The pedaling technique thread

Page 87 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 18, 2015
No, I don't understand.
Pedal forces result from a combination of muscular forces and gravity and inertia forces. Most of the ineffective forces are due to gravity (eg the weight of the limb when the pedal is coming up). Those forces stay constant. The muscular forces that cyclists choose to produce are highly effective. So as power (and muscular force) increase, the ratio of effective to ineffective goes up.

Is that something you can understand Noel?
Noel is a "flat earther" of cycling. A true believer.

No amount of evidence, logic and sense are going to convince him. He worships upon the altar of Anquetil's mythical pedalling and such deep faith can't be reasoned with. Perhaps a visit from the ghost of Jacques crying out in a ghostly rhythm "just push harder Noel, just push harder... that is the secret", may just help.

Jun 4, 2015
If Anquetil had never existed I would still have discovered his technique, because I found it when I succeeded in biomechanically combining arm and leg power. For that you need to generate a powerful forward force and that simple chair racing technique was the solution.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2015
What about unweighting the rising pedal ?
That would require a muscular force. Everyone does this to some extent. As mentioned months or years ago in this thread, all studies which investigate really pulling up show that it REDUCES efficiency / INCREASES metabolic cost. Even in a single legged cyclist, pulling up LESS is more efficient.
Alex is right. Not sure why I got sucked back in to this black hole of a thread. Maybe again in a year or two.
Bye bye Noel. Feel free to have the last word.
Jim

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2015
There is a vast difference between 'unweighting' and 'pulling up' .
In seated pedalling pulling up decreases power at 3 o'c, unweighting increases it.

From Slowtwitch
" Fleck
Mar 11, 05 8:18
Post #9 of 24 (2926 views)
They have done research on top time trialists and what they found was that they were the ones that consistently applied the most force at 3:00 o'clock - period. They also found there was minimal "lifting" of the recovery leg. What was really happening was that these top time trialists were managing to get the recovery leg out of the way, the fastest and most effectively so the on-leg could apply the most power. It also gave the off leg a microsecond or so of recovery.

Fleck "

( as quickly as possible for best effect looks better than " , the fastest and most effectively")

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2015
Re: Re:

Yes, a solid research paper, but what does a cyclist gain from it ? TT pedalling is not about maximizing power from the muscles, it's about maximizing sustainable power. So the important question is, how do you switch your pedalling style from maximal power to one that will supply maximal sustainable power.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0765159719300280
The findings from that study are in keeping with the explanation as to why oval shaped chainrings will not work. All of which confirms high power pedalling technique will only change when a conscious effort is made to do so with a clear objective in mind.

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY