his last ever race, be it Ironman or whatever Tri he did.

Then he should talk to either Walsh or Kimmage about his doping, life his bullying, cheating and Weisel.

That would be meaningful. Going to cry on Oprah's shoulder is hollywood BS and trying to reboot LieStrong and his image of Cancer Jesus.

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
jamiephillips said:
Maybe he'll have a rubber bulb with somebody else's tears taped underneath his armpit and a small tube connecting this to near his tear ducts. Similar to what Pollentier was caught with during the 1978 Tour?
Expect to see some arm movements moments before the crying!

Benotti69 said:
In an ideal world he wouldn't do this interview. This is fluff.

He should sit down with USADA and tell all from when he was doping as a teenager for Tri's to his last ever race, be it Ironman or whatever Tri he did.

Then he should talk to either Walsh or Kimmage about his doping, life his bullying, cheating and Weisel.

That would be meaningful. Going to cry on Oprah's shoulder is hollywood BS and trying to reboot LieStrong and his image of Cancer Jesus.

Maybe this meeting with USADA has happened already just hasn't been made public yet?

May 26, 2010
Visit site
hiero2 said:
Benotti, Fotheringham is NOT watson. Lighten up. It was through Fotheringham that I first got reporting that told me the doping 90's were more than myth or bitter individuals. His questions that you link to are legit, not omerta. They aren't the BEST questions, based on the consensus of opinion in "The Clinic", but they are good questions - trying to get to the truth. Not trying to find a way to say things so you will believe. So, I think you got this one wrong. But, THANKS for the link! If you hadn't linked it, I wouldna known it was there.

:)

hiero

you are welcome for the link.

But totally disagree with Fotheringham being anything but Omerta. He is not fit to polish the shoes of others who took every opportunity to deal with the doping in the sport.

The Guradian are an absolute joke on the doping in cycling. They left the Armstrong issue alone for years. Would not go near it, with 1 or 2 exceptions.

They have recently jumped on the bandwago once it was safe to do so.

Just have to look at omerta mag 'Rouleur' that he is invloved in that will absolutely not address doping in its publication. Never. Let's pretend it does not exist.

Benotti69 said:
you are welcome for the link.

But totally disagree with Fotheringham being anything but Omerta. He is not fit to polish the shoes of others who took every opportunity to deal with the doping in the sport.

The Guradian are an absolute joke on the doping in cycling. They left the Armstrong issue alone for years. Would not go near it, with 1 or 2 exceptions.

They have recently jumped on the bandwago once it was safe to do so.

Just have to look at omerta mag 'Rouleur' that he is invloved in that will absolutely not address doping in its publication. Never. Let's pretend it does not exist.

Read what Fothrington said in 2004 on the Simeoni Incident hardly Omerta Stuff

Link

And don't forget you had to be careful what you could print about Armstrong in a newspaper at the time, just ask the Sunday Times

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
"Everyone was doing it" "Level playing field"
Everyone at the top level was doing it though, you've come up with barely a dozen examples some of whom were competing in the pre EPO era and as you can't 'prove' that they were clean anyway.

SundayRider said:
Everyone at the top level was doing it though, you've come up with barely a dozen examples some of whom were competing in the pre EPO era and as you can't 'prove' that they were clean anyway.

But they were at the top level ONLY because they were doing it.

Best of the dopers isn't necessarily the best overall, if they are riding clean. So no level playing field after all.

In any case, someone decided there shouldn't be doping, there are rules, if you break them and get caught you are out. Simple. Lancey-poo wasn't the first and won't be the last to be sanctioned.

Not to mention the aiding and abetting, trafficking, bullying, bribing etc. etc.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm almost 100% certain that Armstrong will play the victim card. He's done it all along during the USADA investigation. Only this time he will not deny as vehemently as he has always done. It will go somewhere along the line of:

1. Yeah, I did take performance enhancing drugs, but I didn't have a choice
2. My supporters are very important to me
3. I love my family/kids
4. I couldn't put them through this anymore
5. It's been extremely tough for me and my family the last few months.

Oprah will not ask any in-depth doping questions. She is neither knowledgeable nor capable of asking Armstrong any specifics. And she may not want to either, considering they are friends with each other. Oprah will go as easy as possible on Armstrong, maybe the occassional harder questions. But it'll be nauseating for the real cycling fans.

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
TheEnoculator said:
I'm almost 100% certain that Armstrong will play the victim card. He's done it all along during the USADA investigation. Only this time he will not deny as vehemently as he has always done. It will go somewhere along the line of:

1. Yeah, I did take performance enhancing drugs, but I didn't have a choice
2. My supporters are very important to me
3. I love my family/kids
4. I couldn't put them through this anymore
5. It's been extremely tough for me and my family the last few months.

Oprah will not ask any in-depth doping questions. She is neither knowledgeable nor capable of asking Armstrong any specifics. And she may not want to either, considering they are friends with each other. Oprah will go as easy as possible on Armstrong, maybe the occassional harder questions. But it'll be nauseating for the real cycling fans.

You forgot:

1) I am sorry that Tygart has put us all through this.
2) I am sorry that taxpayers money was used this way.
3) I am sorry that the foundation continues to suffer and with it, its quest for the cure....

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
SundayRider said:

Nonsense.

They were at the top level because they were doping. Lance could not even FINISH the Tour until he started using EPO

Did everyone pay Ferrari $1,000,000?
Did everyone have $500,000 to pay off the UCI?
Did everyone have a ignorant national media to ignore the obvious?
Did everyone have positive tests ignored?

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Race Radio said:
Nonsense.

They were at the top level because they were doping. Lance could not even FINISH the Tour until he started using EPO

Did everyone pay Ferrari $1,000,000?
Did everyone have $500,000 to pay off the UCI?
Did everyone have a ignorant national media to ignore the obvious?
Did everyone have positive tests ignored?

I full agree they were at the top level because of doping but you can't deny that there were vast amounts of professional riders doing a lot of doping. Many many times more were, than weren't.