• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 93 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Roglič said himself that he and JV coaching staff decided some time ago to sacrifice some high peak power needed for TT and train more for climbing. And now we are looking at the results.

Roglič also loves a lot of data during riding.
Coach needs to talk a lot and give him a lot of information. It probably killed him in TdF knowing he's in red and can't give anything more, but he was still way off Pogačar pace.

Reactions: Sandisfan
View: https://twitter.com/GracenoteGold/status/1323663131260915714?s=20

Also he is now equal to Chris Froome in number of career wins with 46 (of course Froome's are bigger) and in days wearing the leader's jersey in La Vuelta. Both with 19. Valverde has 27.

Lets remember he's had a 5 year WT career vs. 13 for Froome and 19 for Valverde. Granted he's unlikely to get beyond 10 years since he started so late in life.

Not at all comparable. Roglic was considered to be the better ITT'er and had a 1 minute lead. Every sensible human being expected that Pogacar was going to blow up on the climb, considering he had never shown anything close to being worldclass on flat ITT's and was now putting down one of the best times on the flat section.
Exactly comparable. Roglic would feel he needed to at least keep pace with Pogacar on the flats and the pace was way faster than they would reasonably expect. He couldn't concede too much time and expect Tadej to blow up on the climb. In the end it only emphasized the exceptional ride Tadej had vs. the very average ride of Roglic.

Last edited:
View: https://twitter.com/GracenoteGold/status/1323663131260915714?s=20

Also he is now equal to Chris Froome in number of career wins with 46 (of course Froome's are bigger) and in days wearing the leader's jersey in La Vuelta. Both with 19. Valverde has 27.
And for example he's 46-44 in wins to Nairo Quintana, he's 11-8 in GT stages, 28-23 in WT wins, 1-0 in Monuments, and if he wins Vuelta I think he has the claim to be an overall better rider.

Exactly compatible. Roglic would feel he needed to at least keep pace with Pogacar on the flats and the pace was way faster than they would reasonably expect. He couldn't concede too much time and expect Tadej to blow up on the climb. In the end it only emphasized the exceptional ride Tadej had vs. the very average ride of Roglic.
Reading that seems pretty clear.

I had no idea Roglic had won so many races. I like that.

You can criticize HOW he wins, but not his success rate. I know we like to romanticize doomed long-range attacks -- I certainly do -- but at the end of the day, he's got nearly 50 wins in what, 4+ years as a full time WT rider, and he's not even a sprinter.

All he has to do is get rid of that ugly elbows out climbing style. Everyone knows a stylish rider is a faster one...

You can criticize HOW he wins, but not his success rate. I know we like to romanticize doomed long-range attacks -- I certainly do -- but at the end of the day, he's got nearly 50 wins in what, 4+ years as a full time WT rider, and he's not even a sprinter.
Well I won't, certainly. If he had tried to won differently I suspect that success rate of his wouldn't be like it is today, don't you think...

Are there doubts that he is a better rider than Quintana??
Well Quintana has two grand tours, roglic 1 + monument, both have been second in tdf (was pogacar a more monstrous opponent than froome 2013/2015? I don't think so) and comparable number of wins overall, so...
Of course there is no doubt he is a better rider at this instant, and most likely in the future, but history, for now, seems pretty close to me, probably a tad in favor of Quintana.

Well Quintana has two grand tours, roglic 1 + monument, both have been second in tdf (was pogacar a more monstrous opponent than froome 2013/2015? I don't think so) and comparable number of wins overall, so...
Of course there is no doubt he is a better rider at this instant, and most likely in the future, but history, for now, seems pretty close to me, probably a tad in favor of Quintana.

Maybe I value versatility more than the average person. To me there is no doubt that Roglic is a better bike rider than Quintana ever was.

All he has to do is get rid of that ugly elbows out climbing style. Everyone knows a stylish rider is a faster one...
said Chris Froome :); I kind of like his style on the bike

• Haha