• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The official Wilco Kelderman is the new Merckx-thread

Page 34 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Well Almeida is a contender, in the future. just can't see him holding on this edition.

That being said. As a Dutchman well versed in Kelderman's history. IT seems super unikely there won't be anything happening that prevents him winning as well. Or even podium. Either others are stronger or he will have bad luck.
Man you gotta live the moment, even if it ends in tears.

Big of you to discount Almeida as a contender.
Well, i just can't see him not lose time in the mountains. Like i said before, Almeida will not crack, but slowly bleed time. Maybe he is a contender as i do see him top 5 or even podium, but i just don't see him win the overall. He was climbing very well this year, in Algarve, Burgos, Ain... but not "fighting for the win" -good. I don't see him (unlike Kelderman) ride away from the others.

Well, maybe Nibali's voodoo, after getting Kelderman out of the GC, gets into overheated mode and slashes Nibali's chances as well.

But I honestly don't think Almeida can win with such a hard week coming. Or, because of it, he can win if all others bleed time as well.

I'm really intrigued to see how Sunweb will approach this 3rd week. All being equal Wilco takes pink on Madonna di Campiglio, but how much time they think he'll need for the final TT and how they approach the Stelvio stage is super exciting. They also have the option of playing the Hindley card against a field with no other strong team...

I'm really intrigued to see how Sunweb will approach this 3rd week. All being equal Wilco takes pink on Madonna di Campiglio, but how much time they think he'll need for the final TT and how they approach the Stelvio stage is super exciting. They also have the option of playing the Hindley card against a field with no other strong team...
Stage 17: Do nothing until final climb, drill final climb see if Almeida drpos
Stage 18: If you didn't drop Almeida day before > drill Stelvio to drop Almeida. If Kelderman can't drop Almeida, send Hindley up the road
Stage 20: If pink with > 30s, do nothing, see if you can nab seconds in end. If not, drill Izoard.

Reactions: Forever The Best
Stage 17: Do nothing until final climb, drill final climb see if Almeida drpos
Stage 18: If you didn't drop Almeida day before > drill Stelvio to drop Almeida. If Kelderman can't drop Almeida, send Hindley up the road
Stage 20: If pink with > 30s, do nothing, see if you can nab seconds in end. If not, drill Izoard.
Agreed. If they are 2+ min behind coming into stage 20, then drill Agnello.

I hope I'm wrong but this is probably yet another Wilco Kelderman tease so we're all back believing he can podium a GT. I'll wait at least until the second week of the Giro before making any assessment about his chances.
OK now I can make an assessment and I don't really care about all the nonsense I'm reading around here. He's looked solid every single day in this Giro and he's got the best team for mountains. I believe the biggest threat will come from Ineos.

Reactions: Red Rick
OK now I can make an assessment and I don't really care about all the nonsense I'm reading around here. He's looked solid every single day in this Giro and he's got the best team for mountains. I believe the biggest threat will come from Ineos.
Biggest threat is inconsistency. And maybe we're overrating how much better than Almeida he is cause he sat on his teammate the entire climb and Almeida soloed the last 7km.

Biggest threat is inconsistency. And maybe we're overrating how much better than Almeida he is cause he sat on his teammate the entire climb and Almeida soloed the last 7km.

To be fair he sat on his teammate because he was capable of holding that pace. If Almeida could have held onto that pace he would have done so.

It did look though that Wilco was the closest of the final 3 to cracking as he was showing the pressure and pain on his face towards the end.

Could we end up with Froome/Wiggins Vuelta 2011 type situation where it turns out the secondary rider was the strongest but lost time earlier on riding for their teammate and Hindley has cause to look back with regrets.

Even Hart only looked OK following Hindley - that was some turn. Kelderman got what he needed, which is a bigger buffer over the rest while DQS still have the responsibility of the Maglia Rosa.

Almeida looking more and more like a genuine threat, but how much is left in the tank? DQS having to ride for at least another day will only help Sunweb.

Hope Hindley sets an inferno pace and drops Wilco and they let him up the road. Hindley is the better climber, was a real poor bit of class by Wilco bringing him back aswell. Sunweb may really regret not letting Hindley go up the road. If someone needed a break over the years it is Wilco he had so much promise as a youngster.

TRENDING THREADS