• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The official Wilco Kelderman is the new Merckx-thread

Page 40 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
At the rate he keeps crashing and keeps injuring himself, last year's Giro could be haunting him for the rest of his life. He's never going to have a chance like that again.
Still wondering if or how much better he could have been without months/years of injuries that pulled him back.
One could argue that part of being good/better is not to crash that much. Surely some crashes are just bad luck or someone else's fault but when you're crashing that much there has to be something yours's to it (positioning, handling, even fear or insecurity). Or maybe he doesn't crash much more than others statistically but has just bad luck with injuries/consequences.

At the rate he keeps crashing and keeps injuring himself, last year's Giro could be haunting him for the rest of his life. He's never going to have a chance like that again.
Still wondering if or how much better he could have been without months/years of injuries that pulled him back.
so unlucky at well

Look at this season alone:
  • Got hit by a car (and several of his teammates) at training
  • Woods fell in front of him, which is why he fell, in basque country.

Wrong place/wrong time

• Sad
Reactions: Sandisfan
I don't think he can regret anything about that Giro though (apart from his interviews).
He rode to his limit. Hindley and TGH were simply better.
Maybe given the circumstances, he couldn't have done any better, but I still think a Kelderman in his best shape, could have sealed the deal. Or if he rode for a team that allowed ketones? I don't know.

One could argue that part of being good/better is not to crash that much. Surely some crashes are just bad luck or someone else's fault but when you're crashing that much there has to be something yours's to it (positioning, handling, even fear or insecurity). Or maybe he doesn't crash much more than others statistically but has just bad luck with injuries/consequences.
Did he have issues like this in his junior/espoir years? I can't remember anything that would indicate his run of accidents/injuries due to lack of bikehandling skills. I've been wondering if it could be related to lack of concentration?

But i also do think he simply gets injured easily. Obviously Evenepoel's last crash -falling off a bridge- resulted in a possibly career/life ending injury, but in his first year, he crashed about a dozen times, every time without injury. Once they pulled him out of the UAE tour to be safe, but he had no physical issues. Had this happened to Kelderman, you'd think he would have been in the hospital for 6 months accumulated. Isn't he nimble enough? Does he have the wrong or slow reflexes when falling?

At this point i just don't belief in "bad luck" anymore.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
So 5th in GC..., but really this is just an invisible and pretty meaningless performance imo.
Well, in Wilco's defence he fell 3 times this Tour de France and had a bruised elbow the entire TDF. Which seriously hampered him in the time trials. I think he did well considering.

Look how many leaders fell of their bikes and didn't perform.

I think people are super overly critical of Wilco because he is an unspectacular rider. His performances however are one of the most consistent of the entire World Tour peloton...
What was it again, 130 top 10's in WT races without a win now?

translation:
Wilco Kelderman suffered several fractures in his serious fall five kilometers from the finish of the 3rd stage of the Benelux Tour. A pelvic fracture and two broken ribs were diagnosed in the hospital. He also sustained a deep wound on his left arm. However, an operation is not necessary, as his team announced in the evening.