• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Olympic Individual TT 2016. Rio de Janeiro. 54,6km

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win the Olympic gold in the men's individual time trial in Rio 2016?

• Fabian Cancellara

Votes: 23 14.9%
  • Jonathan Castroviejo

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Rohan Dennis

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • Tom Dumoulin

Votes: 50 32.5%
  • Chris Froome

Votes: 33 21.4%
  • Ion Izagirre

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Vasil Kiryienka

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Tony Martin

Votes: 12 7.8%
  • Nelson Oliveira

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • Primoz Roglic

Votes: 9 5.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re:

Armchair cyclist said:
There are 38 riders, given the withdrawals of Nibali and Porte. The course has a 24.8km loop that is done twice, with a 2.5km run in/out.

So how are they managing this in terms of start times? Will there be 19 no-hopers first, with all of these completing their second laps before the favourites start at all, or will they allow some to be starting lap 1 as others start lap 2? I suppose a more radical solution might be to have riders starting at 30 second intervals; that way they could have constant starts, but avoid riders on different laps alongside each other.

In short, I suppose I'm asking if the start times have been released?

The UCI site still describes cobbles on each lap: that is definitely out of date, yes?

I would make a guess that it's going to be done in waves - 1st half of starters with 90 second intervals for example, then a pause for then to finish and then the second half.

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
Re:

Armchair cyclist said:

What places are available? Do Italy and Australia not have any other rider who wants the places that would have been for Nibali and Porte? Are other places being foregone? And by what criteria are others invited to fill them?

If it is based on the 2015 WC (the only criterion whereby teams currently have a second spot) Portugal would be eligible before GB.

Colombia are dropping out as well. Don't know if you've taken that into account.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Armchair cyclist said:

What places are available? Do Italy and Australia not have any other rider who wants the places that would have been for Nibali and Porte? Are other places being foregone? And by what criteria are others invited to fill them?

If it is based on the 2015 WC (the only criterion whereby teams currently have a second spot) Portugal would be eligible before GB.
Couldn't Italy and Australia give the spot to one of their Track riders, would that be possible?

Re:

Armchair cyclist said:

I believe Bardet has also flown home today.

Portugal doesn't have anyone besides Nelson, so GB can have the spots.

Costa went home on sunday, because he didn't manage to spend much time with his family between the tour and the olympics. André Cardoso sucks on ITTs. José Mendes is not bad, but I think he also left Brazil.

Regarding the results, I just want Nelson to get a medal. Don't really care about the rest.

Re: Re:

johnymax said:
BalearicBeats said:
I think Castroviejo will do better than expected
What does it mean? What is he expected to do? I think he'll be close to medal positions so if he grabs the bronze I wouldn't be surprised. If he gets gold, now this would be a "medium" surprise. Do you think he'll win gold?

No I was thinking that not many expect him to be top 5 even but I think he might get a medal, although gold is probably a bit farfetched.

Re: Re:

Mayomaniac said:
Armchair cyclist said:

Couldn't Italy and Australia give the spot to one of their Track riders, would that be possible?

Why would any of the track riders want the spot if it was available?

Re:

Pricey_sky said:
With slight doubts about the 2 favourites it could be a surprising result. Not sure how well Dumoulin has recovered from his Tour injury in terms of his prep for the race, whilst Froome seemed to fade badly in the final k's of the road race.

Probably saving himself for the TT after he was out of it.

TRENDING THREADS