• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The official Wilco Kelderman is the new Merckx-thread

Page 31 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
kelderman performance vs zaka was approximately the same as in st 17 on a mountain roughly the same structure and steepness. that is, very slightly under.

frankly, i expected their relative performance to be the reverse, since, he's 2-3 kg lighter than ilnur. regardless, he's a certain threat to ANY podium and will undoubtedly learn some lessons from this tour.

Kelderman doesn't like super steef stuff though. He likes more regular climbs. So it's no surprise he cracked in the end. I already thought he would after wednesday. 5th was the best possible result he could get. And he was very close to the podium. Above expectations

edit: Kelderman is ofcourse disappointed to lose podium so close to the finish. But he's also very clear, the others were stronger.
He's happy with his performance and glad he found his good legs back. Said in his last Lotto years he went too far in losing weight, causing him to have no power
https://nos.nl/artikel/2192167-kelderman-had-vooraf-getekend-voor-vijfde-plaats.html

Kelderman should be domestique of Dumoulin next year in the Tour. I don't see a great future for him as a leader in a grand tour. Can't handle mountains above 2000 m and he can't handle the pressure and his bike. In the Giro he looked also much happier under the wings of Dumoulin, who gives him a lot more confidence. There's nothing wrong with being domestique of one of the best grand tour riders.

Re:

Sybrand said:
Kelderman should be domestique of Dumoulin next year in the Tour. I don't see a great future for him as a leader in a grand tour. Can't handle mountains above 2000 m and he can't handle the pressure and his bike. In the Giro he looked also much happier under the wings of Dumoulin, who gives him a lot more confidence. There's nothing wrong with being domestique of one of the best grand tour riders.

No he shouldn't. He just finished 4th in a vuelta that didn't even suit him. He could become a podium contender. And even if he doesn't, finishing top 10 in a gt is pretty good in his own right, so they might aswell just let him lead in more gts.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Huh? Kelderman can't handle mountains above 2000? His best performances came on those actually. (Sierra Nevada also this Vuelta)

Kelderman is worst at really steep mountains (Angliru / Zoncolan monsters). He isn't bad at all at altitude
He was also best of the rest on the Stelviogate stage in the 2014 Giro, he's actually pretty good at high altitude.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Sybrand said:
sorry, i dont understand this comment...it relates to something other than what I saw in both the giro and la vuelta...and i followed EVERY STAGE, though i dont post much about it.

Both are very promissing talents for any gt and both still need a polish, more experience and perhaps a mental dimension. To say one is decidely supposed to work for another is to ignore what both have acheived...

Last year, when whe wore the leaders jersey in the Tour de Suisse, on the Rettenbachferner he was very bad on a high altitude. Maybe it was also in combination with high pressure, but it seemed to me he can't handle the high mountaints and is constant enough. And he's surely not a potential podium contender, this Vuelta nearly everything went good, but normally he crashes already once in a one week stage race.

Re:

Sybrand said:
Last year, when whe wore the leaders jersey in the Tour de Suisse, on the Rettenbachferner he was very bad on a high altitude. Maybe it was also in combination with high pressure, but it seemed to me he can't handle the high mountaints and is constant enough. And he's surely not a potential podium contender, this Vuelta nearly everything went good, but normally he crashes already once in a one week stage race.

He is most defiantly a podium contender. Boring rider, but if he climbs like he did this vuelta, and then with keldermans timetrial, he could go very far in a grandtour. He defianlty should get his own chance in future gts, you can't argue against that.

Aug 13, 2016
Visit site
Re: Re:

Frankschleck said:
Sybrand said:

He is most defiantly a podium contender. Boring rider, but if he climbs like he did this vuelta, and then with keldermans timetrial, he could go very far in a grandtour. He defianlty should get his own chance in future gts, you can't argue against that.

I have Kelderman in Top 5 for the Worlds on Wednesday ITT..

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Sybrand said:
I don't know if you can blame the altitude, that was when the team told him to put a compact on his bike, but he refused. :eek:

Re: Re:

Monte said:
Frankschleck said:
Sybrand said:

I have Kelderman in Top 5 for the Worlds on Wednesday ITT..

Yeah he should do that. :)

TRENDING THREADS