• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The official Wilco Kelderman is the new Merckx-thread

Page 32 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Logic-is-your-friend said:
Broken colarbone and a fractured cervical spine (neck vertebra).
Jesus. I don't know what motivates this guy anymore to get back on that bike. I mean, it's not that he's not talented, it's just that his luck, or bike-handling skills rather, is just horrible. I thought Gesink was bad, but this guy takes the cake. :eek: Wish him a speedy recovery of course.

Re:

Salvarani said:
I wonder who they select now instead. Or if they rethink the the schedule for some riders so Tom will have a good team around him, in Giro.
Sunweb are a weird team with useless protocols and no flexibility. They assign leaders months before races, no matter who is or isn’t in form by then. One would think they’d reschedule Oomen or something, but knowing them they’ll have a reserve list and whoever is on there be in no matter the need in capabilities or fit.

When I saw Kelderman come to the front yesterday I knew it would happen ...those tricky roundabouts with him leading the peloton ..aaahhh
Sunweb should have known this was a bad idea

I would say that this will handicap Tom Dumoulin at the Giro but then Tom won without him before and kinda thrives on the lone rider battle stuff
Sunweb seem inflexible though as if an army division

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Born in 1991 and already in a class of his own.

While still so young, he already wins mountain stages, hilly stages, time trials, prologues and even mass sprints in the U23 category. The guy seemingly has no weaknesses. Except ofcourse the dutch falling disease.

It's commonly accepted among insiders that the moment Kelderman becomes pro we will forget all about Sagan, Gesink, Hagen, Rolland and other Taaramae's of this world. As Kelderman easily has more talent in his left toe then all others.
We are at the dawn of the Wilco Kelderman-era.

This is his official thread. Better start it early!
Honours
http://www.dewielersite.net/db2/wielersite/coureurfiche.php?coureurid=36834
Boy oh boy oh boy

Lengthy radio interview. It's in Dutch obviously, but for those who speak it, i think it's interesting.

He says all the bad luck and crashes have made him mentally stronger, yet i can't help getting the impression a bit, that he's not far from throwing in the towel. That's probably a bit overstated (due to the lack of a better word.. in Dutch we'd say "een gelaten indruk"), but as if he lost some "hunger". He says he's realistic and doesn't dream about winning the Tour de France. But he would like to battle for a podium again "one day" in a GT. Giro is his favorite race, and from all the things he says, it seems he would like to ride the Giro more than the TDF this year, but on the other hand, after not having raced for such a long time, it's tempting to go to the Tour, because it starts 5 weeks earlier. He also says he'd rather be a leader than a domestique, when asked.

I'm not the biggest follower of Kelderman, but you get the impression that he is a gentle guy, rather emotional, and well, maybe even a bit "down" (emotionally/mentally). I don't know if he's always been like this, and i think i've read things like that before, that he lacks a bit of a fighters spirit, a burning ambition. That he's too much of a nice guy to be a real winner?

Last edited:
Lengthy radio interview. It's in Dutch obviously, but for those who speak it, i think it's interesting.

He says all the bad luck and crashes have made him mentally stronger, yet i can't help getting the impression a bit, that he's not far from throwing in the towel. That's probably a bit overstated (due to the lack of a better word.. in Dutch we'd say "een gelaten indruk"), but as if he lost some "hunger". He says he's realistic and doesn't dream about winning the Tour de France. But he would like to battle for a podium again "one day" in a GT. Giro is his favorite race, and from all the things he says, it seems he would like to ride the Giro more than the TDF this year, but on the other hand, after not having raced for such a long time, it's tempting to go to the Tour, because it starts 5 weeks earlier. He also says he'd rather be a leader than a domestique, when asked.

I'm not the biggest follower of Kelderman, but you get the impression that he is a gentle guy, rather emotional, and well, maybe even a bit "down" (emotionally/mentally). I don't know if he's always been like this, and i think i've read things like that before, that he lacks a bit of a fighters spirit, a burning ambition. That he's to much of a nice guy to be a real winner?
Thanks for that summary, very interesting.

If you believe for the first years in the peloton you'll challenge for GTs but instead you alternate as top 10 filler or hospital filler I can really understand you slowly lose motivation.

I think cycling is mentally the toughest sport if you're really struggling.

Not a rider I generally spend much time thinking about but he looked very good yesterday. Then I looked him up and his biggest win is still the overall GC in Post Danmark Rundt in 2013. Quite an unfulfilled talent. Perhaps he can break his WT duck in the Giro (or already in Tirreno)? Or will he crash first and ruin it all again?

I hope I'm wrong but this is probably yet another Wilco Kelderman tease so we're all back believing he can podium a GT. I'll wait at least until the second week of the Giro before making any assessment about his chances.
Doesn't have a pretty good record in stages like yesterday in stage races?

If I were Kelderman, I'd aim for the good result in Tirreno rather than go OMG Giro top 5

He deserves a win. I can't believe he has not won anything in the past 5 years (!?)

He looked like the second strongest rider after Woods on the muro. Took over the chase when Thomas died a bit in the last steep 600 m and still had a sprint left at the finish line.

I hope he can win today. At least from a reduced sprint of GC riders.

TRENDING THREADS